"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

A better picture of working conditions in the North East !

Six foot or sixty foot, makes no difference, you'll fill it with junk just the same !

It's one knife for everything - and that cutting mat had  measurements on one side and I only found out years later...oh, and though that set square's called a set square, it's anything but !

Cheers.

Allan

Oh, and thanks guys for the kind comments, not a patch on the Robinson magic but it'll have to do until I've been to specsavers !

post-18579-0-32868500-1383687020_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful Allan. Whats the building on extreme left of the second pic in post 2132? looks like it might have something to do with the fishing industry, what ever it is it's very interesting.

Your use of every day objects to make the light house is inspiring! 

Hi Alan,

its good to see your back to modelling again, and you can still do it, its very it encouraging, it used to get a very lonely when it came to Architectural modelling with just a few of us, its good to see the flame is fanned of recent for this subject matter :-)

cheers

Peter

Dear Allan

Incredible that it's taken you only six weeks to make all those superb buildings.

Loved the picture of your workbench, my God that cutting mat looks like it's seen some blood sweat and tears over the years.Nice to see you're still using Colron wood dye,but I'm intrigued to know what you use the Johnson's baby powder for.Or is that an improper question?

Edited by iainp

Wonderful Allan. Whats the building on extreme left of the second pic in post 2132? looks like it might have something to do with the fishing industry, what ever it is it's very interesting.

Your use of every day objects to make the light house is inspiring!

Sasquatch, I am glad you broached the lighthouse subject. I was wondering whether it involved an item similar to a yoghurt pot. It looks excellent as does the rest.

LE

There's something about that lighthouse,something a little sinister and frightening,something to do with that round domed roof.Something dark and unsettling.A  dimly  remembered memory from the past perhaps. Oh my God!!.with a bit more work and detailing that lighthouse would make a very good Windmill. !! :O

Don't do it Allan ,spare us this. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Allan, the rest of us (and I don't include Iain or Peter in this), but the rest of us mere mortals have been posting pictures of our creations, and feeling slightly smug when we have received the very generous praise that you offer, and then you go and do this to us!

You are simply in a different class to most of us, and we are not worthy...

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 2

Allan

Now you know that as you joined a model rail forum, we expect to see a working track and trains  :senile:

Although if you push the train along the track and take a second picture of the train in a new position ......no one will know ;p

Not to mention most people will be feasting their eyes on the architecture. :sungum:

A better picture of working conditions in the North East !

Six foot or sixty foot, makes no difference, you'll fill it with junk just the same !

It's one knife for everything - and that cutting mat had  measurements on one side and I only found out years later...oh, and though that set square's called a set square, it's anything but !

Cheers.

Allan

Oh, and thanks guys for the kind comments, not a patch on the Robinson magic but it'll have to do until I've been to specsavers !

attachicon.gif20131105_161206.jpg

One thing I really love is seeing people's workbenches, where they create their magnum opii... this is brilliant. It says so much about the man...and would you believe it, a can of Colron wood dye in there! Pretty much like my own workbench, but you can tell elemental forces have been at work here!

cheers,

Iain

Dear Allan

Incredible that it's taken you only six weeks to make all those superb buildings.

Loved the picture of your workbench, my God that cutting mat looks like it's seen some blood sweat and tears over the years.Nice to see you're still using Colron wood dye,but I'm intrigued to know what you use the Johnson's baby powder for.Or is that an improper question?

Hi Iainp.

The Johnsons baby powder is used to represent the mortar joint between courses.

For this, I rub it well into the stonework and seal it in with Colron Light Oak wood dye.

Later when i can get my own camera to work and import pictures onto my PC, I'll have a go at a few "Step by Steps" illustrating different methods and techniques that I use that all go towards fast and furious building construction and in particular to demonstrate why my workbench always looks like a war zone !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

Hi Iainp.

The Johnsons baby powder is used to represent the mortar joint between courses.

For this, I rub it well into the stonework and seal it in with Colron Light Oak wood dye.

Later when i can get my own camera to work and import pictures onto my PC, I'll have a go at a few "Step by Steps" illustrating different methods and techniques that I use that all go towards fast and furious building construction and in particular to demonstrate why my workbench always looks like a war zone !

Cheers.

Allan.

I'd really like to see the step-by-steps...that will be superb. You don't need a brilliant camera, I take my (admittedly crappy) photos with a Samsung WB700 that spends most of it's time underground getting dropped and dripped upon.  A workbench is definitely a war zone...bending all those intractable materials to do your will. And that's just macramé!

cheers,

Iain

post-13703-0-06600800-1383743905.png

My workbench as of yesterday after tidying up!Taken to forfill a promise I made Sasquatch, but I couldn't resist posting this image just to prove I do actually do some modelling!Not so much where I create my magnus opii more where I create my Faux Pas!

Everything looks so new  compared to Allan's workbench perhaps when my cutting mats got as much character as Allan's my models might have the same character.I can but dream.

Apologise for the etched kit it's my serious attempt to play with the big boys,but once thats done I'll be starting on my layout mine buildings and attempting to play with the modelling giants on this thread.My God the effrontery just watch me crash and burn.Seriously if I can produce something half as good as some of the  stuff on this thread and I'm not just referring to Allan's and Iain's work,I'll be well chuffed.

I promise to post some photo's when I get started and we can all have a good laugh.

PS.That handle protruding from the lower shelf of my workbench is a hammer, very useful I find.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 1

iainp: another fascinating photo...I love it!  Lots of lovely tools and containers, very self-contained...and a bike, or two...

I see you are dabbling with the dark side, solder and etched brass...now we are really talking about intractable materials that bite back!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1