"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Rather clumsy of me, Allan, under the circumstances. Apologies.

Wenlock's masterpiece had the same effect, as did Hursley, although with the greatest of respect to Mr. Welch, like for like, IMHO Wenlock's is better. In Hursley's defence, the overall picture was masterful and ranks as one of the best layouts I've come across.

Mention must also be made of Mikkel's wonderful cameo (if you would allow me to call it so, Mikkel); a masterpiece in miniature which also moved me and was the inspiration for my current interest in Edwardian modelling. To create that much atmosphere in such a small space is ingenious, and the overall standard of modelling is exquisite. I adore that waiting room; the fact it was built from the simplest of materials is difficult to believe.

As another venerable name, Allan, I could add your landmark portfolio(s) to the list, however...............................I'd probably still be writing this time tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, as they say: a picture paints a thousand words.

Am I forgiven?  :sorry:

Bestest,

Jonte

I've said it before, but....Jonte, you are a gentleman! Your own models are superb. You also mention some of my fave modelmakers...all in one post.

cheers mate

Iain

Edited by Iain C Robinson

My god, well spotted Lee! Top Man! You get the gold Eye Spy badge for that! :yes: :yes:

I'm getting very familiar with that box now. I've just removed the door and window next to it, for the SECOND time due to wonky frames, and now I'm having tiling  lack-of-overhang issues...

I'm getting very familiar with that box now. I've just removed the door and window next to it, for the SECOND time due to wonky frames, and now I'm having tiling  lack-of-overhang issues...

Good luck...with your perseverance I reckon it will be a cracker. :good:

Guest jonte

Right gentlemen, you've had your fun, tomorrow we're back on topic - the battle resumes !

Now so far, I've got Robinson ahead by a Scotish gnats whisker....hmm.... so now let me think......

I was rather fond of the old barn you built and adjacent ruin (cottage? - the one with Pymura walls).

Looked like one stray sneeze would bring the stoic few remaining tiles crashing to earth.

Even had a bash at building it myself from old postcards! (this was my first scratchbuild attempt as I recall - prior to that it was all Superquick - looks like I haven't got any further than that stage after all these years). Used the same technique after that. Only problem was, all my buildings ended up with warped rooflines: even the ones that weren't supposed to!

I particularly remember your (witty) narrative that accompanied the article. As I recall, you discovered the old barn quite by accident - literally - after you failed to negotiate a sharp bend and ended up in a ditch. I did chuckle at that one.

Jonte

• Like 1

I particularly remember your (witty) narrative that accompanied the article. As I recall, you discovered the old barn quite by accident - literally - after you failed to negotiate a sharp bend and ended up in a ditch. I did chuckle at that one.

Jonte

Yes, I remember it quite well Jonte, in fact it was how I met my late wife actually !

Very, very nice Allan! Townscapes like these are what you do so well, the buildings placed with deceptive ease, so effectively in the scene. You have it today Allan...and don't think that I haven't forgotten the bloomin' cathedral...

Someone mentioned the late, great Dave Rowe's Llaregub...oh, what a wonderful model that was, pity he couldn't be here to josh with us. But I'm still dead in the water when you roll that blasted cathedral out, mate!

• Like 1

A trip back to the dimmest recesses of the hard drive for these two early models from yours truly. Both were commissions for Lionel Currie...the thatched pub is my first ever commission 1978, I think - and boasts a styrene thatch roof....don't ask...I was high for days afterwards.

The other cottage is mostly Das clay, carved and abused in various ways!

post-18033-0-97439300-1366923450.jpg

post-18033-0-39740700-1366923490_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

A trip back to the dimmest recesses of the hard drive for these two early models from yours truly. Both were commissions for Lionel Currie...the thatched pub is my first ever commission 1978, I think - and boasts a styrene thatch roof....don't ask...I was high for days afterwards.

The other cottage is mostly Das clay, carved and abused in various ways!

Blimey Iain, I wouldn't have thought that Lionel Curry would have needed to commission anybody when it came to modelmaking - wow !

Nice work  all the same Mate.

Cheers

Allan

(Pst, poss, the cathedral tomorrow...)

• RMweb Gold

I thought we had already seen the best, and then both of you raise the bar one more notch. Amazing.

Allan, when you are build your townscapes do you have several buildings on the go at one time, or do you build them one by one?  Also nice to see some figures in those last "train-set" shots of yours.

Iain, thanks for the gull photos :-) It's easy enough to joke about them, but the quality of the scenery around them is no joke. Your styrene "high" back in 1978 sounds like an unusual experience. "So what are you on, man?" "I'm on thatched roof, amazing stuff".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you two boys could play nicely together instead of all this fighting, just imagine what a train set you could build together!

Superb work all round and some cracking good photography to show it off at its best.

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Mikkel.

Somehow I managed to delete your post altogether!!!!!!

Anyway, if you can remember the questions, here are the answers !!

When I build a scene like that I usually build in 'blocks' - maybe three or four buildings shoulder to shoulder, then when I have enough to fill the given area, I spend hours believe it or not shuffling them around until it all looks right - then do it  again the next day !

The figures in the scene were put there by the client - I rarely put figures on any scene I build for once you do, they seem to ruin all the realism that you have been striving to create and if I do use any at all, I only ever use those made my by PRIESER - the most lifelike, proper attitudes and proportions and come already painted in MATT colours, so no glossy suits and dresses ! - check out the platform figures in the scene below.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-20276300-1366967015.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 6

Guest jonte

Interesting to read this, Allan.

Jonte.

.........I rarely put figures on any scene I build for once you do, they seem to ruin all the realism that you have been striving to create .........