Railmatch Rail Grey (RM206) looking Beige !

I just did some spraying with a can of RM206 rall grey (The class 31 on the left). But the dried paint looks much closer to intercity beige than grey. I wondered if anyone else has encountered this?  (The class 37, painted elsewhere, looks the correct shade)

post-15640-0-99459000-1368867649_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bought a bottle of the railmatch 2206 acrylic Rail Grey and I thought exactly the same.  When I put it along side a Hornby MK4 coach it was a perfect match for the beige on the swallow livery!

I've just painted some TTA tanks - I had presumed 1206 Rail Grey (aerosol) was the correct colour but I have to agree mine look a bit beige too. I was wondering if I had just selected the wrong grey but was interested when I read this thread.....

Sounds like Railmatch may have confused their own 200 Executive Light Grey with 206 Rail Grey and mis-labelled.

200 Executive Light Grey is the beige colour used on Swallow/Scotrail/Regional lower bodysides etc - I used to think I must be colour-blind when it was described as light grey.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I can say from my own personal experience that this in my book can only be an unfortunate labelling mistake.

I have used vast quantities of both Railmatch enamels (don't use acrylic) and Precision and I much prefer Railmatch for a number of reasons.

In the very early days when the Railmatch range was first started there were several 'slip ups' with the accuracy of some colours.

This happened for a number of reasons that no longer matter and were rectified many years ago.

For very many years now the Railmatch paint has been of the highest technical quality and totally accurate in all colours.

I'm not going to debate that to one person a colour will look right whereas the same colour will look wrong to another person - this is something that cannot ever change.

All I will say is that I know that Railmatch paint is produced by a competent manufacturer for Howes who has been in the business for many years.

There is one outside possibility - its just possible that pigment might have settled in the bottom of the can and not re-mixed - this could cause a shade change of course but is very rare in a paint of the Railmatch quality - and as several people have made a similar comment is even less likely.

No this is almost certainly an unfortunate 'one off' mistake in miss-labelling a batch.

I am not in any way connected with any company or brand mentioned  except as a satisfied and long term user of the product mentioned.

Regards.

PS:

Just thought I'd add the following-

In paint chemistry terms British Rail Grey (Spec.81 Item 206) as used on Blue/Grey rolling stock is what is considered as a 'brown' shade of grey rather than a 'blue' grey. As I'm sure most will agree the colour does exhibit a certain 'warmth' of tone.

Edited by TheWeatheringMan

• 1 month later...

An interesting read. I was just trying to paint match a vitrains 37 using Railmatch rail grey and have the opposite problem... it's too grey without the brown tint. When searching on rmweb archive there is someone who matched the same loco perfectly using rail grey.. !

• 3 years later...

A few years on and I've just sprayed using a brand new bottle from Hattons and it looks beige to me.... a completely different shade to my previous bottle! I don't know if anyone else has this issue.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have exactly the same problem, on a Vitrains class 37 428. As the paint dries there is a beige tint, which is annoying. 

the rail blue is an excellent match. 

This is using acrylics. 

Edited by richierich
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Wish I found this thread before. Bought some Railmatch 2206 Rail Grey at at the Macclesfield show. Perfect for LL 37 roof. Looks about right through the transparent pot, but the actual paint is more very light brown than grey,  started painting and built up a few thinned coats by brush (my usual way), and hmmm, not quite right looking colour shade.

Back to trawling photos of blue grey ic coaches and LL roofs, all much "whiter" to the eye. So that is a long winded way of agreeing with above posts.

Just been on the railmatch web site, 2206 is listed for blue grey stock, LL loco roof etc. But it is not actually, as above posts its  looking like the intercity beige livery element.

Anyway, sorted it, mixed some white and Citadel "Administartum grey", two thinned coats over the existing 2206 has done the trick, to my eyes anyway. I was going to do this anyway before I saw the 2206 on sale,  still had to in the end!

But as a bonus, I think the iteration of 2206 I have would make a great colour for the translucent grp panels on loco roof, like on the class 25, 26 etc. I have a 26 and a 27 to build so it will come in handy for them.

As usual with modelling, every day is a schoolday.

Note - Some of the posts above are quite old and quote slightly different numbers, but the overall issue would appear to be the same.

Note 2 - Just emailed Howes Models who market Railmatch paint to point out the discrepancy. If I get a response, I will post an update. I am not bothered about the couple of quid for the pot, its more about helping solve the discrepancy.

Cheers,

TT100 Diesels

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Added note 2 to save another add on post