Locomotives Illustrated Classes 26 & 27

Evenin' all,

Some great pictures amongst the previously seen....D5359 taking the Callander route at Dunblane with a Stirling to Oban freight in 1963; Jim Binnie's pics at Larbert were a joy too...also,  great shot at Thornton jcn of 2x26 on an Aberdeen to Edinburgh express in 1960 by  W. J. V. Anderson.

Great scenes

Dave

Picked up copy of this today, I'm delighted with it, good info and some great photos in both BR Blue and Green.  On page 40 a real gem of a photo of tandem powered Class 27103 and 47 461 "Charles Rennie Macintosh" in L/L Blue livery.  Photos of 47 461 in L/L Blue livery are very rare indeed, it only carried this livery for a couple of months or so, prior to it's repaints: firstly into InterCity branded Red Stripe Exec and finally ScotRail branded Blue Stripe Exec.

Highly recommended if your a type 2 Sulzer fan  :good:

Picked a copy up this morning.  First impressions, some good not-before-seen photos from my period of interest (Transition), along with some familiar shots, attention to detail lacking in a number of captions that I've skim-read, and some blatant inaccuracies. 

The one howling disappointment is that unless I've missed it, there is no footage at all of the 26s at work on the Waverley Route, where they must have put in about 300,000 miles.

....26s in sector livery were not numerous and comparatively speaking didn't carry the livery for a long time...27s were either green or blue.

Also the type of work carried out by the sector liveried 26s was very similar i.e. one picture looked much like the next.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

It must be popular, went into the main London Victoria branch of WHSmiths last night and there was just one rather battered dogeared copy left!!

....26s in sector livery were not numerous and comparatively speaking didn't carry the livery for a long time...27s were either green or blue.

Also the type of work carried out by the sector liveried 26s was very similar i.e. one picture looked much like the next.

Dave

Im 50/50 in agreement, but your point is fair

I picked this up the other week also. Overall I thought pretty good, but as others have said, seemed to be lacking in RF/Coal/Dutch pictures of class 26's in the early 90's towards the end. Specifically it would have been nice to have had more coverage of D5300/D5301 in their final period re-painted back in Green,

It must be popular, went into the main London Victoria branch of WHSmiths last night and there was just one rather battered dogeared copy left!!

Strangely enough, there was only one copy in Cheltenham when I got mine last week. I suspect Smiffs are reducing the amount of copies they are stocking.

• RMweb Premium

None at all in Horsham, Brighton (new Station branch, much better than the old pokey shed!) or other Victoria branches.  Checking Chichester later today.  I am beggining to suspect WHSmiths are like the previous poster said starting to cut down on their magazine stocks.

Of course if they bothered to present them properly rather than the usual 'result of a hurricane through a church fete bookstall' look and sorted their stores out they might find they had more customers buying more stuff.  How they keep going is a bit of a mystery to me...

Archived