Heljan Class 66

Multiple identity account 2

Looks nice doesn't it ?

The Bachmann one is good enough apart from its running characteristics (in my opinion)

Market saturation here though so I doubt they'll do a OO version

Looks nice doesn't it ?

The Bachmann one is good enough apart from its running characteristics (in my opinion)

Market saturation here though so I doubt they'll do a OO version

Heljan's one certainly does look lovely. But it's the European version. I doubt they will do a OO scale one. I don't like the Bachy one anyways. Still prefer the Hornby one.

There's no one such thing as "the European version" in regards the class 66. There are detail differences for different batches but UK locos have served on mainland Europe, and vice versa though some differences do put some batches out of gauge for the UK (cab aircon enhancements for instance). By its very nature, the Heljan tooling will provide for a detail version that could be authentically painted as a UK locomotive, but they won't as the UK RTR H0 market is vanishingly small.

There's no one such thing as "the European version" in regards the class 66. There are detail differences for different batches but UK locos have served on mainland Europe, and vice versa though some differences do put some batches out of gauge for the UK (cab aircon enhancements for instance). By its very nature, the Heljan tooling will provide for a detail version that could be authentically painted as a UK locomotive, but they won't as the UK RTR H0 market is vanishingly small.

I meant that there is a difference with the headlights, aircon units etc... and with respect to the model the scale!

Heljan orginally announced a 4mm scale one around the time of bachmanns was announced (2004?) however they backed down following the announcement of the Bachmann one IIRC

Presumably they had already gone some way to researching the 66, measuring up etc so I guess this is using the data obtained then.

Interesting this goes in competion with the mehano version which is also being rereleased this year although I'm not sure if its just going to be the 5 door version.

Simon

I think if they produced an accurate 00 66 to the same specification as the proposed H0 one they might get quite a few sales as it would probably nose ahead of the Bachmann model overall. Would be a bit risky of course.

Now here's a wild thought. Perhaps they could take another swing at the 86 but in H0 learning from the mistakes of the 00 now they are getting exported to Hungary and Romania? (coat please...!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

H0 specs:

- New molds
- The only HO Class 66 with all wheels powered
- Heavy (+600 gr), higher adherence
- Metal chassis, plastic body
- 5-poles powerful motor with 2 flywheels
- Grids and fans photoetched
- thin metal handrails
- Warm white LEDs
- Available both in AC & DC
- Sound versions planned (Loksound)
- Superdetailed locomotive

Looking at the photos and the specs this seems to be a better version that the Bachmann one. A metal chassis improves the looks of a model by a lot in my opinion (Hornby class 67 anyone?) and the missing sand tubes are in Heljan version as well. I would be surprised if they don't release it in OO. May be as a special commision by a magazine?

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help with general detailing parts for Hornby Class 66's - does a parts manufacturer produce the different headlight units now seen on the various types of Class 66?

I've got a Hornby 66 in GBRF Europorte livery and, although the light clusters on this model are a bit "in between" the two main styles in the real thing, the colour is wrong (black) for the actual loco (66736) which I only discovered after purchasing the model at a show.

The rest of the livery and finish looks great so I may consider getting a few more of them if I can could change the light units, there does not seem to be much consistency in the choice of light cluster fitted across the fleet either numerically or by operator!

Edited by norfolkchinaclay

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I asked Heljan about their class 66 engine at Warley ... I'm not sure how much was lost in language but the discussion was about as dry and off-putting as I could imagine ...

- The H0 class 66 was a limited edition.

- The quantity of models made is a secret (the chap didn't say why).

- The model was not imported into the UK.

- There will be no more models (the chap didn't say why).

- The model is almost sold out, and the only place you can buy it [new] is a model shop in Germany (the chap didn't say which one)

There are a couple of Marklin-compatible models on eBay at the moment, but I haven't found a reason to go for a Heljan one over a Mehano one with a view to a repaint into a British livery. All-wheel drive sounds nice, but the Mehano one is a usefully powerful model in its own right.

I wonder if someone has the Heljan model and can tell us about it.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Informative/Useful 1

I asked Heljan about their class 66 engine at Warley ... I'm not sure how much was lost in language but the discussion was about as dry and off-putting as I could imagine ...

- The H0 class 66 was a limited edition.

- The quantity of models made is a secret (the chap didn't say why).

- The model was not imported into the UK.

- There will be no more models (the chap didn't say why).

- The model is almost sold out, and the only place you can buy it [new] is a model shop in Germany (the chap didn't say which one)...

That's a prepared script to discourage interest in this particular subject if I am any judge. We undertook a one off exclusive commission of a specified volume and that's it, all finished; no further plans being entertained.

There's some Utubery  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8O1DIxjWIQ

I'm particularly amazed at the amount of detail Heljan have added. I surely think it's the best Class 66 out there. Pity that they don't do a OO gauge British variant with that detail.

I guess you've not seen the ESU one then?

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/engineering-edition/dieselloks-in-h0/class-66-in-h0/

Still in H0 scale for the wider market, this is an absolutely amazing model. I haven't got one but a mate of mine has a couple and they're great fun to play with. I don't care for the smoke myself, I find that about as realistic as fingers on a duck but the sound and visual effects are brilliant.

The model detects when it is going around a (sharp) curve and gives flange squeal, when you slow down, not only do you get brake squeal, you also get brake block sparks!

Of course, the running and haulage capacity are first class.

I do want one!

Of course, if ESU could be persuaded to do a 4mm scale version, I'm sure it would knock spots off ANYTHING else in the UK market! But, I doubt they would enter such a volatile market.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The ESU model is superb, personally I think that for what it is the model offers better value than sound equipped Bachmann models of the 66 but that's just my opinion.

I am wondering ... are the Heljan and ESU models available only as DCC? Perhaps their market in Europe actually demands the sound and smoke effects and so on.

- Richard.