Heljan 7mm class 42 Warship and more

bagpipes331

• RMweb Gold

I have already decided on the Warship. I have wanted one for several years, and will happily save for it. (Plus the decoder)

However, a financial crisis is looming. I was going through my old photos from 1973 (40 years ago!!!!!!!!) when I snuck down to Cornwall for the day. I took a photo of a strange looking loco (to me) No 69 (later 45047) at Bodmin Road, and 7675 (25325) at a station that I can't recall. (any ideas?) I now want both!!

I'm afraid the double glazing and patio doors will have to wait!

I have added the pics taken on a Kodak instamatic, sorry for the poor quality.

attachicon.gifSCAN0237.JPG

attachicon.gifSCAN0238.JPG

That photo of the Type 2 reminded me of my version. Also in a low sun, but not as pretty a location:-

post-7024-0-50878000-1373645999.jpg

• 1 month later...

Re the Class 25:- I see on the Heljan Flyer at Telford they are now suggesting only the early body style Class 25 is planned initially (with smaller central window) - with a 25/3 possibly later should demand dictate - that's a shame as I probably wanted a later style one personally. No doubt many of us Blue/Yellow fans of the late 70's/80's will have to filler over the doors and repaint the whole yellow end!

Re the Class 45:- Apparently no decision has been made on the headcode box style for the Peak but my money is on a central split one. 

Despite the flyer saying the 25 will be the earlier version I too think the later body style is more, well a 25? The early bodies look too much the same as a 24/5/6/7 from the front but a 25/3 is only a 25/3 with great big hole underneath! I am trying to persuade them!

Yes the 45 with a split centre headcode were the most numerous so should, to me anyway, be the one to do.

Despite the flyer saying the 25 will be the earlier version I too think the later body style is more, well a 25? The early bodies look too much the same as a 24/5/6/7 from the front but a 25/3 is only a 25/3 with great big hole underneath! I am trying to persuade them!

Yes the 45 with a split centre headcode were the most numerous so should, to me anyway, be the one to do.

Try your best Brian - let's hope we can get a 25/3 out of them!

• 2 months later...

Been reading through this and see the 25/3 gaining popularity... so putting in a vote for the 25/1! Being a bit selfish, I see a nice option to convert to a 24/1 (headcode fitted) and with a little bit of brave cutting - probably after I've had it for a while... - can make it a true highland machine with tablet catchers so will make a lovely double header with my 26.

Try your best Brian - let's hope we can get a 25/3 out of them!

Hi Brian,

I tend to agree, yet I would dearly love a model of 7625 in Two-Tone Green with Full Yellow Ends, as seen in and around Parkend (Royal Forest of Dean) circa 1971 and/or 5180 (BFYE) also in the RFoD area in the early 1970's, maybe even 5202 (BFYE). So any of those options, pop some numbers on and the job is a good un!

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

CME

• 11 months later...

For those who have not spotted it in the latest Tower catalogue - I see the Class 25 & Class 45 have the go ahead now (not that we really expected anything else!) - I see the class 25 is quoted as going to be a class 25/1 for production in 2015/16.

• RMweb Premium

2020?  Surely we will all be whizzing around using personal rocket packs by then.............oh no, hang on.........being made by a Danish company :no:

Or should that be Dapol?  Should be available around 2040 then........well CAD drawings at least :D

2020.... There will be Time Travel by then :superman: - We will able to go forward in time to bring them back to now or then  :dontknow: ........ if that's the case, why haven't I got one in front of me now :scratchhead:

Cheers, Bob.

• RMweb Premium

2020.... There will be Time Travel by then :superman: - We will able to go forward in time to bring them back to now or then  :dontknow: ........ if that's the case, why haven't I got one in front of me now :scratchhead:

Cheers, Bob.

I have, puny earthling...........and the brake lever is still wrong! :)

If they do a class 45, how much of a problem would it be to convert to any of D1-8, and the class 46?

I was also thinking along the lines of converting one to a class 46. There was an extra lower bodyside grill carried by the class 46 (but a number of class 45's (30% of them?) also carried this  - so it depends which one Heljan do - maybe the later class 45's carried it? There are a few changes on the roof I believe but it wouldn't be too difficult. Someone might be able to detail things or maybe we should all have a look on Brian's class 45/46 modelling details on his flickr site. It would be good though to get a detailed answer from someone with such knowledge.

I'm sure someone will convert one to a class 44 too.

I read your post to mean that if drawings were provided, he will do the etches, Steve, is that what you meant?

If so, do the drawings have to be in CAD?

If so, I REALLY ought to learn it.........

• 2 weeks later...

If they do a class 45, how much of a problem would it be to convert to any of D1-8, and the class 46?

Aside from the nose with doors and discs, something in the back of my mind says that the long side grilles were of different length. So probably would be best done with new etches for the grilles, the noses would need filler and scribing for the doors. As your question intimates, the grilles on D9 & D10 were of a completely different pattern to the other 44's.

John.

• 7 months later...

Archived