"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Oh dear, I varied between 'craftsmanship/clever' for post 6364,  and 'funny' for the quote about the girlfriend!    Couldn't make up my mind, but in the end opted for 'funny' as you had several 'craftsmanship/clever' already!!

Oh dear, I varied between 'craftsmanship/clever' for post 6364,  and 'funny' for the quote about the girlfriend!    Couldn't make up my mind, but in the end opted for 'funny' as you had several 'craftsmanship/clever' already!!

The girl was a cousin of Alan Bates the actor. She was absolutely stunning but eventually dumped me for some half bald Woolworths manager because Woolworth managers had more potential than sacked coalmen.

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1

The girl was a cousin of Alan Bates the actor. She was absolutely stunning but eventually dumped me for some half bald Woolworths manager because Woolworth managers had more potential than sacked coalmen.

Cheers.

Allan

Brilliant! - I'm sure I'm not alone in being surprised at the way this discussion headed (in a good way). PS a flat stomach, good haircut and a winning smile helped me get out of trouble at times ... I have to rely on other tricks these days. 

• 3 weeks later...

On Family Bathrooms to day.

A 'throw their wealth in your face' couple back from living abroad.

"Yes, we've bought half of Europe but would now like to live back in the UK. So, what have you got with 50 bedrooms, four turrets, a lake and all set in its own county with its own mountain range and year round skiing facilities ?"

Edited by allan downes

"Yes, we've bought half of Europe but would now like to live back in the UK. So, what have you got with 50 bedrooms, four turrets, a lake and all set in its own county with its own mountain range and year round skiing facilities ?"

Show probably dated from around 2012, they usually do!!!

No mention of Brexit?

There was a bloke at work who was an annoying geek, when he first arrived mid 2013 he bored us stupid with his story of how he'd bought 1000  bitcoins in December for $13 bucks each  and sold them just before he took the job with us for $260 each or something and paid off his house.

He was annoying because it showed up our inability to be geeky enough to get in on the cryptocurrency bandwagon,despite being I.T guys ourselves, but I am now less annoyed because if he had been such an expert he'd still have them and they'd be worth $23.500.000 right now. (and possibly nothing at all tomorrow!).

• Like 2

There was a bloke at work who was an annoying geek, when he first arrived mid 2013 he bored us stupid with his story of how he'd bought 1000  bitcoins in December for $13 bucks each  and sold them just before he took the job with us for $260 each or something and paid off his house.

He was annoying because it showed up our inability to be geeky enough to get in on the cryptocurrency bandwagon,despite being I.T guys ourselves, but I am now less annoyed because if he had been such an expert he'd still have them and they'd be worth $23.500.000 right now. (and possibly nothing at all tomorrow!).

What on earth is a bit coin and do they come in packs of three or eight foot lengths ?

Cheers.

Allan

Lovely example Allan, its on my New Years list.

Thank you for showing us all of your beautiful work this year, I hope you have a peaceful Christmas period and New Year ( if not get the guitar out and annoy the neighbours !!! ).

Kind regards

Grahame

BALLASTING

It needn't be waiting days for lakes of diluted PVA to dry then hours scraping loose ballast off the top of sleepers that's been washed up with the glue if instead you just use super glue.

It's ten times quicker, ten times cleaner and sets the ballast instantly and exactly where you placed it but, easy goes it around pointwork and especially around the tie bars.

Now, the big question is - how much will all this cost considering the regular price of superglue at around 6/8 quid for a 50g bottle? Well, that depends where you but it from where and 'Tradingangels@hotmail.co.uk. will sell you 10x50g BonFix Super Thin Viscosity Super Glue High Strength, High Speed for only £29.99 so I bought a 120 quids worth which more than ample for what I needed - about 8 to 10 bottles.

Anyway,you will most definitely need a mask and goggles when applying the drops between and around the sleepers as the fumes are positively potent !

So, here are the results after about 2 hours work.

Cheers and a merry Christmas to all.

Allan.

post-18579-0-86030600-1514044324_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-98655000-1514044339_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-45986300-1514044377_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-80784300-1514044453_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-48692500-1514044473_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-55230000-1514044495_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-28409000-1514044516_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-17855000-1514044540_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-65469400-1514044560_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

After having read the comments from guys on YMRC about the adverse effects of Superglue I have to whole heartedly agree - GUYS, DON'T USE IT !

The reason I say that, after having started this thread encouraging others to do so, Is that despite using a mask, I have been coughing up blood and now have a very sore chest. As some may know, I have lung cancer and quite possibly the cyno fumes have aggravated the tumor - I'm not really sure until I have seen my doctor but It might not be a bad idea if the moderators deleted this thread altogether.

Please, just stick with the old safe and sound diluted PVA method. Your health is more important than speed and any dangerous short cuts as those I have recommended here and now seriously retract.

Again, DON'T use superglue for ballasting !

Best regards.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Allan,

When I saw this I thought, "oh Lord!" :-(

Cyano is really nasty stuff, I recall spilling almost a whole bottle over myself and the carpet. Sticking my trousers to my legs was the least of my issues, in large quantities it burns and I spent at least an hour in the shower trying to wash it off. It also ate the carpet which now has bare, hard patches. Since then, I have treated it with utmost respect.

I hope you recover quickly and it doesn't complicate your existing condition.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Allan - that's a persuasive case, thanks for the warning, I hope you're better soon. I know there's a saying about artists suffering for their art, but we don't want to lose you any earlier than we absolutely have to. 

For my ballasting I use Woodland Scenics S190, diluted no more than c 50-50, that's a fairly concentrated PVA and usually dries overnight or at most within 24 hours. 

My problem probably started years ago ever since super glue was available to the model maker.

It's fair to say that every bottle carried a hazard warning but who takes any notice of hazard warnings when you're trying to stick a white metal kit together !

Anyway, I've now dumped my hoard but, the question is, is it to late ?

Ah well....

Cheers.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Health report update.

Spent most of Christmas day and all of New Years Day in hospital. Wonderful.

Taken there by ambulance because I was coughing up festive amounts of blood that didn't go down too well with the turkey, brussel sprouts and Christmas pud and the fact that I looked a right wally in a Christmas cracker hat didn't help much either.

Load of repeat questions in A & E, loads of needles, loads of sticky tabs, loads of nursey type attention then wheeled off to surveillance ward,  given more needles and knocked out for the night.

New years day wheeled down to Ex-ray, then fed through a large plastic doughnut thing by a really delightful nurse with all the right bits in all the right places, back up to the ward again, doctor read out the results, told me there was no blood clot in the lungs ( didn't think there was one anyway ) told me to sign on the dotted line then sent me home with exactly the same problem that I came in with so more or less saying keep taking the pills, keep up the coughing and a Happy New Year.

So all in all, a very magnificent and very interesting festive season and, who knows, keep up the 'treatment' and I could still be around to repeat it all again next year !

Cheers everybody and a Happy New Year.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Allan,

Really pleased to see you back online.

You were an inspiration for many of my early modelling attempts as a teenager. Laying computer chad bricks and painting with Colron wood dye was certainly a character building part of my adolescence.

This thread has rekindled so many memories of your work from those halcyon days of B&W pictures in the Railway Modeller.

Please keep up the fabulous work and providing inspiration to us mortal modellers.

Steve