Rumney Models - To Reopen 1st September

jjnewitt

Hi All,

Over the past few months I have been working on a number of etches, primarily for my own 4mm P4 needs. I am now in a postion to accept orders for a number of items including sprung milk tank chassis, milk tank detailing parts, sprung BR 8 shoe clasp brake chassis and sprung diesel bogie bits. Further information can be found here:

www.rumneymodels.co.uk

There are also details of forthcoming items such as fully sprung single bolster coach bogies.

post-13847-0-89266100-1370029779.jpg

post-13847-0-08912700-1370029941.jpg

post-13847-0-79405400-1370030055.jpg

post-13847-0-29842000-1370030268.jpg

Many thanks,

Justin Newitt

Edited by jjnewitt
Edit: Title change again
  • Like 6

Hi Justin,

The milk train for TG is pictured on p70 of 'Diesels on the Western Region' by Hugh Dady and is a 1967 Torrington to Exeter Riverside working. There are 6 x 3 axle milk tanks in the train. Can you have a look and let me know whether your underframes are suitable and which detailing parts you might have. PM me if you don't have access to the picture.

Dave  

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

New items are now available to order. These include:

Fully sprung single bolster coach bogies for EM and P4. There are five types initially: BR1 and Comonwealth for Mk1s and GWR 7', 9' heavy duty and 9' pressed steel.

post-13847-0-10285500-1377791929.jpg

The first of many Morton braked chassis. 17'6" over headstock, 10' wheelbase for vans and opens etc with either BR or RCH W-Irons. 16'6" over headstocks, 9' wheelbase for 16T welded 1/108 type minerals.

post-13847-0-82617300-1377791924.jpg

BR 42T Strip Coil wagon.

post-13847-0-16193300-1377791919_thumb.jpg

For further details, including prces and ordering instructions, see the Rumney Models webpages

Justin

• Like 4

Justin,

Just wondered if there has been any progress with the underframes and detailing bits for the LNER Milk Tank wagons.

Thanks,

Some progree has been made. The artwork for the underframe is finished but the detailing parts still need to be draw up. It's in the queue but will be after the equivalent SR milk tank parts. I've been distracted by wagon underframes recently and also instruction writing, which seems to take forever, so progress on this has been slow but I will return to the milk tanks soon.

Justin 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up regarding Justin's Strip Coil. I acquired one and have got, rather quickly, most of the way through building it. There's another picture on my workbench thread, but here's where I'm at right now.

post-256-0-72696800-1384768937.gif

For what it's worth, I reckon this to be a good kit: the basic body folds up very accurately; as many rivets as possible are represented by half-etching rather than embossing; the detail overlays line up well and the joins are sound. The only really fiddly bits are the detailing parts for the brake linkages...

Recommended (should you want a model of the prototype, of course).

Adam

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Firstly Rumney Models has moved. The new address is as follows:

3 Admiral Close, Stoke Park, Bristol, BS16 1WN

Lots of new products have been released recently to tempt you with! These include lots of wagon chassis for things such as:

Riveted and independent braked 16T minerals.

post-13847-0-30587100-1395415174_thumb.jpg

12’ wheelbase 21T & 24 1/2T unfitted mineral wagons (to suit the Parkside kits).

post-13847-0-02282100-1395415180_thumb.jpg

9’ and 10’ wheelbase unfitted iron ore tippler chassis.

There is a kit for the 42T bogie Strip Coils in their original pre-1955 wood lined days and also a detailing/upgrade etch for the Lima bogie bolster E body.

post-13847-0-48302200-1395415185_thumb.jpg

Further details can be found via Rumney Models.

Finally Rumney Models will be attending its very first exhibition on the 12/13th April when I will be at Scalefour North in Wakefield. I will have my test build models available to view, including some items in the pipeline; answers to any questions you may have and goodies to purchase! Cash only I’m afraid for this one. Please drop by the stand and say hello if you’re going to be there.

Justin

• Like 2

No news on the Western yet. I haven't had chance to look further at it yet. The Brassmasters ones would work but it's a lot of money just for the brakes and some method of fixing them to the bogies would be needed the facility for which would ideally would be included on the bogie etch. I've thought about etching up new brakes but that's as far as it's got so far.

Justin

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Firstly Rumney Models is on the move again. The new address is as follows:

7 Hurlingham Road, Bristol, BS7 9BA

I have three new wagon chassis that are now available to order:

There are two kits for the distinctive LMS clasp brake chassis as found under various vans, opens, Medfits, etc with either BR (kit B.51) or RCH (kit B.52) axleguards. Both kits include alternative parts to enable the chassis to be built for Shockopens and Conflats with their non-standard brake lever arrangement.

post-13847-0-40013700-1409761311_thumb.jpg

There is also a kit for the Derby clasp brake chassis (kit B.53). This was something of a curiosity and was to be found under only a handful of wagon types. This kit released covers the standard 17’6” x 10’ chassis as used under lot 3082 and 3232 Shocopens and, more importantly, the production Vanwides. Alternative parts are included to enable all three types to be modelled correctly. For the first time you can now correctly model a Vanwide!

post-13847-0-81403400-1409761283_thumb.jpg

The system’s origins in the LMS clasp brake are clear but there were a host of differences. Most obvious are the brake shoes, the asymmetric nature of the clasp brake hangers and the arrangement of the links around the main brake cross shaft. Quite why this system appeared when all other vacuum braked wagons of the period were being built with the BR clasp brake is anyone’s guess! The following diagram illustrates the differences:

post-13847-0-94962700-1409761257_thumb.jpg

All three kits cost £12 each. Further details can be found at Rumney Models.

Finally Rumney Models will be at Scaleforum at the end of the month. I will have my test build models available to view, including some items in the pipeline; answers to any questions you may have and goodies to purchase! Cash only please.

Justin

I take it you're in no danger of getting anywhere near the current VAT threshold!  :jester:

No danger of that at the moment. I'd also need to start selling a few more kits before I invest in a card reader, etc. Of course if anyone would like to put some more orders my way...  :)

Edited by jjnewitt

A very useful pair of chassis indeed Justin and I see from the Scalefour forum that there's a clasp-braked 12' wheelbase chassis for Pipes on the way too. Meantime, I've been assembling a pair of the 10' wheelbase clasp chassis. The first is under a red Panda shocvan. I've assembled it rigid I'm afraid, sorry Justin!

post-256-0-95065600-1410109389.jpg

post-256-0-60403200-1410109399.gif

Very nice kits - how's the Shochood B coming along?

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

That looks good. I like the way you've joined the vaccum pipes up the the brackets. Don't worry my lot 3117 Shocvan's rigid as well.  :)  It might be quiite fun to have a go at doing a working one sometime but that can wait for a very rainy day! Brackets and covers for the shock absorbing wagons with the springs on the solebars are on the way. 

The pipe wagon chassis is coming along. My test build of the clasp braked variant just needs the brake levers and guards doing now. There are some revisions that will need to be made (mainly to the solebar detail which is currently a real pain) and these will be checked on a kit for the Morton/lifting link type which should go on my next sheet of test etches.

post-13847-0-80039400-1410171686_thumb.jpg

The Shochood B is coming along and looking pretty good. As with the pipe there are a number of tweaks to be made before I'm happy and so I'm going to do a second test to check everything. Again that should go on the next test etch sheet.

post-13847-0-54980900-1410171698_thumb.jpg

I've found a scource of transfers for the Strip Coil wagon. John Talbot of Appleby Model Engineering does a sheet for lots of the vaccum braked steel coil wagon and they include the 'Return to Abbey Works', etc branding. I should try and get mine painted and finished.

Justin

Thanks Justin, particularly for the tip on the AME transfers. Now, how do I get hold of John Talbot? 

The Shochood looks much more refined that my plastic version, even at this early stage. Getting the hood right is the challenge, however. Is there any chance of a view of the ends to see how those have come out? These are an etched laminate aren't they?

Adam

Thanks Justin, particularly for the tip on the AME transfers. Now, how do I get hold of John Talbot? 

The Shochood looks much more refined that my plastic version, even at this early stage. Getting the hood right is the challenge, however. Is there any chance of a view of the ends to see how those have come out? These are an etched laminate aren't they?

Adam

John Talbot & Appleby Model Engineering can be found at the following address:

10 St. Dunstans Close

Battenhall

Worcester

WR5 2AJ

The code for the steel coil transfers is 4T55 which could be a suitable headcode for a fully fitted steel coil train from Margam. I can't find my catalogue at the moment so can't give you a price for them. There's loads of stuff on there.

The ends of the Shochood B are laminates and have come out ok. They need a bit of tweaking. Ideally a casting would be best but then you've got the issue of integrating it with the rest of the body. We'll see how it comes out once I've played with it further.

post-13847-0-27798300-1410264612_thumb.jpg

Justin