Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

Oh thats good then only About 2 years then before we see one in the shop Hopefully fingers crossed and all that. Better start saving.

2 years. You're quite the optimist. Still waiting on the warflats as well

Edited by hornbyandbf3fan

2 years. You're quite the optimist. Still waiting on the warflats as well

Exactly 2 years since it was announced, and still only at the drawing office.!!

I don't know why they bother announcing so early........I realise it putting a stake in the ground indicating others should steer clear.

Brings the Bulleid diesel to mind from Kernow........................has to be near 5 years since that was announced, and last I heard on that one was that no one had yet visited York to look at the drawings.

But this seems to be the way of things today.

Exactly 2 years since it was announced, and still only at the drawing office.!!

I don't know why they bother announcing so early........I realise it putting a stake in the ground indicating others should steer clear.

Brings the Bulleid diesel to mind from Kernow........................has to be near 5 years since that was announced, and last I heard on that one was that no one had yet visited York to look at the drawings.

But this seems to be the way of things today.

Not so sure it is even putting a stake in the ground "250BOB"

I presume Dave Jones though the market was his and KMRC for the class 71, and his and Hattons for the King and the 14xx, and his for the class 59 diesel.

I am happy to wait. Gives more time to save the pennies.

When models are suddenly popping out of a hat to surprise everyone, it makes me wonder if some of the announcements made some years ago in more optimistic times have since been considered as rash. I happen to think there is a 'time' for each model when it will sell well. Common & garden black steam locos did well until quite recently, but an LMS Stanier 2-6-0 now?  

Yes, I would have thought, in all seriousness, that this is a locomotive that might be better served as a brass/white metal kit.  I wonder if there is a compatible RTR chassis available for a less expensive white metal loco shell?  And didn't the Stanier mogul use a Fowler tender?

• RMweb Gold

When models are suddenly popping out of a hat to surprise everyone, it makes me wonder if some of the announcements made some years ago in more optimistic times have since been considered as rash. I happen to think there is a 'time' for each model when it will sell well. Common & garden black steam locos did well until quite recently, but an LMS Stanier 2-6-0 now?  

Models of GWR, LNER, SR and BR Standard Moguls have done well. Why would an LMS Mogul (albeit from a quite small class numerically) not also do well?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Models of GWR, LNER, SR and BR Standard Moguls have done well. Why would an LMS Mogul (albeit from a quite small class numerically) not also do well?

For the reason I mentioned but it's only my view. In steam days they were overshadowed in the enthusiast world by the Crabs and Black Fives. One would be lucky to see one and so serious layout builders would not buy one if there was little hope of finding an excuse for one. The Stanier 2-6-0's don't have the wow factor that attracts the big spenders today. I just feel it has missed its slot. In contrast, the cheap & cheerful Crosti 2-10-0 will sell because it has 'wow' about it. In such cases it matters not that the class were tied to Cricklewood and in theory few serious layout owners will buy one. I think the solitary LNER hush-hush 4-6-4 in original form (for example) would put more money in the coffers at the moment than the 5MT 2-6-0, if you see what I mean.

Edited by coachmann

For the reason I mentioned but it's only my view. In steam days they were overshadowed in the enthusiast world by the Crabs and Black Fives. One would be lucky to see one and so serious layout builders would not buy one if there was little hope of finding an excuse for one. The Stanier 2-6-0's don't have the wow factor that attracts the big spenders today. I just feel it has missed its slot. In contrast, the cheap & cheerful Crosti 2-10-0 will sell because it has 'wow' about it. In such cases it matters not that the class were tied to Cricklewood and in theory few serious layout owners will buy one. I think the solitary LNER hush-hush 4-6-4 in original form (for example) would put more money in the coffers at the moment than the 5MT 2-6-0, if you see what I mean.

Personally this loco has been on my wishlist for ages, I think it will sell in sufficient numbers due to it's rarety value. Maybe someone will then update the Black Five and Hughes Crab which although good are in need of a makeover and revamp. Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

Personally this loco has been on my wishlist for ages, I think it will sell in sufficient numbers due it's rarety value.

Mine too,,, ,,,, and on many others I suspect.

And have no interest whatsoever in "Hush Hush".....but then its a regional thing with me, no doubt it would probably be more popular than the mogul.

...the cheap & cheerful Crosti 2-10-0 will sell ...

Not the Hornby one, then, which I believe is listed at well over £100, even though it's RailRoad.

Reasonable & cheerful, maybe, but surely not cheap!

On the subject of the Stanier 2-6-0, I can't imagine many people buying more than one, which may be putting Bachmann off, but that's true of many of the more obscure types that are now available RTR, and makes it even more crazy that no-one has done the J69 tank yet, as there are loads of livery variations of those that I would buy.

Well we've got  ( the LMS fans amongst us) the Crab, and Ivatt 4 of the larger moguls - we might as well complete the trio, I need 3 to replace my somewhat outdated kit-built,  2 x K's, and an 'obscure' Millholme or Nu-Cast excuse of a kit, bought s/h which was originally glued, I stripped in paintstripper, and soldered  ??!! The 'Lobster-pots' were quite common around the Midlands, mainly at Bescot, Aston, and Nuneaton, and were quite popular.

• Like 4

The 'obscure' one was, originally, Millholme. Still got mine but have yet to get round to replacing the supplied smoke box door which was oddly bulbous, bit like Thomas the Tank, with something a bit better. Runs well enough though.

• 1 month later...

That's today's rrp. But what will it be when it finally gets here in 2years if we're lucky.

I would say at the rate of price increases, somewhere around £175 less the permitted discount allowed by Bachmann of 15%. The Class 40s range from £139.95 to £149.95 which are over double what I paid for mine last year.

When people were used to 'constant' prices they were more likely to make impulse purchases with the result that all models sold well. With a current situation of rising prices, I am sure folk are thinking twice before buying even the locos they really really want. Therefore I imagine there is some ang'st taking place at Bachmann over the locos they announced several years ago when times were ripe for testing the market with shall we say less obvious contenders for your money (I doubt the L&Y 2-4-2T would be announced in today's climate). The Stanier 2-6-0 is not a loco that sets one on fire but its preserved status probably helps, and the Brighton Atlantic is even more precarious, so both would need a lot of impulse purchasers to cover the cost of production etc. I have not lost sight of the fact that Hornby and Bachmann are mass-producers and require massive markets.

With the GWR being a relatively safe bet, I personally would be thinking in terms of a state of the art 'Manor', Large Prairie and possibly a Saint. The only other engines that spring to mind as £££-attractors are the LNER Thompson Pacifics.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

When people were used to 'constant' prices they were more likely to make impulse purchases with the result that all models sold well. With a current situation of rising prices, I am sure folk are thinking twice before buying even the locos they really really want. Therefore I imagine there is some ang'st taking place at Bachmann over the locos they announced several years ago when times were ripe for testing the market with shall we say less obvious contenders for your money (I doubt the L&Y 2-4-2T would be announced in today's climate). The Stanier 2-6-0 is not a loco that sets one on fire but its preserved status probably helps, and the Brighton Atlantic is even more precarious, so both would need a lot of impulse purchasers to cover the cost of production etc. I have not lost sight of the fact that Hornby and Bachmann are mass-producers and require massive markets.

With the GWR being a relatively safe bet, I personally would be thinking in terms of a state of the art 'Manor', Large Prairie and possibly a Saint. The only other engines that spring to mind as £££-attractors are the LNER Thompson Pacifics.

The advantage of the Stanier mogul and the Brighton atlantic is that they will sometime appear in the modern full size world and therefore have an additional attraction in the marketplace as 'the engine we saw/travelled behind on the XYZ railway last month'.  Thus they have a potential marketing advantage from being about in the real world while the Brighton atlantic might gain some benefit from being rather more unusual within relatively recent(ish) times and of having got about on various railtours (including one over an ex GWR branchline!).

I'm not so sure in other respects about the Stanier mogul, notwithstanding its 'preserved' status as they were - as you have said - seemingly totally overshadowed by the Horwich design and Stanier Black Fives but again the novelty value will appeal to some modellers because of their rarity.   But I still reckon a properly re-worked 'Manor' and a similarly updated 43XX would probably do better than the Stanier engine in the wider marketplace (starting with me ;) ).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

Or perhaps they will be looking to see how much angst and hand-wringing there is on here before they commit further.

It is the retailers - who are the manufacturer's customers - who determine what gets made. If they place a sufficient volume of orders for the proposed product, then production goes ahead. If not, nothing happens.

I'm not so sure in other respects about the Stanier mogul, notwithstanding its 'preserved' status as they were - as you have said - seemingly totally overshadowed by the Horwich design and Stanier Black Fives but again the novelty value will appeal to some modellers because of their rarity.   

True enough in many respects, but by the 60's Crabs had become rare south of Stafford, but Nuneaton having near enough half the class of Stanier Moguls on it's books, along with Bescot, and Aston based examples had become regular visitors to Willesden in the last few years of steam, so like me, many southern England based enthusiasts would have an excuse for fond memories :sungum: .

• Like 1

Well, I have a Stanier Mogul on pre-order and, unless I'm in dire financial straits at the time it arrives, I won't cancel. I have a kit built model which has never been quite the same since it suffered a gravitational attraction to a concrete floor, and the Bachmann model is billed as a replacement.

I agree with Coachman that impulse purchases will reduce in the present climate. I have a few items on pre-order and others not pre-ordered that I do plan to buy. I had thought to buy a Bachmann Class 43 Warship but, on balance, I think I'll wait to see what others arrive in the next few months. I have a couple of Class 42s and a 43 would be nice but not essential(for me). If at some future date it turns up at a "Hattons bargain" price I might indulge, but otherwise, I'll pass and put the money elsewhere. The increasing prices are making me more selective, particularly in the context of impending retirement and reduced future income.

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp
  • Like 1