4mm Harsco Rail Grinder Twin Set

Pete Harvey

Having seen this thread, I found myself sat next to #3 at Westbury the other week, so grabbed some detail pics for any kitbuilders. :)

ZWA_79263_79273_DR_Westbury_10052013%20%

I'd shot the unit previously at Leeds (2007) - and those images are also included in the collection - including a high angle shot of the original roof details if anyone wants to backdate - thanks for the info ref the rebuild, I'd wondered why the vents looked somewhat different between the two sets of images!

ZWA_79263_79273_DR_Leeds_150407d-L.jpg

Link to images:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/Wagons-and-OTP/ZWA-Harsco-rail-grinder/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Costs are not finalised yet as final prices for castings etc have not been received. Also the best way to move forward with bogies and drive system will not be finalised unitl the first off chassis is built. Watch this space, but Pete is not planning to launch the kit until Warley (autumn this year). Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest pics from the workbench of Mr Harvey :)

post-6717-0-24841600-1370258377_thumb.jpg

The diseasel is there just for scale comparison ;)

post-6717-0-52388500-1370258381_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-74916900-1370258394_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-85423400-1370258402_thumb.jpg

Those visiting the Melton Show at the weekend should be able to see the first two car set in primer :)

• Like 13

Looking very impressive.

Any news regarding motorising the model. Will it definatly be a black beetle, and if so how will you to gain access to tighten up the bogie retaining screw? Tis issue caused me real problems on the 08-16 kit - I had to completly redesign the roof and chassis.

Will you have the model at next months DEMU show?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan

There will not be a model going to DEMU I am afraid.

As for the drive system there is something in development at the moment and after a revision to the drive system it will not be a Black Beetle. It is still in the design stage as some parts need to be finalized, but there will be easy access to remove the upper body on the driven unit for wiring and maintenance. The modeller will have a shopping list of parts to buy hopefully from just three suppliers, (this is to allow other manufacturers to get a piece of the cake so to speak)  the motor and method of connecting the motor to the final drive is to be decided by the modeller.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks,for the update,

I only thought Blackbeetles would be more preferable as they are avaliable in OO,EM, and P4 off peg. If a custom mechanism is being produced will it be avaliable or capable of being built in EM or P4?

Jonathan

Depends, on a couple of factors.

Measuring a Gibson wheel set, the width from outside face to outside face is 21.83mm, so yes 22mm would be ok, if the bogie was designed with internal top hat type bearings (you could file off the pinpoints on the standard 26mm axle). The width between the side frames on a Cambrian Y25 bogie for example is 23.9mm, these are designed to use brass cup bearings, and being plastic they are inherently flexible allowing the wheel set to be sprung into place - I suppose this in not possible on the grinder if the bogies are 1 piece resin castings. Could separate cosmetic sides fitted to a sub frame be considered?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Pete's been a busy boy today. 

#1 2 car set ready for priming :)

post-6717-0-94555700-1370377583_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-64098800-1370377640_thumb.jpg

Note: the model has been designed primarily for Harsco Rail Ltd who have commissioned display models for marketing purposes and secondly as a kit for the majority of UK modellers. If modellers of the other UK disciplines wish to alter the kits to suit then that will be up to them, to do so. Any changes that can be made to components not already finalised to assist in this process will be considered as long as it does not compromise the project as a whole.

More details of the drive bogie will be released as they are firmed up. 

:)

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy's given his blessing for me to post this pic that he took of the grinder on Pete Harvey's "Peter's Street"

post-6717-0-00947400-1372361996_thumb.jpg

Frankly I think he's having us all on and he's photoshopped a picture of the real EU1 onto Pete's layout ;)

Seriously though, having seen the model today when it was handed over to our Sales Director I am truly impressed and Pete has surpassed all expectations in this project :)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Possibly, but our crews do look after the machines, not like the ones in the USA that are more black than yellow  :nono:

But yes, a waft of underframe dirt would not go amiss and the roofs don't get cleaned between annual maintenance

post-6717-0-53319700-1372407863_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

Seriously though, having seen the model today when it was handed over to our Sales Director I am truly impressed and Pete has surpassed all expectations in this project :)

Absolutely...that is stunning.  Can't wait for this to be released, just need biff to go and record one so we can have DCC sound.

Stoneblower next please Pete....... ;)

Martin