farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

Good mornin' all

One point; the crankpins supplied with Markits wheel sets are the De Luxe version. These do require larger holes in the coupling rods than the standard crankpin (1mm?). It would probably be OK on  a Princess as the big loco would have meaty rods, but can be a bit difficult on smaller locos with thin rods. The de luxe crankpins work better if you can fit them as the crankpin washers are flanged and threaded and the pins are threaded, so one just pops the rod over the pin and screw up the washer

Earlswood Nob

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I am still waiting for wheels from markits but I have built the frames up the roller bearings fit nice tight fit I will still glue them in at a later date to stop them working lose. The tender now as frames and the beginnings of the floor buffers steps etc would put pictures up but sky's turnoff the net all because they have not been taking the money for it for two years and are blaming BT.

Between doing the princess I had been trying to scratch build some LNWR coach's with various degrees of success from oh dear to rough as a baggers a#$* after 13 attempts and lots of hours down the drain I had a box looking ok ish at normal distance so ordered some parts from 247 developments over the weekend turn up yesterday very impressed with the trun round. Thought I would order some other things  today offer working out a order to send in,i then looked at the price have have changed my mind and order C163k 57ft brake composite dg 205. Wonder if it will beat the wheels by post. Never built a coach kit before so something to look forward to

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good morning all, a quick update the wheels have turned up from markits and are temporary fitted if only I could stop the dame thing trying to roll of the table it's that free running must have done something wrong there.

The proscale kit go's together really easy which I was not expecting after a go with a star class that I built by them. 

The princess will be 46208 princess Helena victory one reason it goes down well with the wife as it's here first name and she's offering to buy me 2 more LNWR couches which would be rude to refuse don't you think.

now it was going to be blue but the kit is the princess with a combustion chamber fire box ending center of the back drivers and the new front main frames with out the diamonds cut outs. She was blue until November of 52. Did fit the model until about 57 Don't really want another green loco so BR red it is.

One last thing can I use live wheels on one side if using DCC or should I get a the 3 live wheels replaced with insulated ones.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

hi horsetan  9mm+ gap between the frames a 7mm slim line gearbox will fit with about .5 mm gap each side between the box and roller bearing face. I know you are aware of the bearings dimensions so I'll that you puzzle that out over your coffee break.

• RMweb Gold

work so far now  with the net up and running here's some pics

some parts that are needed are comet bogie, cylinders
Edited by farren
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

other parts needed are cast 12 feed lubricatorsfrom Markits but the smaller ones i don't recall seeing them anywhere, sanding pipes for the platform and two round cylindrical things that  are part of or just attached to the front of  steam pipes on both sides of the loco no idea what they are or do. if any one knows what and where i can buy any of these parts it would be much appreciated 

• RMweb Gold

Not so far but always the optimist I'll send them another email,  bug them enough they might get fed up any reply i have posted  an SAE to DMR now i just have to wait and see what happens with that one.  as with for gear box/bearings and lack of space I just put the bearings on the drive axle in side of the main frames and push them out wards. i have looked though Comet and Brassmaster along with Alan Gibsons catalogs did not find them but i'll look again in case i've missed them before giving them a bell    

Not so far but always the optimist I'll send them another email,  bug them enough they might get fed up any reply i have posted  an SAE to DMR now i just have to wait and see what happens ....

I get the feeling they only really respond to telephone calls.

• RMweb Gold

I will have to give comet a ring tomorrow went right out of my mind today and that's after placing an order with them for a new pony and cylinders and bits for the platform and tender too. Ordered some bits from Eileens imporium brass black dose it work on the white metal casting or should it be kept of that.

The break gear is a pain I can understand why Hornby does not bother with it on the front wheels ether too close for comfort or just touches ether the rear bogie or 1st driving wheels have fitted it with out break shoes and will get some plastic one's and hopefully with the comet pony and their bracket might make things better. Not sure about the rear pony my be another purchase from comet.

• RMweb Gold

[The bogies and cylinders with the other bit arrived on Saturday and thought I would build them and see if they would fit. the bogie where much better then what comes with the kit pic below will be using comets bracket which  also turn up, but cant find the spring that suppose to come with it.

I  have also half built the cylinders  as my soldering station as decided to turn it's self in to a temperature gauge and will not heat up at all. i was unsure what to do about the cylinders and was thinking using comets slid bars, but they only come with the full vale gear and couplings rods set, then after the iron went for a Burton I had a play with the ones that come with the kit and to my surprise i manage to get them to work smoothly so will use them now only thing is i'll have to unsolder the circular plates of the back face so the slide bars fit snugly. i am planing to butcher the ones that come with the kit and fit just the sides to the comet frames as the inspection 

hole is round on the comet one's  

and a quit pic of how it should look when altogether it is all lose so not  perfect 

Edited by farren

Hello Farren,

could you please do something about the size of your photos in your thread. As having to open them to get a good size is a bit off putting, as you then loose the words.

Do you still want the solder?

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Ozzyo the answer is a big no I have tried different settings on the camera used different settings and both windows and Samsung's own camera suite tried google chrome window inter net explorer also RM web standard and advanced uploader also looked at my settings in my home page on this web site nothing seems to be of any use. and I am now so feed up i my stop using this web site.   

Sorry Ozzyo the answer is a big no I have tried different settings on the camera used different settings and both windows and Samsung's own camera suite tried google chrome window inter net explorer also RM web standard and advanced uploader also looked at my settings in my home page on this web site nothing seems to be of any use. and I am now so feed up i my stop using this web site.   

Hello Farren,

please don't stop posting on here due the the size of your photos.

I've had a look at the setting on my camera, it's set at 5meg. that gives me a photo of approx 1MB. This is the photo below,

post-8920-0-01807200-1372851311_thumb.jpg

When I went into M/S office picture manager and had a play with the sizes and made the photo to web small this is what it gave me, a photo of approx. 49.5KB.

post-8920-0-69103900-1372851321.jpg

I also did this one to email small and the size was 18.5KB.

post-8920-0-19626200-1372851624.jpg

So looking at this it maybe that you have got one of your setting set to a small default setting for any photos you post on here.

I'm not a putter wiz. so I'm sorry that I can't help you any more on this, but some of the above may help you track it down.

But please don't stop posting on here.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

hopefully this pic will be bigger!!!! anyway the cylinders are mainly comet with the much butchered white casting from the kit, forgive the boiler is looking a bit missy after a go with brass black and needs a rub to even it up.

That will be a NO then, B#GG## :rtfm: make that twice the cylinder covers are on upside down :fool:

Edited by farren

hopefully this pic will be bigger!!!! anyway the cylinders are mainly comet with the much butchered white casting from the kit, forgive the boiler is looking a bit missy after a go with brass black and needs a rub to even it up.

That will be a NO then, B#GG## :rtfm: make that twice the cylinder covers are on upside down :fool:

Hello Farran,

could it be that you seem to be sending your photos through a second party. The gallery, then into your thread??

• RMweb Gold

dose any one know where you can get a snifter valve, cylinder anti-vacuum casting from I've looked on alan Gibson and markits lists but can not see them or do they come under  another name.

• RMweb Gold

HI Horsetan it dose seems that way. i have just got the DMR products list which i sent for some time back came with a note from Mike Russell unable to help with the princess as all parts in his stock list have now gone. 

• RMweb Gold

some pic 

Some tidying to do around the cab and the R/side cylinder to paint as it had to be filled after a cracking it taking it of and putting it on the right way up after that will be left for a week to harden fully before lining before I do should i varnish first,and if so what should i use? I would like a slight glass finish on the main paint, but the black mat to add in the working look I would like if all goes to plan.

• Like 2