Hi all,

I've finally done it...

After many months (years even) of thinking about it, and developing it, before scrapping the thing and starting again, I finally managed to get the new Oerlikon kit into production for Ally Pally, and promptly sold out by lunchtime on Saturday!

I have just had a new set back from the printers, and I thought it would be a good time to post a photo of my completed DM in all it's glorious green-ness.

post-8704-0-56646800-1365452547_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-00113200-1365452586_thumb.jpg

I was so pleased with the response at Ally Pally, that I have already started on one in LMS red, as well as getting the 501 re-printed, and looking at the drawings for 1930 GEC stock. Whatever have I started?!?

For me it's that they have elements of modernity and elegance in something ultimately so mundane that make the Oerlikons and Siemens so attractive (and there's an element of what-if-ness about them given when they were built).

Many thanks for bringing out the kit; looking forward to another livery. One request: would it be possible either to have parts/representation for end panelling and what look like driver blinds or a colour-matched bit of card for making these on the next release, please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Charlie,

Please can you bring a card kit along to the Thames Valley Model Rail Expo for me?

Cheers,

Nigel

It's in the car now Nigel, along with a 501 for comparision... I can't find the built up sample though. I could have sworn it was in the clubroom, but I must have buried it in a box after Ally Pally.

The LNWR and LMS liveries are now drawn up and ready to go. I will get them printed once the level of green ones in the cabinet has gone down a bit more.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've finally done it...

After many months (years even) of thinking about it, and developing it, before scrapping the thing and starting again, I finally managed to get the new Oerlikon kit into production for Ally Pally, and promptly sold out by lunchtime on Saturday!

I have just had a new set back from the printers, and I thought it would be a good time to post a photo of my completed DM in all it's glorious green-ness.

attachicon.gifDSCF3717.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3719.JPG

I was so pleased with the response at Ally Pally, that I have already started on one in LMS red, as well as getting the 501 re-printed, and looking at the drawings for 1930 GEC stock. Whatever have I started?!?

An absolutely superb job - WELL DONE, and good luck with sales!

:-)

Thank you all for the interest. In answer to the questions:

Kevin; I will post some phots of the completed set, as soon as i get round to completing the set! I always build up the DM as a photographic and display dummy, and the rest of the set tends to follow when I have time to build it. the Oerlikon is quite high up the list though.

Andy; I have just had a reprint done including some minor detail changes, so there are plenty in stock. I don't know the forum rules about direct linking to my website, so I'd better not, but if you google Card Oerlikon kit it should take you to my ebay shop.

Stewart; Yes, they're both from the same stable along with the 501. The 306 doesn't seem to have captured the imagination of the public in quite the same way as the Oerlikon did. Shame, 'cos I like them!!!

Must admit I like the 306. I'm a bit hesitant about building it in card though, and was wondering about doing it as an overlay on plasticard (as | o with Scalescenes buildings). Basically scan the kit I bought, but print the scan onto self-adhesive labels, stick them to plasticard. This would also allow some depth to the door openings etc. However, would I be infringing copyright?

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

Must admit I like the 306. I'm a bit hesitant about building it in card though, and was wondering about doing it as an overlay on plasticard (as | o with Scalescenes buildings). Basically scan the kit I bought, but print the scan onto self-adhesive labels, stick them to plasticard. This would also allow some depth to the door openings etc. However, would I be infringing copyright?

Stewart

I wouldn't have a problem, as long as it's for personal use. the only thing I would say is that you might start to lose detail in the scanning and reprinting process, also it is a sod of a shape to make up in a thicker material.

I always recommend cutting out the apertures, and mounting the sides on acetate. This gives a good flaxible but firm base, then you can build up on the back with either plasticard or mountboard to add some strength. My other trick (Which I include on some kits now if there is space) is to cut out the trailing ends, and use them as a template to make formers. That way you can have a series of ribs along the inside of the car (like in model aircraft construction) which will give you a good strong model without the need for too much lateral support.

Any chance of doing a BR livery version for Lancaster Morecambe Heysham.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I have been looking at producing a kit for the Morcambe stock, the only problem is that it was converted from the Earls Court 'Siemens' sets, not Oerlikons, and they are very different. I have some drawings, but not all the ones I would need. The NLRHS book on the history of LNWR/LMS/BR London area DC EMUs will be out soon, and I think there is more reference in there which I haven't winkled out yet, so watch this space!

EDIT: Wish I could spell Morecambe!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

I have been looking at producing a kit for the Morcambe stock, the only problem is that it was converted from the Earls Court 'Siemens' sets, not Oerlikons, and they are very different. I have some drawings, but not all the ones I would need. The NLRHS book on the history of LNWR/LMS/BR London area DC EMUs will be out soon, and I think there is more reference in there which I haven't winkled out yet, so watch this space!

EDIT: Wish I could spell Morecambe!!!

Hi There, don't bust a gut on my behalf for the LMH sets as I've got quite enough to do trying top do my 7mm Midland sets for Green Ayre.  I do however have a very extensive collection of photos of the Siemens stock up at Lancaster.  many of them are copyright so i can't post them but if you PM me I could share them with you for reference purposes.

Jamie

Archived