Took some photographs of the Great Britain VI tour crossing this bridge on Sunday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/sets/72157633303128886/with/8672399773/

There was a great pile of portacabins near the bridge exit on the Plymouth side, and which limited my choice of location for photos. There is a model of the bridge on top of a notice which highlights that work is underway for 2 years to renovate it - some work platforms are visible below the main bridge deck. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures. 

The renovation will, as I understand it, render the bridge fit for many more years service and also see it repainted into the colour (found many layers down) which it was in originally and which isn't grey.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pictures. 

The renovation will, as I understand it, render the bridge fit for many more years service and also see it repainted into the colour (found many layers down) which it was in originally and which isn't grey.

Er, well, the final colour that is emerging from the scaffolding and sheeted areas is a light grey, which is the final colour.

• RMweb Gold

Having had the good fortune to again traverse this famous structure in both directions a couple of weeks ago - while hearing a fellow passenger telling his companions the Brunel story - I am delighted to know it is receiving the necessary TLC. Only the adjoining road bridge - which I used many years ago - spoils the views!

• RMweb Premium

Only the adjoining road bridge - which I used many years ago - spoils the views!

Only partially so.  The best view (IMHO) will always be that of the Cornish border and shoreline seen approaching from England.  Left-hand side of the train, facing direction of travel, window seat, as far back down the train as the reservation system allows if you want to watch the train take the curve onto the bridge.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Er, well, the final colour that is emerging from the scaffolding and sheeted areas is a light grey, which is the final colour.

Reminds me of the story of Cuneo doing a painting of the bridge for a BR poster.

To get the best angle for his picture, he perched on one of the girders of the approach spans and consequently got quite dirty, both from the girders themselves and the soot etc of passing trains. Eventually he got down and returned to Plymouth station to begin the journey back to London. As he boarded the first class carriage BR had given him a ticket for, an elderly lady looked disapprovingly at her unkempt new travelling companion in his dirty overalls.

"I'm sorry, I've just been painting the Saltash Bridge," Cuneo explained.

"Oh," replied the old lady. "I do hope you chose a nice colour..."

• RMweb Premium

And often had a decent wait to get onto the ferry during which you could admire the view.

With track occupation at todays levels and pressure on FGW (and possibly also XC) to deal with overloading how long before we see the redoubling of that short but critical section back to the bridge itself?  Along with Probus that was a decision taken in times of falling traffic when costs were being cut and the line west of Plymouth was talked of being cut in its entirely.  Not so today when 8-coach HST formations cross the bridge more often than ever before plus full and standing increasingly frequently.

With track occupation at todays levels and pressure on FGW (and possibly also XC) to deal with overloading how long before we see the redoubling of that short but critical section back to the bridge itself?

Not sure this would gain much. Would also require a doubling of the bridge over the Gunnislake line just after the single line starts.

Had the RAB been life expired a more drastic and expensive approach would be to realign the main line as a double line down the Gunnislake branch (former SR line) and branch off left on to a new bridge crossing the river over to Wearde Quay. This would give a faster double track connection into Cornwall.

Archived