Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

The Great Train Race at Steamfest, this year between 4 steam trains and 2 Tiger Moths. Since the idiots closed Newcastle station the logistics of setting it up have become complicated.

Cheers

David

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me who is responsible for the maintenance of track on the Picton-Thirlmere Loop Line and is the line owned by the state government or has it been passed to a third party.

Many have disliked the painting of the 35 class in blue but come on it's got to be better than satin/matt unlined black. As for the the shade of green on the 36, I like it. 

I didn't know that some people were outraged at the shade of green on 3830. The loco was painted an olive shade at one stage but the green livery it carries now looks good to me.

No doubt in future a green smoke box could be arranged or full black lined livery.

As for 3801 I'm not a great fan of it's green livery and loved it in gloss lined black when 3801 Ltd repainted it. To me at least it looked gorgeous in that livery. No doubt though it will be repainted in green but I'd like to see it in it's original shade if possible with green unlined cylinders as they were when first painted into green in the mid to late 1940's.

I do like the shade of blue on 4001 in fact that's about the only diesel I like never having seen them in their service days. Having worked for the railway for over 15 years I don't look upon the other diesels as "heritage" units. As for THNSW eventually getting an 80 class. I gather they must love fixing broken diesels as 80's weren't the best of diesels even when new. An 81 class repainted into original livery would be nice when their time comes to be scrapped.

The 86 class 8646 would look fantastic if repainted into it's original candy livery complete with white self adhesive numbers on the sides and ends. When they were repainted into Freightcorp blue, me and two others had to prepare them for painting at LMC or Lithgow Maintenance Centre. On the vertical louver grills on the side is a channel that collected water to prevent it being sucked into the loco. That channel had to be cleaned out with a needle gun. Over the years they'd been in service that channel had filled with dirt, brake dust and with water it had set as hard as concrete. Those locos were washed with Oxalic Acid. The acid comes from rhubarb leaves which is why you can eat the storks but not the leaves. The acid just dissolved all the brake dust and muck that ran off the locos in wet weather.  What a pity no 85 class electric locos were not allocated to THNSW. We used to wash the roofs on those after they were painted and the railways had to apply anti-slip strips as the electricians found the cleaned roofs to slippery to walk on.      

Edited by faulcon1

I have never understood why 3526 was painted blue.  Certainly a few of the 35 class were painted blue in their unrebuilt form, but I don't think 3526 was one of them.  In any case, the only colours that the rebuilt C35 class were painted in were lined green or black.  Shouldn't a museum pait a locomotive in a colour that accurately represents what it appeared like in service?  It's rather like painting a Stanier 8F or Black Five in maroon.

I didn't know that some people were outraged at the shade of green on 3830. The loco was painted an olive shade at one stage but the green livery it carries now looks good to me. No doubt in future a green smoke box could be arranged or full black lined livery.

As for 3801 I'm not a great fan of it's green livery and loved it in gloss lined black when 3801 Ltd repainted it. To me at least it looked gorgeous in that livery. No doubt though it will be repainted in green but I'd like to see it in it's original shade if possible with green unlined cylinders as they were when first painted into green in the mid to late 1940's.

The only people unhappy with the shade of green that '30 was painted had unreliable memories or badly faded/colour-shifted photos as their evidence. A lot of effort was put into accurately matching a particular shade of green that the engine had carried shortly before withdrawal, based on paint samples recovered from areas of the cladding that were protected from exposure and damage due to weathering. We used to joke that the colour was called "wrong engine green" once people started making critical comments about it.

The only reason '01 was painted black was that the incorrect shade of green was supplied by mistake, and until the correct shade was available the advice from our paint suppliers was that black would be a very suitable undercoat/base coat for the green paint. I liked the black paint because it was so much easier to make the engine look clean and presentable compared to the green.

As for repainting '01 in it's original green livery, I reckon the same comments as made above about the 35 apply. The engine has had numerous modifications since it carried that livery, so to be accurate you'd have to undo those modifications. That would include replacing the flat headlight goggle glass with domed glass, putting the superheater damper back on, putting the continuous blow-down back on, altering the location and arrangement of the regulator and superheater drains, removing the driver's side anti-glare window, and a number of other changes. Since these changes were made for practical reasons, I don't think there'd be much support for undoing them.

And in any case I would worry too much about how 3526 is painted in the future, as the asset manager at Thirlmere has stated she wants to stuff and mount the engine in the near future - same with 4001.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes I too have heard that work on the 35 has ground to a halt. I've heard that the work on the loco is about 85% complete.

When it comes to painting locos in correct colours it's only the "rivet counter enthusiasts" that quibble about the shade. The average Jo Blow of the public doesn't care what shade of colour it is as long as it looks nice and clean. With 3801 I was only suggesting omitting the yellow/buff lining on the cylinders. Although I'm aware of all the changes that have been made to the loco, the average person in the street couldn't care less. In any case they can always give it a different number from time to time like 02,03,04 and 05. They do that in the UK quite a bit these days and as a country we like to follow other countries so I can't see what the problem would be. It's only if we have to innovate that there's a problem. Yes we would all know that whatever number the loco carries that it will always be 3801. Perhaps they could do the same with 3830 if she ever runs again. They could have done it to 3526 when she carried the unlined black livery, changing her number to 3501. Yes I know that 3501 finished her service days with a commonwealth turret tender. But she was the last 35 in service and the average bloke in the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference. More often than not it's their bums that are on the seats as the enthusiasts prefer to film from the line side.

By the way when 3806 to 3830 entered service in green livery with red and buff lining they're cylinders were painted unlined black. When painted black as they all eventually were with the exception of 3813 the cylinders had red lining. I often wonder if the omitting of the lining on the cylinders when the locos were first painted green was done as an economy measure. Like the omitting of one of the yellow lining strips on coaches which was said to be an economy measure. I doubt it saved one cent.

13 has always been looked upon as an unlucky number. In the end 3813 was unlucky for she can hardly be described in her present state as being preserved. She's a sort of Clayton's 38 class. The 3813 you have when you haven't got 3813. 

Edited by faulcon1

On 30/09/2016 at 16:40, Wolseley said:

I have never understood why 3526 was painted blue.  Certainly a few of the 35 class were painted blue in their unrebuilt form, but I don't think 3526 was one of them.  In any case, the only colours that the rebuilt C35 class were painted in were lined green or black.  Shouldn't a museum pait a locomotive in a colour that accurately represents what it appeared like in service?  It's rather like painting a Stanier 8F or Black Five in maroon.

Actually 3526 did carry Caledonian blue in her original form. There was a trio of 35's specially painted blue with a silver star on the smoke box door they were, 3506, 3526 and 3535 for working the Caves Express from Sydney to Mt Victoria in 1933. The train was made up of a 6 car CUB tourist set painted blue and cream. 3526 was rebuilt into it's current form in July 1940.

A Stanier 8F was painted in LMS crimson when first restored. No. 8624. She has now been repainted black. The Midland Railway Centre at Butterley once painted a 3F Jinty in BR express passenger maroon. But later it was repainted black.

The Severn Valley Railway painted their Jinty in light blue as their "Thomas" engine.

A great pity that 1803 is only painted in blue. It would be nice if it was operational. For many children "Thomas" always steams everywhere. He isn't towed in a train unless he's been a naughty engine and has gotten himself into trouble. 

Edited by faulcon1

Actually 3526 did carry Caledonian blue in her original form. There was a trio of 35's specially painted blue with a silver star on the smoke box door they were, 3506, 3526 and 3535 for working the Caves Express from Sydney to Mt Victoria in 1933. The train was made up of a 6 car CUB tourist set painted blue and cream. 3526 was rebuilt into it's current form in July 1940.  

Somehow I had a feeling that, after posting that comment, I was wrong about 3526 never having been painted blue…..

Three C35 locomotives were painted in blue for use on the Caves Express a couple of years after they took over the running of the Caves Express from the C32s.  3506 was first to be painted blue, in July of 1933, then 3535 in September of that year, followed by 3526.  As to the star, my understanding was that it was white rather than silver and was only applied to 3506.

In addition to the regular CUB sets, a VUB set was also used for a time around this period.

To my mind the original 35 (or NN if you like) was a much better looking engine than after rebuilding (and, yes, I know there were good reasons for rebuilding the engines, but I'm sure it could have been done in a way that could have been more pleasing to the eye).

The shade of green used by NSWGR was highly variable anyway. The "correct" historical shade of green was "whatever Eveleigh mixed at the time".CheersDavid

That's arguable, but irrelevant. Numerous well-preserved paint samples were recovered from '30 early on in the restoration and accurately matched. We could then correlate the different greens to different periods of the engine's service, and make a choice of colour based on that knowledge.

Cheers,

Mark.

What we call Caledonian Blue was the colour that the engines of the Caledonian Railway appeared in. However the dark blue was expensive. It was mixed with white paint as white came free so a much lighter shade resulted. It was almost sky blue. A little like 42207 which was painted dark blue but it was said that the wrong thinners was used and the loco faded to a very light blue much to the delight of enthusiasts.

Thirlmere has another steam loco that once appeared in blue but this time for royal train working, 3616 but in her original round top firebox form. The other 36's painted blue were 3602, 3615 and 3617. Six P class was also painted Royal Blue and line in yellow and black. Still if 3616 was ever to be made operational again she could be painted in blue. After all 3642 was never painted green in her belpaire fire box service days but has been green for most of her preserved career. Why not have a colourful preserved fleet. I'm not suggesting that 3820 should be painted in candy. 

I've read that when 4201 was painted green and yellow it was not suppose to happen. Overtime had been approved to paint a 45 class but 4201 got painted instead in green and yellow including being fully lined out. A union official was threaten with dismissal. Then it was suggested that he pay the full cost of a repaint into Indian Red. Further discussions resulted in the loco being left in green and yellow but it was sent south of Moss Vale as it was seen as an embarrassment. After more discussions it was decided to allow the unit to work in general traffic and gauge the public reaction which was very positive. It was put on display at Sydney Terminal as part of the 125 celebrations and no doubt the powers that created all the fuss and bother coupled with their threats, then took all the credit. The other green diesel loco was 4836. 

Edited by faulcon1

Why not have a colourful preserved fleet.

Indeed, why not.  I do think though, that the appearance of the locomotive should be representative of the appearance of the locomotive while it was in active service, or at least representative of other members of the class in active service, if the preserving organisation purports to be a museum.  Obviously though, not all others share that view, hence the blue rebuilt 3526.

Mind you, I don't think I would want to see a preserved Standard Goods decked out in the manner that 5135 was in this photograph I took of 3046 and 5135 at Broadmeadow in May of 1970, even if it did look like that in active service:

29993954582_809c84b035_c.jpg

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 2

Well 5910 caused a few purists to moan and groan when it came out in gloss black with white walled tyres on the loco and tender.

Just reading the THNSW news section of the website and 3801's original boiler is now at Ainsworth's in Goulburn. They are going to do all the work in repairing it and I suppose if successful they may get other locos boilers.

It has been decided to suspend work on 3830 as the damage to the locos firebox is much more extensive than first thought. There line up for steam is 3642 which is operational. 3265 to be repaired to become operational. 2705 to receive an overhaul to be operational for the loop line. 3526 to continue with it's overhaul to become operational once again. 

Of course a change in direction of the operational steam locos can happen at anytime especially if the funds start to run short. 

It's extremely hard to find out info on the restoration of 3801 as she now seems to be covered by the "Operation Sovereign Boilers".

The three articles of public servants faith.

1. It's more expensive to do things cheaply.

2. It takes longer to do things quickly.

3. It's more democratic to do things in secret.

Edited by faulcon1