Bachmann 1F

neal

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm a very happy bunny now, thanks to Andy Sawyer of Sawyer Models in Earlestown, Newton-le-Willows http://sawyermodels.co.uk/ , who sent me a BR late-crest half-cab version, which was just the one I wanted.

It arrived well packaged and in good order today, so my thanks to Andy for the prompt and very efficient service and competitive price (no connection other than a very satisfied customer).

• Like 1

Well, I'm a very happy bunny now, thanks to Andy Sawyer of Sawyer Models in Earlestown, Newton-le-Willows http://sawyermodels.co.uk/ , who sent me a BR late-crest half-cab version, which was just the one I wanted.

It arrived well packaged and in good order today, so my thanks to Andy for the prompt and very efficient service and competitive price (no connection other than a very satisfied customer).

Glad we could help out :) and feel free to use us again in the future if there is anything you ever need. Quite often we get our deliveries a few days after the big boys have had theirs and sold out and in many cases we're the same price or cheaper. 

Thank you for your kind words

andy

sawyer models

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have bought one of the full cab models brand new - very nicely done by Bachmann and I'm so glad they haven't (quite) sold out everywhere. The model is beginning to loosen up but it waddles from side to side on the rolling road. The ends oscillate about 1.5 mm on every revolution of the wheels. My Bachmann class 03 diesels do this as well. The ammeter shows a tiny fluctuation too, like something is almost binding.

Could anyone shed any light on this - possibly one or more wheels not orthogonal on their axle or a problem in the quartering? It's not noticeable when the model is running on the track.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard (47137),

I have had this happen in the past with one of mine.  As soon as it was on the track the wobble disappeared.  Found this happen, too, with a pannier tank that made me feel seasick when watching it on the rolling road, but was fine when on the less than perfect track.  If it's of use, it was a Bachmann roller setup.

Regards,

Alex.

• 8 months later...

Hi Richard (47137),

I have had this happen in the past with one of mine.  As soon as it was on the track the wobble disappeared.  Found this happen, too, with a pannier tank that made me feel seasick when watching it on the rolling road, but was fine when on the less than perfect track.  If it's of use, it was a Bachmann roller setup.

Regards,

Alex.

It is the inaccuracy of the rolling road that does the wobble, if it was aligned perfectly then no wobble will occur. Not saying that the particular Bachmann is wrong, but they can be over gauge, or a roller is not truly running parallel to the frame, Wheels have coned tyres and try to hunt as they roll, and hunt at a different phase on each roller, causing the tyre to oscillate back and forth.

Stephen

Just took delivery of an LMS open cab version and very happy with the detailing and performance, quiet and smooth and not yet run in. It does not wobble on my new rolling road!, but only after a lot of careful set up. No wobble on the wheels and concentric tyres. The open cab cries out for a proper crew!

Stephen

Just took delivery of an LMS open cab version and very happy with the detailing and performance, quiet and smooth and not yet run in. It does not wobble on my new rolling road!, but only after a lot of careful set up. No wobble on the wheels and concentric tyres. The open cab cries out for a proper crew!

Stephen

Falcon Figures do a set designed for the 1F

Regards

By proper crew, not the plastic figures some well known brands have supplied in the past, and in period as well, within reason. The proportions are the other factor they range from Bernard Bresslaw to Tiny Tich, with arms a gorilla would be proud of, and look like they are nailed to a wall at attention.................drivers varied wildly of course, but the various makers were have in 4mm very due to the master makers skill more than being accurate or not. Monty's and Stadden are usually my own choice,,,,,,

Stephen

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been messing about with one the last couple of days... it started out as the late BR one.

attachicon.gifIMGP9857-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9858-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9859-001.JPG

Hi,

I realise this is thread resurrection taken to its limits, but I wonder if you may be able to help. Being largely ignorant with regard to Derby products and practises, a search through the RMWeb fora found this thread and your post above.

I'm thinking I may need a small ex-Midland Rly loco for a current project and a 1F would seem to fit the bill nicely. Would you mind saying whose products you used for the tank side numbers, bunker side "LMS" and the various number/build plates? I've found that Fox Transfers seem to have the numerals, but I can't see the plate in their catalogue.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I realise this is thread resurrection taken to its limits, but I wonder if you may be able to help. Being largely ignorant with regard to Derby products and practises, a search through the RMWeb fora found this thread and your post above.

I'm thinking I may need a small ex-Midland Rly loco for a current project and a 1F would seem to fit the bill nicely. Would you mind saying whose products you used for the tank side numbers, bunker side "LMS" and the various number/build plates? I've found that Fox Transfers seem to have the numerals, but I can't see the plate in their catalogue.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Funnily enough I was looking at the 1f last night, numbers and LMS are HMRS, can't remember exactly which sheet.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Funnily enough I was looking at the 1f last night, numbers and LMS are HMRS, can't remember exactly which sheet.

Many thanks! I did look (briefly) at the HMRS sheets, but couldn't make out which was the appropriate sheet! Is the "LMS" plate (was it a plate or was it a painted-on panel?) on the bunker is on the same sheet?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but as I mentioned, I'm a novice in Derby matters!

Thanks again,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks! I did look (briefly) at the HMRS sheets, but couldn't make out which was the appropriate sheet! Is the "LMS" plate (was it a plate or was it a painted-on panel?) on the bunker is on the same sheet?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but as I mentioned, I'm a novice in Derby matters!

Thanks again,

Mark

It was all in one, there are ones with plain corners and ones with reverse corners.

The LMS "plate" for the cab or bunker side of freight locos was a transfer.  Initially with rounded corners but quickly changed to scalloped cut-aways at each corner.  The livery specification changed in 1928 wih LMS lettering on tank or tender sides, but the older style could still be found into the very early thirties.

Edit:- see Stephen's post below which corrects my error.

Edited by Buhar

• RMweb Gold

The LMS "plate" for the cab or bunker side of freight locos was a transfer. Initially with rounded corners but quickly changed to scalloped cut-aways at each corner. The livery specification changed in 1928 wih LMS lettering on tank or tender sides, but the older style could still be found into the very early thirties.

Thanks for that, I'm not 100% (well nowhere near 100%) up on LMS but I do like the 1Fs and the early livery and coming across the photo in locomotives illustrated (as I'm sure Larry did too) I just had to do it.

It was a way of carrying on the Midland Railway practice of having the company crest/name on the side of the cab and large numbers on the tank or tender. Using a quite modern logo for the 1920s.

They didn't realise that all the other LMS constituents swapped tenders during overhauls. So it was quite short lived.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

It was a way of carrying on the Midland Railway practice of having the company crest/name on the side of the cab and large numbers on the tank or tender. Using a quite modern logo for the 1920s.

They didn't realise that all the other LMS constituents swapped tenders during overhauls. So it was quite short lived.

Jason

Not a problem with tank engines, however.

Beware! Quite a few of the 1377 Class 0-6-0Ts were rebuilt with Belpaire G5 boilers after the livery change from number to LMS on the tank side. S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3 (Irwell Press, 2002) gives dates for rebuilding. He also states (Vol. 1) that the panel with concave corners was decided upon "at the end of 1923", the version with convex corners at the end of 1926, and the move to tank/tender-side LMS at the close of 1927. 

The only photo he has showing a rebuilt engine with the bunker-side initials is of 1736 with the convex-cornered panel in April 1927. This engine has one of the odd variants of full cab - shorter than the version Bachmann do. 

He also states (Vol. 1) that the panel with concave corners was decided upon "at the end of 1923", the version with convex corners at the end of 1926, and the move to tank/tender-side LMS at the close of 1927.

Thanks Stephen, I provided duff info from memory there.  The convex cornered version seems much rarer which makes sense with only a 12 month window for application.