• RMweb Gold

Nice work and you can't beat some static grasswork. ;) A big difference from modelling the Teign Valley line too.

Thanks Robin. Yes static grass certainly adds to the effect though my local model shop in Northampton only stock 2mm length stuff so I need to order some of the longer grass as I mentioned above.

Don't worry about the Teign Valley line either ;)  As I also mentioned above I have my core interests and that is one of them. Look out for post war Panniers/Prairies in GWR times around Trusham! :)

The idea of Juniper Hill is to test a few ideas, share my interest in the ironstone quarry lines, act as a photo plank and above all have a layout to shunt a few wagons up and down. It is also being constructed to be suitable for exhibition display with appropriate lighting etc.  In theory if I removed the water tank and replaced it with something else you could almost have a generic layout.

Very nice - I like a bit of Industrial, and Ive been to the real Juniper Hill :O

Isnt that the village that is the "real" Lark Rise to Candleford place?

Thanks Mickey and it's not in Kernow either. :D  Stubby may provide the Cornish theme with that mystery structure! ;)

Not sure about the Lark Rise to Candleford reference. The real Juniper Hill is just south of Brackley on the A43. The name has always fascinated me and I decided to use it. Obviously the real Juniper Hill never had a railway or ironstone quarry-the nearest being around Hook Norton I think?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to stop at the real JH for a snout break, when the goods in transit were a bit too good to leave in motorway service station car parks :D

Bentley 8 litre engines in the back of P100 pick ups are a bit stealable......

The mind boggles Mickey. I'm sure there's a very good story in there somewhere :D

......... ill not mention why i read Flora Thompson..... the book aint like the thing on TV ;)

Go on Mickey. Between you and me!

• RMweb Gold

Just my cup of tea Mark! Great stuff...

Thanks Simon. ;)

Hopefully there's atmosphere developing in JH portraying the industrial theme of the quarry systems.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest oldlugger

It certainly is Mark; it's already got lots of atmosphere and has loads of potential. If ever you expanded the layout some long (slightly crooked rail) weed choked sidings with rock and stone dust debris would look great.

All the best

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is Mark; it's already got lots of atmosphere and has loads of potential. If ever you expanded the layout some long (slightly crooked rail) weed choked sidings with rock and stone dust debris would look great.

There may be potential to use the fiddle yard area and add on to the board if necessary. At present JH will stay as it is-never say never though! :)

Your description of crooked rails, weed choked sidings and all the debris kind of fills the remit I want to achieve with JH. Thanks for your comments Simon-really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this Mark :O

For some reason I thought you were setting up a blog for it, so I only stumbled upon it just now with VNC...

Looks great and well done for getting that soldering iron out and warmed up...love the reference to the ironing board too :D

Some nice cropped shots too really capturing the scene and thanks for the mention re the dalerboard...who I note are no longer your sponsors ;)

Look forward to keeping up with JH and having commented it's now stored in my content...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this Mark :O

For some reason I thought you were setting up a blog for it, so I only stumbled upon it just now......

....... Dalerboard..who I note are no longer your sponsors ;)

Seek and ye shall find! :D

I've never had a layout thread before and thought it would be good to have a continuous flow as opposed to the blog style of things. Plus I thought it might keep me focused.  You know me! :)

As for the Dalerboard-two sheets of Windsor blue procured yesterday! :D

Thanks Pete for the comments too.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been busy over the past few days. I've completed the backscene and I'm presently working on on the presentation and lighting aspect of JH.  As you can see JH is now mounted on a 4 inch plynth made from 4mm ply. This has received a covering of 'Windsor Blue' Dalerboard which will be the presentation colour/

The backscene is Dalerboard sprayed with a mixture of Valejo/Tamiya and Railmatch acrylics.  I then over sprayed the whole backscene with a thin coat of white just to blend/tone things down. With a layout this size you don't want to overpower the foreground.

As I say I'm working on the lighting which will be a flourescent fish tank light but here's a few shots on the work bench with daylight and light from an anglepoise.

post-7584-0-57122900-1366202102_thumb.jpg

Here's a few shots of an empty yard showing the backscene. Ideally I should have curved the corners to avoid the vertical line in the sky.

post-7584-0-71218300-1366202112_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-73141100-1366202125_thumb.jpg

We haven't seen much of the entrance/exit to fiddle yard side of things. Here's the Sentinel 'Twywell' passing the mystery hut. You can see the lovely hole in the sky hidden by the goods shed and also there will be a wing on the front display hiding it further.

post-7584-0-87714500-1366202135_thumb.jpg

Talking of the goods shed here's Terry the site foreman with his cat Marbles on the loading step surveying the Northamptonshire countryside.

post-7584-0-55644300-1366202149_thumb.jpg

For those of you who live in Northamptonshire 'Juniper Hill' will be appearing at its first exhibition this Saturday having been invited to the annual 'Rushden Hope Methodist Church Model Railway Show' from 10.00-16.30. Come and say hello if you are attending.  There's normally about 10 layouts and a few trade stalls plus excellent food/drinks.

I've been winding up Pete (BCNPete) with talk of deadlines to reach with the music from the '24' series. Think I need to get my skates on now!  :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few progress shots of the fascia and lighting I've achieved this pm.

Dalerboard glued together forms the wings and pelmet and can be folded. Just needs the 'Juniper Hill' name in the top left hand corner to hide the join line on the pelmet strip.  I'll also make add an information board to the fiddle yard area on the front highlighting the history, research and build of the layout for those interested.

post-7584-0-99390100-1366216607_thumb.jpg

The lighting gantry if thats the right word is a piece if 2x1 with the fish tank light mounted on it which locks on the the back scene.

post-7584-0-23847000-1366216620_thumb.jpg

Here's an Eastern interloper in the shape of Sentinel 68184 which I need to weather because there may be an Eastern influenced running period on Saturday with a Class 03 making an appearance.

post-7584-0-53030500-1366216632_thumb.jpg

Finally 'Twywell' runs up to the tank to fill up her water.

post-7584-0-90812800-1366216659_thumb.jpg

Bit more tonight then need to start on sorting/cleaning wheels of stock and adding some further scenics to the layout including bushes and one or two people etc.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Thankyou for those kind words. Juniper Hill has kind of fallen together today. Theres a few bit to sort and the scenery won't be totally complete but its almost there I guess.

As for stock it's not going to be a Sentinel fest! :D 'Twywell' is sat on work bench and is a favourite-hence her regular appearance in the photos.

Although designed around an ironstone quarry system this Saturday will see Juniper Hill running not only with the Hunslet/Sentinel but a BR Sentinel/Class 03.  My operating colleague Tony will be bringing a BR Terrier and also Thomas and Percy may make an appearance with the troublesome trucks!

The plan is to have 3-4 wagons appropriate to period plus 1-2 locos on the layout. There was talk of a DCC sound Class 08 but that idea has been scrapped I think.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cue 24 music :P...

Nice work Mark.

That framed view really works well - nice subtle back scene too and well lit.

As you say yourself, the vertical corner would have been nice but you can always revisit that after your first exhibition - I added mine on CJM afterwards by scoring some ***** board on the back and curving it in to blend :D

Good luck with the exhibition and I look forward to hear a progress report on how it performed and was received...

post-3290-0-96779100-1366235973.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cue 24 music :P...

Nice work Mark.

That framed view really works well - nice subtle back scene too and well lit.

As you say yourself, the vertical corner would have been nice but you can always revisit that after your first exhibition - I added mine on CJM afterwards by scoring some ***** board on the back and curving it in to blend :D

Good luck with the exhibition and I look forward to hear a progress report on how it performed and was received...

Morning Pete,

Thanks for the thumbs up B)

It's come together nicely so a few bit to sort before Saturday though should be ok. Will see how it performs in public but JH should be ok. As you say I can revisit area of the layout I feel I'm not happy with including those corners on the back scene,

The layout is going to be displayed on an ironing board-no hot iron action though! :D

Thanks for the 24 clock as well-Great stuff! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

It's been a busy day preparing Juniper Hill for it's first exhibition. Everything is packed ready to be loaded into the car in the morn ready for setting up at the church hall around 8.30.

It's a brilliant feeling knowing you're gong to be showing your layout to the public. One of excitement and intrepidation.

I'll take some photos so hopefully updates either tomorrow night or Sunday.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and ticking the 'Like' box.  Today I thought about it how I've progressed in the period since I've been a member on this site. I know RMweb has enabled me to develop my modelling skills and in the process meet and get to know some great modellers-some who have become good friends. 

Kind of sounds like some sort of BAFTA Awards speech! :)

Anyway-the exhibition is being held at Hope Methodist Church Hall, Park Road, Rushden, Northanptonshire from 10.00-16.30. Think it should be a good do! Say 'Hello' if you're attending.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work  Mark.

You've captured the atmosphere of the ironstone quarry lines really well - it looks just like some of the sites I knew in Leicestershire and Lincolnshire just before they closed.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You've captured the atmosphere of the ironstone quarry lines really well - it looks just like some of the sites I knew in Leicestershire and Lincolnshire just before they closed.

Thanks Dave for those kind words. I'm glad it brought some memories back for you too. There were some lovely systems in those areas.

I'm lucky having the old quarries on my door step but I've used a book called 'Steam railways in colour around Northamptonshire' by Coleman and Rajczonek (1993) for reference which has a series of photographs of some of the quarry systems around the county.

It's interesting as I learnt that Ivo Peters actually came and took photos of the quarry systems too.

I'd love to run an Heljan BSC Class 14 as used at Corby but I think it would be too big for Juniper Hill.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Having seen JH at Rushden today, may I be the first to say ' Good Work Mark'!!! after having seen it in the flesh at an exhibition. As for the 'Teddy Bear'.....well you have my views!! Looking forward to seeing JH, you and Suzy (and Tony one suspects!!) on the local circuit a bit more

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having seen JH at Rushden today, may I be the first to say ' Good Work Mark'!!! after having seen it in the flesh at an exhibition. As for the 'Teddy Bear'.....well you have my views!! Looking forward to seeing JH, you and Suzy (and Tony one suspects!!) on the local circuit a bit more

Hi Dave, 

A really good day, one I enjoyed and didn't have to do too much operating wise with Tony at the controls :)

My first exhibition and 'Thanks' for the thumbs up and the advice.

As for the 'Teddy Bear' well seeing as we played bounce the Hunslet/Austerity today a Teddy Bear may be a suitable replacement for the Hunslet whilst in for repair.

Good to see you again and your layout Snape Maltings.  All being well see you on the 8/6/13 in Harborough.

Cheers,

Mark

Here's a picture of Tony at the controls of JH being watched by his wife Barbara and..........

post-7584-0-92341400-1366499989_thumb.jpg

Good to meet you today Mark. Juniper Hill looks great.

See you soon and I hope at Wrecrail in June!!!

Cheers

Nobby

Thankyou Nobby. Wrecrail is penciled in my diary the day after a very special day! :)

Cheers,

Mark

Put me on the subs bench for Wrecrail if a space comes up! :D

Here's a few more shots of the day too.

JH set up prior to the doors opening, beneth the pulpit in front on the communuion rail. Sat on an ironing board.  I think that JH does need to be raised another foot on the ironing board to assist viewing. Something I'll look in to.

post-7584-0-29430400-1366500130_thumb.jpg

Sentinel 68184 at rest near water tank captured on film by a renowned railway photographer Jonty Chambers.

post-7584-0-66874000-1366500160_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-06553400-1366500180_thumb.jpg

Later on 'Twywell and 'Cranford taking on water.

post-7584-0-86156100-1366500629_thumb.jpg

Edited by 46444
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to say thanks to the organisers of show yesterday and I believe that the show was very successful raising a good sum of money towards the new church building.

It was good meeting the likes of Dave, Nobby and George as well.  It was an excellent show, larger than last year and one that is moving to a bigger venue next year. There was a good selection of layouts in all scales offering something for everyone.

Juniper Hill behaved itself in operation with only a few glitches-one being that 'Percy' was out of gauge demolishing the water tank every time he passed it amongst other things.  Other than that, a broken telegraph wire and a bent Hunslet/Austerity to repair were the only casualties of the day.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1