BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

Finally got round to doing a quick test run this evening with my V100 and a Lenz milk van. The loco ran perfectly but the van didn't like my points. Although the Lenz wheels have finescale flanges I found the back-to-backs on this vehicle were only 28mm and pulling them out to 29mm cured the problem. I think I'm going to have check all my German wagons and coaches before using them on the layout!

post-12623-0-10300000-1498513436_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got the sides of all the rails painted!   :yahoo:

I will need to touch it up in one or two places when it's all dry and clean off the top of the rails but this phase is almost complete and I'm now thinking about painting the backscene. At the moment it's just plain sky blue.

• Like 3

I've finally got the sides of all the rails painted!   :yahoo:

I will need to touch it up in one or two places when it's all dry and clean off the top of the rails but this phase is almost complete and I'm now thinking about painting the backscene. At the moment it's just plain sky blue.

Take a break Howard. Do some running.

I bought some 1/8th" by 1/8th" obechi strip yesterday which I am glueing to the rear of the platform walls to make the tops about the right thickness to simulate the solid concrete seen in one or two photos.

post-12623-0-69098900-1499898992.jpg

• Like 7

Looking at prototype photos it seems that where concrete edging was used it was either in the form of blocks or was laid in short sections which appear to be around 3 meters long. This is the figure I decided to work with and have been sawing slots in the front and top of the front platform followed by an initial coat of acrylic paint. 

post-12623-0-28681200-1500231472.jpg

post-12623-0-93073100-1500231494.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 5

Looking at prototype photos it seems that where concrete edging was used it was either in the form of blocks or was laid in short sections which appear to be around 3 meters long. This is the figure I decided to work with and have been sawing slots in the front and top of the front platform followed by an initial coat of acrylic paint. 

attachicon.gifDSCF1943 (640x207).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1944 (640x279).jpg

Continental platforms are usually so much easier than their UK counterparts.

I've now given the front of the rear platform (bahnsteig 1) the same treatment as the front one and given the latter (bahnsteig 2) a second coat of paint. I scraped a thin coat of wood filler onto the front of the rear platform before painting it to cover the grain and to give it a bit more texture.

post-12623-0-49857100-1500406311_thumb.jpg  post-12623-0-02224000-1500406390_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've now given the front of the rear platform (bahnsteig 1) the same treatment as the front one and given the latter (bahnsteig 2) a second coat of paint. I scraped a thin coat of wood filler onto the front of the rear platform before painting it to cover the grain and to give it a bit more texture.

attachicon.gifDSCF1945.JPG  attachicon.gifDSCF1946.JPG

The Germans sometimes can't make up their minds what to call a station platform. Bahnsteig means platform, but most stations announce them as "Gleis", which means track, like US usage.

I have stippled some 'pebble' paint on the platform fronts followed by some 'sand' and then thin washes of 'charcoal' and black and I am now reasonably happy with their appearance. I mixed a little talcum powder in with the paint to try and add some extra texture although I'm not sure if it has made any difference.

post-12623-0-09179800-1500591387_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I say, that's rather good Howard. Having lived in Germany for several years when I was in the Army, I think you have captured the essence of German clouds very well indeed.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I've been using this picture I took at Cochem a couple of years ago as my main inspiration:-

post-12623-0-24681200-1500918065_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A few days ago I decided the backscene would look better if it was extended 18" toward the door. Most of this section will be hidden by the hillside in front so I have just made a small triangular section for the bit which will be seen. I have now given it a second coat of white undercoat to be followed by a top coat of sky blue in the next couple of days. Also seen in the photo are a couple of small trees I have painted on the backscene.

post-12623-0-22087200-1501255112_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 4

I was going to do a bit of decorating this afternoon but ended up spending most of it cutting out a piece of timber to go across the end of the layout by the door to tie everything together! Ho hum! 

I also gave the backscene extension a second coat of sky blue (it was still drying when I took the pic hence the streaks) and finished painting another tree.

post-12623-0-38908100-1501444086_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I needed a fairly small piece of 6mm ply to go at the end of the scenic section but I didn't have anything suitable in stock. Fortunately when I was round at Rod's on Monday he found an off-cut in his garage which was about right and this has now been cut to shape and fastened in position.

post-12623-0-09333600-1501705049_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've been getting plastered the last couple of days!  :)

post-12623-0-82062500-1503006534_thumb.jpg

This is only the basic coat for the rockface - I will be applying a thicker top layer eventually which I intend moulding using my usual method with cooking foil.

I bought a tunnel mouth some time ago but have decided it looks too wide and the entrance a bit too big (although not as bad as the PECO one which looks more suitable for Gauge 1!)

Edited by HSB
  • Like 5

I have cut out the basis for a new tunnel mouth from a piece of hardboard which has been stiffened with some off-cuts of wood glued to the back. The actual tunnel mouth will be built up on this with a bit of rock face around the outside which will be blended into the rest of the scenery when it's finally mounted in position.

post-12623-0-67375900-1503516254_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I now have one basic platform in place which I have given a coat of dark brown. This will eventually be brought up to full height with a layer of gravel (which will also hide the joins).

post-12623-0-45893900-1503862729_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I came back from Telford yesterday with one or two goodies. Unusually there was a second-hand stall with a number of German items where I bought this Brawa wagon. It has been fitted with screw couplings but the NEM ones are in the box.

post-12623-0-23931500-1504527538_thumb.jpg

I also bought a station building kit from Brünnig. It is slightly smaller than I was planning but looked too attractive to turn down!

• Like 2