4mm Harsco Rail Grinder Twin Set

Pete Harvey

• RMweb Gold

I hope Pete does not mind me responding to this question.

The base model is etched, NS at a guess. If you look at the CAD renditions posted above the light grey items are resin castings. The buffers are going to be lost wax brass.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Pete.

I haven't seen the MR article, so that may have the answers.

It looks like it is fitted with fabricated Y25's. Are you doing a casting for them or using a previously available item?

What motor unit are you planning on using?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

It should have Y27s really, as they do need fittings for the drive gear in real life ;)

Bachmann Y25s although cast not fabricated are fine for a model in reality, but the wheel diameter is too big at 12mm, 11mm needed if you are fussy about these things and wish to go the Ultrascale route ....

Cambrian do the fabricated ones though, but you still have to supply your own wheels

Edited by RedgateModels

Mick

The Kit uses proprietary bogies to be supplied by the customer.

The drive mechanism still has to be finalized before release, it will be of a single bogie in one of the units.

The kit has been designed with DCC in mind with paths for wire runs and the fitment of a Sound Chip which will be in development soon from a very well know creator of sound chips.

I will post more info on the kit as it becomes available.

Pete

Edited by Pete Harvey
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I'll field this one for Pete. The kit will not include bogies, so it will be up to the builder to source. There are the Bachmann Y25s for those who want a quick fix or Cambrian do a more accurate (for the model) fabricated Y25. There are some differences between Y25s and Y27s used under our Grinders, extra bracing etc to accommodate the drive etc.

I would have thought that either of these bogies could be modifed for EM or P4 (never having done it I'm no expert though!)

Drive has not yet been finalised, but I know Pete is looking at Hollywood Foundry for a motor bogie unit. Some modification of the plain bogies will be needed to fit to the drive unit as is normally the case with these things.

Hope this helps

Ian

• Like 1

I've used the Cambrian Y25s on my autoballasters.

Regarding the motor arrangement I would suggest a black beetle motor bogie as its avaliable in 00.EM and P4, its doddle to fit, doesnt reqire assembly, and as a bonus the cambrian bogie sides can be glued to it.

Jonathan

Hi Pete ( & Ian, :) ).

Will the solebar mounted access ladders come only as shown, or will there be a 'two part' version, to allow it go negotiate Std 'RTR' radius curvatures as well?

TIA

Mike

Edited by meld

• RMweb Gold

Who's been studying the prototype then ;)

Pete has modelled the two part ladders that are currently fitted to our "EU1" units (not sure if they have been rolled out over the NR fleet). These modified ladders are only fitted to the cab end of the loco but may also be fitted to the non-driving end if clearance is tight with the prototypical one piece versions.

post-6717-0-50244800-1367481622.jpg

What Pete actually makes available in the commercial kit is not yet finalised but I will pass your comments on to him.

• Like 1

I snapped DR79274 & DR79264 at Clapham Junction in December 2006 and I do fancy a kit!

attachicon.gifIMG01679.jpg

I assume that means that there are five of these on the UK network with 79261-79265 paired up with 79271-79275.  Since they seem to have been introduced in 2003, that means that one would fit my time period nicely.

I'm not so keen on a kit: I'd rather it was ready to run, but I could be persuaded to have a go, depending on price.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

OK quick potted history

first five units (UK1 to UK5) numbered DR7926N/7927N where N is the unit number were brought over late in 2003 (ish). UK5 is withdrawn to all intents and purposes as a fire gutted one car, the remaining half is stored at Eastleigh as a spare.

This year NR bought a new unit to replace UK5, now known as UK7 numbered DR79267/77 - spot the gap?

We (Harsco) have our own unit designated EU1 which came over from the USA before UK7 so took the numbers 79266/76. It's currently in Milan working on their Metro system. The EU spec machines, which includes UK7 and any subsequent additions to the fleet are slightly different spec to make them more compatible with European regs etc. EU1 is also trip-cock fitted for LUL work.

A program of continual improvement is seeing the original 4.5 units being brought up to a similar spec to the EU series. There will always be detail differences, but a main feature that has changed across the fleet is the huge air intakes/ducts on the roof have gone to be replaced by the much smaller ones (or none at all) that you see in Pete's design.

compare this pic of the roof of EU1 (taken at the East Lancs) to that posted by Welly to see the differences that have been made to the design to accept a wider range of loading gauges

post-6717-0-97421600-1367613594_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not so keen on a kit: I'd rather it was ready to run, but I could be persuaded to have a go, depending on price.

David, Pete will be lining up a couple of well known kit builders to build the kits for those who don't fancy wielding a soldering iron. Personally I can't wait :)

P.S. "your" machine will be UK1 David, the only time it ventures south is when it's working it's way down to Ashford for annual maintenance. It was at Rutherglen this week, I used to catch it for inspection at Tyne Yard though, nice drive up the A1, see Rusty Rita, McDonalds on the way back down south, job done :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh and MERG will be publishing in their "pocket money projects" series a circuit for an arc welding simulator - I'm going to use a couple of these with some nice orange/yellow LEDs to simulate the grinding :)

• Like 4

Does the kit come with 4mm gloves too?

Sorry...very impressive to date

Their boxey appearance will suit a finely executed etch, looking forward to how it develops

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

Who's been studying the prototype then ;)

Pete has modelled the two part ladders that are currently fitted to our "EU1" units (not sure if they have been rolled out over the NR fleet). These modified ladders are only fitted to the cab end of the loco but may also be fitted to the non-driving end if clearance is tight with the prototypical one piece versions.

attachicon.gifIMG_0033_crop.jpg

What Pete actually makes available in the commercial kit is not yet finalised but I will pass your comments on to him.

Hi Ian, I was just looking at the posted CAD's at the begining of the thread which currently show a solid ladder set, and I was just thinking that if it was left a solid ladder, anyone with 'tight' radius will possibly find difficulty getting the bogies to turn enough without some sort of 'homebrew' modification or having to leave them off.

I was not aware of the split step on the EU1 prototype, until your pic that is, and I would suggest that BOTH versions, original and revised, are added to the frets, which will simply allow the possibility of the Modifcation your mention to be covered, give the maximum sales potential, a pontetial 'pat on the back' for thoughtfulness in reviews and also head off the whingers when it won't go around someones curves on their layout and the loudly broadcast it to the world!

I'm sure Pete will add both step versions to the fret, but just thought it was worth the question anyway, :).

ATB

Mike

Great work to the both of you, this is one kit i'm looking forward to this year and i'm glad to see it's come to fruition. Look's like i better the old Flickr account sorted out then and add the Eastleigh Works shots i have of them to it.

post-7515-0-61495000-1367617258.jpg

post-7515-0-17511000-1367617356_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to wet your appetites I ment with Pete at the Derby Show yesterday and he let me get my mitts on this

post-6717-0-73392100-1368439652_thumb.jpg

Also as Pete has modelled the bogies he is also looking to get a 3D print master done and have at least the idle bogies cast in resin. Drive for the OTM is still being considered, with the smallest black beetle currently being the favoured option. Pete will know more once the chassis etc is constructed and he can better determine what option will work best.

• Like 10