Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

Guest Midland Mole

I would be heartbroken if 42968 ever lost it's Midland whistle. As much as I love a Stanier hooter, I know which I prefer. :)

Alex

The Stanier 2-6-0's whistle sounds to me like a standard LMS 'Fowler' whistle same as on a Hughes Crab. Where the former differs is the sharp blast which is more akin to a GWR locomotive. The Hughes Crab has a softer blast, no doubt due to its lower working steam pressure. I am still on the lookout for a suitable DCC sound, but might resort to a Stanier sound in the end and fit a horizontally mounted hooter that I have in stock.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

I wasn't suggesting that 42968 should get a hooter, but that it would benefit from a new whistle.

Ah, I misunderstood. :)

Originally I was planning on only getting the LMS version, but today I decided to also buy the model of 42968 itself. I thought I might as well considering it only lives just up the road from me. ;)

Alex

• Like 1

The first thirty class members were fitted with Midland-type 'bell' whistles; only the final ten had Stanier hooters. This situation lasted throughout their lives. Strangely, the Stanier type is a direct replacement for the Midland pattern. We know; we've tried!

Interesting. Seeing as the vertically-mounted Fowler whistle is generally visible above the cab roof and a Stanier hooter is not, can I presume an 'L' shaped pipe was screwed onto the whistle mounting before the hooter was attached horizontally? 

Surprisingly, no. Although the Midland whistle is vertical, the steam supply into it is horizontal at about the same height as the Stanier connection. Apparently, it all just fitted together, including the pitch for the mounting studs.

By the way, it was shed staff at Bridgnorth who fitted the Stanier whistle, not the SMF. We would never do anything like that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could anyone please recommend a suitable decoder for this loco? I have no experience of 21 pin applications. Thanks.

Two choices are available beginning with the whistles. If you prefer the Midland whistle, which isn't a mile away from a GWR whistle, then the YouChoos Fowler 2-6-4T has a decently deep sharp exhaust. If on the otherhand you are replacing the Bachmann whistle with a Stanier hooter, then the YouChoos LMS Stanier/Fairburn 2-6-4T sound is good. For a taster of what the real 5MT 2-6-0 sounds like, there is a video on YouTube of it departing Highley. The exhaust has the sharpness of a GWR engine.

• Like 1