"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Welcome Brylonscamel and his wonderful modelling to this thread - and as for myself ?

Well, still got this mini-layout to finish yet but stalling for time until I feel well enough to blitz on.

So meanwhile, if anyone's got something to show, then please be my guest.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Brylonscamel and his wonderful modelling to this thread - and as for myself ?

Well, still got this mini-layout to finish yet but stalling for time until I feel well enough to blitz on.

So meanwhile, if anyone's got something to show, then please be my guest.

Cheers.

Allan.

This is a flagrant cross-post from my layout topic and I'll delete it from here if unwanted, but I am please to show it.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-21106200-1517213936_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-83537600-1517213936_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This is a flagrant cross-post from my layout topic and I'll delete it from here if unwanted, but I am please to show it.

- Richard.

attachicon.gifpost-14389-0-07932800-1517130543.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-14389-0-67461200-1517130543.jpg

Don't you dare delete it, Richard !!

Sharing your work is what this forum is all about and you'll always be made welcome on this thread. So, post away !

Cheers   

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Don't you dare delete it, Richard !!

Sharing your work is what this forum is all about and you'll always be made welcome on this thread. So, post away !

Cheers   

Allan.

Allan:

I have an "industrial processing plant" and some smaller models on the bench and I will post here when they are beginning to look respectable.

In the meantime (and trying not to cause blushes), thank you for all your articles in the Railway Modeller. My parents bought me a subscription in the mid-1970s and I can confess, I always read your articles first. This thread is really nice - most of the people who influenced me in the hobby when I started are dead now :-)

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

This is my "processing plant". Its purpose is to remove heavy metals from slurry waste (tanker traffic); visual similarities to a concrete batching facility are incidental. It has been an easy model to start but difficult to finish, because I want to keep it detachable from the layout but it needs to be fixed to the backscene (mirror) to hide the gaps. So here is is, mostly built, partly painted and missing its handrails and walkways:

post-14389-0-58828400-1517346692_thumb.jpg

These are the main parts. The chimney is two bits of quadrant beading glued together, this was the only way I could think to make something half-round to go in front of the mirror. The donor kit for the tanks and so on is the Faller old-time concrete works, the rest is a mixture of wood and styrene:

post-14389-0-27220700-1517346693_thumb.jpg

The main structure is quite robust. I put brass pins and Milliput around them to hold the girders to the wooden blocks underneath them, but I still ended up adding the styrene vertical "drain pipe" into a hole drilled in the base to keep everything together.

post-14389-0-85990500-1517346693_thumb.jpg

The buffer stop is glued into a slot in the base, so it should withstand plenty of rough shunts:

post-14389-0-78868000-1517346694_thumb.jpg

I'm posting it up now in case people suggest changes or additions. I am left-handed, and it will be quite difficult for me to alter the model after I fix it in place. Painting is taking ages because I keep changing my mind on how fresh / run down it should look.

- Richard.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

How appropriate;

Like a tunnel that you follow to a tunnel of its own
Down a hollow to a cavern where the sun has never shone
Like a door that keeps revolving in a half-forgotten dream
Like the ripples from a pebble someone tosses in a stream
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes on its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind

• RMweb Gold

I can offer this as a freelance contribution:

post-14629-0-50205300-1520791064_thumb.jpg

It is not finished in that I have yet to build the roof, as well as a bit more dry-brushing on the external brickwork and other painting:

post-14629-0-30202700-1520791154_thumb.jpg

post-14629-0-17142900-1520791208_thumb.jpg

It is my second scratch building, so I am quite pleased with it.

Tony

• Like 10

Allan:

I have an "industrial processing plant" and some smaller models on the bench and I will post here when they are beginning to look respectable.

In the meantime (and trying not to cause blushes), thank you for all your articles in the Railway Modeller. My parents bought me a subscription in the mid-1970s and I can confess, I always read your articles first. This thread is really nice - most of the people who influenced me in the hobby when I started are dead now :-)

- Richard.

To quote Samuel Johnson: "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair."

Cherish those whom you regard as friends, and be ready to admit new ones to your regard.

• Like 2

As you reach dotage and transparency it's always nice to know that everything that you did before was appreciated and never went by unnoticed.

Thank you gentlemen one and all who have had the courage to admit that they may have at some time or another read the odd one or two articles of mine !

Cheers.

Allan. 

Allan

I go back as far as 'civic splendour' would that be '77-78 in Railway Modeller

Been away from the hobby for years playing cars in 12" to the foot scale, but have returned to Railways and have been using some of your techniques with varying degrees of success

all the best

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As you reach dotage and transparency it's always nice to know that everything that you did before was appreciated and never went by unnoticed.

Thank you gentlemen one and all who have had the courage to admit that they may have at some time or another read the odd one or two articles of mine !

Cheers.

Allan. 

The essence of one of your best quotes: "A building is nothing more than a series of boxes" - on reading that, it made everything so much simpler.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I've had a lot of fun with learning about signal boxes of late ... so I thought I'd have a go at something different that has always fascinated me on the real railway - bridges carrying railways over waterways.

So I bought one of those model diorama box kit things .. and started filling it with a bridge.

I've never built a rail bridge before but I've been staring at some local examples and have been amazed at the heft of the things .. and even in miniature they look quite imposing.

The joy of things like this is it really focuses you on a specific scene and I'm really excited about how this is going to end up looking ... 

post-26609-0-69748100-1520985609_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3

Allan - Is Iain Robinson still modelmaking? I see he now has a website focussed on his photography and his modelmaking blog has been removed?

I did email him some time ago but got no reply and, or so I've heard, is that he  got somewhat tired of customers petty complaints so gave up modellmaking altogether which is sad really as he was/still is, one of the greatest ever.

Certainly his Blog has been removed and, whilst we're on the subject, has anyone heard from Peter Leyland aka Gravy Train lately ?  Another oustanding talent sorely missed.

Cheers.

Allan

Sorry to hear that Iain has maybe called it a day for his model making. I enjoyed his quirky, but very detailed, illustrated articles some years ago in Railway Modeller and also enjoyed reading his blog. He is an excellent photographer and the images of Snowdonia on his new website are spectacular!

http://www.iainrobinson.online/about-me.html

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

Sorry to hear that Iain has maybe called it a day for his model making. I enjoyed his quirky, but very detailed, illustrated articles some years ago in Railway Modeller and also enjoyed reading his blog. He is an excellent photographer and the images of Snowdonia on his new website are spectacular!

http://www.iainrobinson.online/about-me.html

Marlyn

I think, Petra, his good lady, was the photographer but, of course, Iain wouldn't tell you that !

Come back my good friend, we're missing you and I promise you no more pics of the Cathedral !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

I'm doing okay, at least I am now, Dad passed away in Sumer last year and I kind of went into some sort of withdrawal from most things, despite me not admitting to it, I was very close to Dad so it hard but tried not to show it, kind of thing.

I am still modelling away Alan and from what I can see, you too, which is great.

I have been doing a Shadows tribute Gigg, once a month, its been a refreshing change and very enjoyable, I have acquired one of the Hall & Collins Signature Echo and that linked up to my fiesta red Custom shop56nos, AC30 with extra EF86channel, its perfect but has nothing to do with Railways ha ha :-)

• Like 1

Model Railway Constructor from around October 78 for me with pictures of Cotswold Cottages, I sent you a copy a few years ago as you couldn't find yours. I built a model barn for my art O level based on your plans adapted to look a bit more like an Essex barn, the school had it on display for over a year and I never did get it back! I had most of your RM articles after that and a lot of the Model Rail ones as well though I no longer take that magazine.

Not built much lately as real life keeps getting in the way. Took the decision to rebuild my small urban layout in EM so that has occupied much of my time, has a bit of an East London line feel to it so I will be building some suitable LT stock. This photo shows the retaining walls etc after the 00 gauge track was lifted and it is being prepared for EM gauge track, point work is already built. Walls all built out of card using Scalescenes paper.

Yes there will be third and fourth rails as well.

post-12773-0-22610000-1521229495_thumb.jpg

The layout folds in three bits and it has been nicknamed the 'transformer layout.' The fiddle yard entrance has since been ripped out but the retaining walls along the back are still there. The garage is freezing so not much is getting done.

Keep em coming, you can never have to many windmills!

• Like 9

Hi Alan,

I'm doing okay, at least I am now, Dad passed away in Sumer last year and I kind of went into some sort of withdrawal from most things, despite me not admitting to it, I was very close to Dad so it hard but tried not to show it, kind of thing.

I am still modelling away Alan and from what I can see, you too, which is great.

I have been doing a Shadows tribute Gigg, once a month, its been a refreshing change and very enjoyable, I have acquired one of the Hall & Collins Signature Echo and that linked up to my fiesta red Custom shop56nos, AC30 with extra EF86channel, its perfect but has nothing to do with Railways ha ha :-)

I'm sorry to hear about your Father, Peter and such events can really knock you back but I know  that you've the strength and backing from your good lady, Anne, to see you through.

Wonderful to hear from you again on the site as, I'm sure, so everyone else will agree.

So, please keep posting, keep in touch and really great to see you back - oh, and a vid of one of your Shadows gigs would go down more than well I'm sure.

Cheers, welcome back, friend and let's have some pics of your latest creations.

Allan.

• Like 2