Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

Thanks, chaps. Canny rather than at death’s door! That’s much better. Lovely video and pictures, adb9680088, thank you for posting. I can’t say I’m canny; I didn’t want to chance missing one of these beauties so I didn’t wait. I have no regrets.

As for Rails, I think it is how things are dealt with when they go wrong which matters. I got an EE 10000 from Rails. Excellent model. Then I got a 10001 which was faulty. I was e-mailed a reply-paid label. The replacement was faulty too. I was asked if I still had the label. I had, so it went back too and was replaced quickly without quibble. Third time lucky. I can’t fault that service.

• Like 1

Up to about 1963 most (if not all) of the class were shopped at Horwich Works for which Bolton Shed was the main servicing depot, and were seen on running-in turns from there.

13251 had a repair, for collision damage, at St Rollox. There are a few where the EHC specified Rugby, but generally the EHCs didn't state where a repair was carried out. Although Crewe built, repairs were indeed at Horwich and running in turns were based on Bolton shed. From December 1963 'Maintenance transferred to Swindon' was stamped on the EHCs, although only seven actually were sent there.

In later years the class was concentrated in the Birmingham, Crewe and Chester areas. Nuneaton had many in the 1960s, after which the survivors finished up at Gorton and Heaton Mersey, with the last three at Springs Branch.

Edit : Rails is a hard headed thriving business..Not greedy just growing successfully and prepared to spend capital to grow whatever one might think of them.

Yeah, we all know that, but they can't get it right every time. No one's perfect - except me. :sungum:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of pictures here of running in turns...

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page53.htm

About half way down the page

42982 at rochdale with a local from Liverpool,

42977 on a Bolton - Leeds - Manchester. Victoria turn.

I saw a picture elsewhere on this site of 42968 double heading, I think a black 5 on a Bolton - Rochdale turn.

• Like 2

Derails is always my preference for buying, Dan or his team always test the locos prior to despatch and their customer service is second to none. The late crest mogul I purchased on pre-order from them was a very good deal. This was honoured, even though Bachmann had raised the price pre-release.

If you have to use the "boxshifters" Rails aren't a bad option.

I think the answer is a good deal less morbid than that ( And I should talk :senile:  )  I think us punters are a bit cannier with our money than of yore and simply will not pay the asking price first time round.

I bought mine from a show (Ally Pally?) when it was first released. I can't remember the dealer, but got it for £125, which was a good deal better than anywahere else at the tim. Just goes to show that looking around pays off.

Stewart

Finally bitten the bullet and bought one. I managed get late crest version 42968 from the gift shop at Bridgnorth station on the Severn Valley Railway during a visit there a couple of days ago. Thought this would be a very appropriate place to buy it from. It's a fine example to, runs very smoothly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hope this is the right place to ask this question about the Bachmann model of 42968. A friend has asked me to change the late crest on the supplied tender to the earlier version of the crest as per Fox Transfers pack FRH 4001. Not being totally familiar with the actual size of the early crests I just need to know of the three sizes which is the correct one to use to replace the late crest. The three sizes are: large 8.6mm wide x 9.1mm high; medium 4.9mm wide x 5.2mm high; and small 2.8mm wide x 3mm high. I am guessing large or medium if some kind person can confirm for me before I remove the original crests.

Many thanks

The crests were the medium size: 15" wide by 15.5" high.

Could I point out that the model is depicted with AWS. I have no photos depicting the loco with early crest and AWS. She seems to have received the later crest by 1959, preceding AWS fitment.

Edited by LMS2968

I thought I'd check for AWS fitment, and the timing reservoir is in place near the bottom of the vacuum pipe to the ejector.

There's a small AWS timing reservoir on the driver's side just ahead of the cab, the large reservoir and battery box were on the fireman's side. Also on the driver's side was the front to back conduit for the cabling, clipped to the running plate angle and partly hiding the lining, as in the photo.

Thanks LMS2968

There is the battery box ahead of the cab on the fireman's side - quite large and noticeable - and ahead of it a fairly large vacuum cylinder. There is a much smaller cylinder - the timing reservoir - on the driver's side just ahead of the vertical vacuum pipe from the ejector to the running plate.

• 1 month later...

As much as I like them, I wasn't going to buy one. Until that is, I saw one at East Somerset Models the other day and parted with my cash. I only went in to pick up the new Hornby xGWR toad.

Right, can anyone help me with the numbers of those that visited Bristol?

Edit.

I've found pictures of 42954 at Swindon, after overhaul and 42945 before. And 42954 again at Warminster, presumably during a running-in turn. I imagine it would have gone home via Kemble.

Edited by JZ

• 1 month later...

G'Day Gents

Not knowing a lot about these loco's can I ask two questions, did they ever run with a bigger LMS tender, and did they ever get down to London in the 1930's.

Thanks in advance. 

manna

G'Day Gents

Not knowing a lot about these loco's can I ask two questions, did they ever run with a bigger LMS tender,

In preservation, 2968 had two periods with a Stanier 4000 gallon type while her Fowler tender was under repair. In LMS and BR days, no, but there is a photo of 2973 in Horwich works yard newly repainted in May 1953 apparently coupled to a Stanier tender in similar condition. Possibly they are merely buffered up or coupled together to ease movement around the yard. They almost certainly did not re-enter traffic together.

and did they ever get down to London in the 1930's.

Thanks in advance. 

manna

A number of the locos were allocated to both Willesden and Kentish Town from new, so worked regularly to London over both LNWR and MR routes.

In preservation, 2968 had two periods with a Stanier 4000 gallon type while her Fowler tender was under repair. In LMS and BR days, no, but there is a photo of 2973 in Horwich works yard newly repainted in May 1953 apparently coupled to a Stanier tender in similar condition. Possibly they are merely buffered up or coupled together to ease movement around the yard. They almost certainly did not re-enter traffic together.

A number of the locos were allocated to both Willesden and Kentish Town from new, so worked regularly to London over both LNWR and MR routes.

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the information, much appreciated, any idea which ones were allocated  to Willesden/Kentish Town . Thanks

manna

Initially, 13258 - 61 went to Kentish Town; 13267 - 68 and 13272 - 74 went to Willesden. From 1935 they were concentrated on the former LNWR lines. 13260 went to Willesden from 03/08/35, 13271 from 27/01/34, 13282 from 18.01/35, 13283 from 04/11/36 and 13285 from 19/01/35.

The 2-6-0 came down to North Wales some years ago coupled to a Stanier Tender. I assumed at the time it was to increase the capacity for mainline running. The Tender carried several tons of el-cheapo Polish nutty slack and, following a 'slack' at Abergele, proceeded to cause a partial eclipse of the sun as it climbed towards Llandulas!

Also that day, i realised it has a whistle, which was used almost the full length of Colwyn Bay platforms on its after-dark return run. Weirdly, I never noticed this feature in steam days.

Edited by coachmann

The Stanier tender had nothing to do with main line running, Larry, although it did encompass the entire time the engine was on the network. Her own tender was having a new tank built, slightly wider than the original and holding 3,900 gallons of water.

The second period of running with the Stanier tender (from 5110 in both cases) was when her tender was having the tyres replaced. It received a full overhaul at the same time.

The first thirty class members were fitted with Midland-type 'bell' whistles; only the final ten had Stanier hooters. This situation lasted throughout their lives. Strangely, the Stanier type is a direct replacement for the Midland pattern. We know; we've tried!

• Like 1

These engines all preceded the Stanier tenders so had the Fowler 'Standard' 3,500 gallon type. The sort of diagrams they worked didn't really need anything bigger, unlike the 5XP 'Jubilees', many of which also had the Fowler tender for decades.

Also that day, i realised it has a whistle, which was used almost the full length of Colwyn Bay platforms on its after-dark return run. Weirdly, I never noticed this feature in steam days.

Until I first saw the preserved example, at the SVR I think, I hadn't noticed the whistle on this class at all. Partly because there were so many Midland locos in the North-West in the 50s-60s period that it just didn't stand out, and also because the whistle on this loco is so out of tune that I really wasn't sure about its provenance at the SVR anyway. When I asked the driver, he said he thought it was LYR! Not so, the LYR whistle has a melodious sound, not all like the banshee shriek of the preserved Stanier mogul.

Perhaps one day it will be replaced with a new one.