Bachmann 1F

neal

This is a lovely plastic RTR model. Those who don't like the appearance of plastic can always fit a metal cab and, while they're at it, new splashers as well. No doubt a few pre-grouping modellers will find this 1F usefull for modding to Johnson style etc.

• RMweb Premium

Once again Bachmann are being vague about the LMS liveried variant. When they say "LMS black" do they mean the later version with company initials on the tanks & number on the bunker or the early version with big numbers on the tanks and LMS on a red backed plate on the bunker.

• RMweb Gold

This is a lovely plastic RTR model. Those who don't like the appearance of plastic can always fit a metal cab and, while they're at it, new splashers as well. No doubt a few pre-grouping modellers will find this 1F usefull for modding to Johnson style etc.

i thought the 1F was a johnson design?

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Hatton's saying that, as a guide,  the LMS 1F should be available Sep / Oct 2014.

October. Anniversary time.

With any luck, Mrs Smith will get a box of chocolates, I'll get a half cab....

Well, we can but dream, can't we?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i see thanks i was worried i had missed something,  got the Johnson 1F,3F and the fowler 3F all going round my head at the minute Converting a Hornby Jinty into a Johnson jinty while reading other treads on all 3 types :scratchhead:

Edited by farren

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has Bachmann shown any decorated samples of the 1F yet?

It is now a year since the first engineering sample was shown - unpainted. One might have expected a decorated sample to have made an appearance by now. Has anyone seen one? (I know they have not been on their website, but perhaps at a show?)

John

Waiting eagerly for this model.  I think I read somewhere that both the half cab and full cab versions would be offered. 

I'm working on getting the full set, having got the Bachmann 3F and 4F, as well as a couple of Jinties.  I also have the 00Works 2F.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is it me, or have the 1Fs disappeared completely from the Bachmann website? I hope it's just a mistake following the new catalogue release, and they haven't gone for a Burton (Hall) like the budget sound locos.

Yes, it's a bit odd. I suspect it is not in the 2014/15 catalogue, (presuming that everything on the web is in the 2014/15 catalogue) given that they declared it "released to production" here

In production

The following items have been approved for production:

Midland 1F 0-6-0ST

If you look at today's MREmag there's a photo of a Bachmann display cabinet at the recent announcements day, and the are 2 1f's in it, a BR open cab and LMS closed cab. They should be here soon as a mag reviewer (sorry, can't remember which post or member) said one had landed on his desk last week for review.

Is it me, or have the 1Fs disappeared completely from the Bachmann website? I hope it's just a mistake following the new catalogue release, and they haven't gone for a Burton (Hall) like the budget sound locos.

“I would like to confirm there is no conspiracy theory or error in the new catalogue regarding the 1F Class 0-6-0T.

The 1F 0-6-0T was announced in the 2013/14 catalogue launched in March 2013. Delivery will be completed over the next few weeks and as some members of magazine editorial staff have stated on here and on their own sites, I can confirm that samples of all versions have been sent to magazines for review purposes. This means that the models have completed the production cycle and have been packed, the review samples being sent by air freight (as usual). The rest are in transit by container and somewhere between the factory and Barwell.

The reason they are not in the new catalogue is that none will be left in stock in our warehouse once orders have been packed and sent to dealers, as everyone is pre-sold to the trade. Those seeking any versions of this model should contact a Bachmann dealer.

I trust that this clarifies the position fully”.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Thanks for that, Andy.

I still think it's a bit odd that the 1F isn't even on their website as an item due in the next 60 days, so the three variants just won't show up on the "radar" at all - perhaps they should market them as ghost trains?

• RMweb Premium

But it is odd that Bachmann have not even shown a decorated example on their website - looking at their products list, it just doesn't exist. To my mind it is one of their loveliest models - if it was me, I would want to showcase it.

John

The three versions out for review and coming to retailers are:

31-430

Midland Class 1F 0-6-0T No. 1725 in LMS Black. Closed cab. 4A shed plate

£87.50

31-431

Midland Class 1F 0-6-0T No. 41661 in BR black with early emblem. Open Cab. 20D shed plate

£87.50

31-432

Midland Class 1F 0-6-0T No. 41708 in BR black with late crest. Open cab. 41E shed plate.

£87.50

Thanks for the clarification Andy, however Dennis Lovett's explanation for the non appearance in the 2014/15 catalogue doesn't make sense, as the catalogue is a retail catalogue intended for retail customers and not a pure trade catalogue, so although sold out by Bachmann, it will still be released to the retail trade in the current catalogue year and there will be stocks available, hopefully for some time, in retailers. No catalogue has actually shown the 3 items in their final model state and until Andy's posting at #45 most of us didn't know which versions were open cab and which were closed cab versions. The magazines are unlikely to review all variants, probably only one, so customers not using sites like this and relying on the catalogue could conclude the model is no longer available, or have to seek out info from their retailer

Thanks for the clarification Andy, however Dennis Lovett's explanation for the non appearance in the 2014/15 catalogue doesn't make sense, as the catalogue is a retail catalogue intended for retail customers and not a pure trade catalogue, so although sold out by Bachmann, it will still be released to the retail trade in the current catalogue year and there will be stocks available, hopefully for some time, in retailers. No catalogue has actually shown the 3 items in their final model state and until Andy's posting at #45 most of us didn't know which versions were open cab and which were closed cab versions. The magazines are unlikely to review all variants, probably only one, so customers not using sites like this and relying on the catalogue could conclude the model is no longer available, or have to seek out info from their retailer

It's probably worth a further clarification; my understanding is that at the point that the brief for the 2014 catalogue was being compiled it was anticipated that the 1Fs would have been delivered and distributed. However there was an extension to the production and shipping dates from the factory which meant that the 1F delivery has coincided with the release of a catalogue rather than preceding it. Of course it's likely that further livery/number variations will follow in due course but not during the life of the 2014 catalogue. Remember that the 2015 catalgue is scheduled to appear around March.

The magazines only receive one version. A small quantity of samples are flown in ahead of the main delivery. One each from this preview batch is sent out to the mags and Dennis tries to ensure that each magazine has a different version/livery. So, if you want to see reviews of all of them, it's a good plan to buy ALL the mags. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Gee us a clue....Which mag is reviewing the full-cab LMS version .........?  :biggrin_mini2:

If I was a placing a bet Chris' mag would get my money ...................... Dead cert after seeing MR 199 page 10  ;) 

(review in MR 200 though out 28th August)

Edited by Ramrig

... Dennis Lovett's explanation for the non appearance in the 2014/15 catalogue doesn't make sense, as the catalogue is a retail catalogue intended for retail customers and not a pure trade catalogue, so although sold out by Bachmann, it will still be released to the retail trade in the current catalogue year and there will be stocks available, hopefully for some time, in retailers.

It's probably worth a further clarification; my understanding is that at the point that the brief for the 2014 catalogue was being compiled it was anticipated that the 1Fs would have been delivered and distributed.

Let's not forget that the retail catalogue where the 1F appears is described by Bachmann Branch-Line as their 2013/2014 catalogue so it does appear in a 'current' catalogue.

That it does not appear in the 2014/2015 catalogue makes perfect sense in terms of communicating that it is not available for sale in 2015.

Edited by Ozexpatriate