• 3 weeks later...

A slight incremental progress report, I've made a start on finally boxing in the high level section which should tidy the look of the layout up as well as improving the the range of photos ops available to me. Another change I've made is after my friend visited with his 80s Trainload Freight themed stock I've decided I'll be covering the 70s as well as the late 80s on Pendeford Sidings so I've dug deep and invested some pennies in new stock.

13566347744_0e5430b060.jpg

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

hi simon this is the first time I have seen your layout and it looks fantastic. your buildings look amazing just so real I wish I had your skills on scratch building. I really like the night shot of the class 47. there is plenty of operational interest here will be following this. john.

• Like 1

hi simon this is the first time I have seen your layout and it looks fantastic. your buildings look amazing just so real I wish I had your skills on scratch building. I really like the night shot of the class 47. there is plenty of operational interest here will be following this. john.

John I'd love to admit my buildings are scratchbuilt but they aren't , all they are a mixture of Walthers "Cornerstone" kits , Hornby and Bachman products repainted. Thank you for the kind comments it's a long way off from being finished but I'm pleased with how far I've got, normally I don't get this far but with this layout I've stuck with it and not lost interest. Operationaly I've tried to make it as busy as possible without looking silly (although I have just added a siding for a cement terminal,pictures to follow soon).

All the best

Simon

John, Simon's buildings show what can be done with a bit of imagination and time to lightly modify kits and ready to plant buildings to give something more unique, and it's a great way to build up confidence and skills.  For example, when I built my quicky exhibition plank "King's Oak" I needed a modern Centro brick chalet station building but couldn't find anything off the peg.  Then I happened to notice the Faller "Bike Hire" shop which, although HO, was roughly the right shape.  Unfortunately it was modelled in a representation of the "crinkly tin" you often see industrial buildings made from.  So, what I did was use the parts to draw the outline of the main components on the back of some brick embossed plasticard, cut the shapes out, filed them to shape and reclad the building in brick, painted it brick brown et voila, a very simple conversion job which gave a convincing small modern suburban station.  I even re-used the shop counter as the ticket counter by using some clear acetate to make a screen.  Unfortunately, I then forgot to put a light in it - so you can't actually see the ticket counter, but it's there!

Depending on how much time you have and your circumstances, and what your model interests are, it might be worth buying some cheap Dapol or second-hand kits, scouring e-Bay for cheap modelling materials (I bought some really nice "instant" flowerbeds, grass mat and the brick plasticard from e-Bay for next to nothing) and perhaps have a go at making a diorama, seeing how you might convert or modify the kit into something different.  Starting with some cheap kits (or even some ready made buildings) it will be less dispiriting if you make a mess, but you never know, you might just take to it and find that you can achieve a good result by taking your time and thinking out of the box a bit.  To be honest, the Kings Oak station was the first time I had tried a bit of kit-bashing although I had built quite a few kit buildings beforehand, and I was happy that it came off, not least because Faller kits are not cheap!

It was thanks to Mr Wiles that I was introduced to Walthers, before Mark mentioned them I'd never heard or seen their products but I'm gratefull he did as they are wonderful kits and really helped me create the scene I wanted. A few more pics to pass the afternoon

14016685521_9ca2a1555a_c.jpgCar park view by bescotbeast, on Flickr

14016687961_932de9c3d3_c.jpgPendeford Wharf by bescotbeast, on Flickr

Simon

• Like 5

The car park does look good but I'm surprised you've given up some sidings to the infernal combustion department!

You might like to put some Armco in front of the concrete fence, you can get HO scale Armco from Noch and off thiefBay from China.  I think Faller and Auhagen make it as well, or just get some plastic strip of course!

• RMweb Premium

Like you, my memory would have placed the Scania as a 1980's type, but the model Midlands BRS liveried version is registered VOG537J, which places it in the early 70s. It's a nice model, looking very exotic unloading at the factory on my layout amongst it's ERF and AEC built Western BRS counterparts.

I really like the concept of your layout, with its various private sidings and real purpose to the movements, just the sort of thing I'd like if I had the space. As the scenery develops the whole just gets better and better.

Like you, my memory would have placed the Scania as a 1980's type, but the model Midlands BRS liveried version is registered VOG537J, which places it in the early 70s. It's a nice model, looking very exotic unloading at the factory on my layout amongst it's ERF and AEC built Western BRS counterparts.

I really like the concept of your layout, with its various private sidings and real purpose to the movements, just the sort of thing I'd like if I had the space. As the scenery develops the whole just gets better and better.

Good to know it's not just me then with faded memories of the 80s, you don't happen to have any suggestions for suitable lorries for the 80s period do you? If not I'm sure Mr Wiles will come to my rescue.

Simon

Looking good

David

Thanks for stopping by David and looking, it's great to have feedback.

Very nice - Good work and great pics.

Cheers, Bob.

Nice to see you again Bob.

Simon