Heljan 7mm class 42 Warship and more

bagpipes331

I am yet to become an 'expert' on Warships :mosking:  - what are the first impressions from those in the know, is it worth the money?

BTW, despite Heljans protestations to the contrary, ie that from the Cl33 onwards gearbox problems were/have been eliminated, this has proven not to be the case with their Cl33's and Howes, last time I looked, were out of stock of spare gears for the Class 33 too!?

ATVB

CME

I've been looking closely at the warships for a while now and I'm impressed, there are one or two issues but Heljan did say there was a few errors that needed correcting and this is the first pre production sample. The shape looks great the detail is getting better all the time, the wheels are a big improvement over the Western,

I honestly think this will be the best one yet. I could be slightly biased as I stock them but I'm still a modeller who will be purchasing them.

For me besides the conversions I have planned the only thing I would change would be the couplings as I always do on Heljan diesels.

But can I afford the JLTRT price differential? Nope.

Might be time for the other Pete to re-evaluate JLTRT prices in relation to a finished Heljan model? £400+ and then £300 for two ABC motor bogies and paint, glue, transfers, lighting etc etc..

Bit steep really.........

But can I afford the JLTRT price differential? Nope.

Might be time for the other Pete to re-evaluate JLTRT prices in relation to a finished Heljan model? £400+ and then £300 for two ABC motor bogies and paint, glue, transfers, lighting etc etc..

Bit steep really.........

Hi Jeff, :)

I would say; Do you need two motors and two gearboxes (ie how big are your trains/layout)? Do they have to be, as good as they are, ABC gearboxes/MBs? Also as ABC gearsets/MBs are so good, I have heard that one ABC gearbox and motor out performs two cheaper set-ups? Besides if you are comparing ABC gearboxes to Heljan's efforts, you are not comparing apples with apples/like for like - Heljan's motors are power hungry and not all that efficient and their gearsets are plastic and are known to break/split (no criticisms just observations).

I think that JLTRT have kept their prices fairly static and even reduced one or two, whereas Heljan prices have crept up and up, with the second hand market dropping and then climbing again eg. for Heljan Hymeks.

As I have said my concern with the Heljan locos is having to keep repairing gear-sets. I know of a fair few who have sold off, when repaired for a second time, their Heljan locos, some have re-geared with more expensive options such as ABC set ups.

The JLTRT diesels are not perfect, yet they are pretty close and their construction is akin to the likes of Tamiya (a benchmark in my eyes) and thus a breath of fresh air.

As we have said before time is often the 'enemy' as we all, I suspect, have way too many kits to build.

I suppose its also a case of you pays yer money and makes yer choice?

ATVB

CME :)

I only have one motor in my steamers and they take 12 coaches around leamington Spa just fine so when I start my JLTRT warships D600 & D63xx il pop in a Ron Chaplin gear box with canon motor. All wheel pick up will help but driven on one bogie. As mine will mostly be light loco movements on Ranelagh Bridge that will suffice.

If it can be done I could drop out a motor gearbox from one of the Heljan locos and use them

I only have one motor in my steamers and they take 12 coaches around leamington Spa just fine so when I start my JLTRT warships D600 & D63xx il pop in a Ron Chaplin gear box with canon motor. All wheel pick up will help but driven on one bogie. As mine will mostly be light loco movements on Ranelagh Bridge that will suffice.

If it can be done I could drop out a motor gearbox from one of the Heljan locos and use them

Hi Steve,

Helpful and informative - thanks.

As diesel outline (for me in the main with the occasional steam-outline) we often forget that steam-outline locos have only one motor and gearbox and that's kinda one of the points I am trying to make. Reducing rolling resistance also helps.

If I am reading your Post right? You would use a spare Heljan gear-set in a kit built loco - or vice versa (sorry if I am being obtuse)?

ATVB

CME

I suppose you all have a point, without JLTRT, the world would be a poorer place...I just wish I wasn't so much poorer after buying one. LOL

One wonders if Mr ABC would look at getting hold of gears to replace Heljan plastic with brass/steel? If it can be done, I guess he's your man.

If it could be done & I don't see why not take out a Heljan motor gear box and use it in a kit built diesel.

Hi Steve,

It would be possible, yet more complex than the more common or garden types? Also there is the reliability issue re. split gears etc.

I mentioned it somewhere before we measured the starting and running current for a Heljan 40 and it never got much above 1amp on a 12 coach train! So I think the high power draw of Heljan motors is a bit misleading.

You did indeed, I have seen tests across a range of the Heljan locos and IIRC some were above the 1 amp mark, so one has to be careful with the assumption that they will all be 1 amp with a large train. The nett outcome is of course that larger/higher rated, thus more expensive, decoders have to be used, if using DCC.

I suppose you all have a point, without JLTRT, the world would be a poorer place...I just wish I wasn't so much poorer after buying one. LOL

One wonders if Mr ABC would look at getting hold of gears to replace Heljan plastic with brass/steel? If it can be done, I guess he's your man.

Indeed, 7mm scale can be, but needn't be, pricey.

Eg. I would look to the likes of Markits or Steph Dale et al for quality gear replacements without the high price point of ABC products.

Thanks, hope that the above clarifies, kindest to all,

CME

Hydraulic heaven. Took the Warship for a spin on Friday, halfway through painting it. Got the numbers on it now, just needs varnishing.

Hi Brian

Very nice all you need for the line up is Falcon and a Teddy

Cheers Gareth

PS Keep up the good work all I need know is work out how many I need to go with my 16 Westerns 7 Hymeks 1Baby Warship 2 Teds 4 Western Region named 47's

Hi Brian

Very nice all you need for the line up is Falcon and a Teddy

Cheers Gareth

PS Keep up the good work all I need know is work out how many I need to go with my 16 Westerns 7 Hymeks 1Baby Warship 2 Teds 4 Western Region named 47's

Ooh as many as you could possibly dream of !!!

Here it is a nice coat of blue. One little boo-boo on my part is choosing D866 as I have since found out that that last little batch of Swindon built Warships had the other style of boiler exhaust/panel. Oh well something to change later when we get a 43 conversion pack sorted.

One thing that has to be sorted is the slight overhang of the body to the valence fit where the screws go in which look like a ripple in the body.

post-6766-0-22305900-1435576196.jpg

post-6766-0-95477300-1435576197.jpg

post-6766-0-41455900-1435576199.jpg

post-6766-0-15737700-1435576201.jpg

Here it is a nice coat of blue. One little boo-boo on my part is choosing D866 as I have since found out that that last little batch of Swindon built Warships had the other style of boiler exhaust/panel. Oh well something to change later when we get a 43 conversion pack sorted.

One thing that has to be sorted is the slight overhang of the body to the valence fit where the screws go in which look like a ripple in the body.

Hi Brian

Well for the first shot of it by Heljan and your paint job ,it does look good only a nice bit of weathering would really set it off

Well done mate

Cheers Gareth

Archived