BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

I came back from Telford yesterday with one or two goodies. Unusually there was a second-hand stall with a number of German items where I bought this Brawa wagon. It has been fitted with screw couplings but the NEM ones are in the box.

attachicon.gifDSCF2025.JPG

I also bought a station building kit from Brünnig. It is slightly smaller than I was planning but looked too attractive to turn down!

Howard,

It was great to see you and Rod at the Minerva stand at Telford on Saturday.  The mem sahib is very keen to stay at the Burgh Island Hotel (rooms from 2 x Minerva Panniers per night) so I will let Rod and you know when we are next coming to The South Hams.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

Nice to see you again, too, Chris. The number of people there seemed to be a lot less than previous years - probably due to the hike in the entrance fee. I just hope that doesn't put too many traders off from attending next year!

I've now used an offcut of Balsa wood which Rod had in his garage to build up the tunnel mouth. It was just big enough to cut in half and stick the two bits onto the front of the hardboard side by side.

post-12623-0-24773700-1504822438_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try out some Polak scenic material I bought at Guildex. They call this 'Wild Bushes' and I am quite pleased with the effect. It's certainly a lot quicker than using my usual methods.

post-12623-0-06293100-1508794505_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have now added a short length of lining to the tunnel made from 1/64th inch ply. It is being held in place with drawing pins until the glue dries.

post-12623-0-50729100-1509650761_thumb.jpg

The scenery in the background is on my Sn31/ layout which will have to demolished to make way for the new fiddleyard.

• Like 4

Looking good Howard. One of the unalloyed joys of modelling continental railways is the absence of lineside boundary fences.

Chris

They do, now, certainly on the high speed lines, and, I suspect, more generally. I wonder if there is evidence that the lack of fencing abroad led to more accidents?

I would note that the appallingly high death rate on suburban lines around Mumbai would certainly suggest fencing is worthwhile, but that may be specific.

Best

Simon

Although I widened the tunnel mouth a few weeks ago I still felt it looked a little too skinny so I have now added another 1/2" to the overall width. I think the proportions now look about right.

post-12623-0-68417900-1511721425_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They do, now, certainly on the high speed lines, and, I suspect, more generally. I wonder if there is evidence that the lack of fencing abroad led to more accidents?

I would note that the appallingly high death rate on suburban lines around Mumbai would certainly suggest fencing is worthwhile, but that may be specific.

Best

Simon

Simon,

You will find lineside fencing in some countries, for instance in Italy. It is a very particular concrete fence made from pre fabricated elements and it is all over the country.

Others still do not have it. For instance in Austria, even at the mainline to the south - there are no fences. 

Being Austrian I could say now that the locals kept part of their common sense....  :) 

• Like 1

Hello Howard,

assuming that you are okay with this I am using your picture as my desktop background.

As you can see from the flurry of likes I am caught up again, hopefully this time to stay.

The 6-wheel-coaches are called "Umbauwagen".

Best Regards,

post-12020-0-15089400-1512849567_thumb.png

• Like 2

Welcome back. Wow! I never expected anybody would want to use my picture like that! I've reworked the four fir trees and added a bit more grass to the foreground since I posted it.

I'm planning to get a couple more umbauwagen soon. A friend of mine who has been modelling DB for a few years tells me that they always ran in pairs.

• Like 2