Bachmann hall

B15nac

Hmm. I ordered one yesterday from Hereford Models.

Due to their very efficient handling it arrived 9:10am this morning.

Now if only 200 were released and I've got one will it ever have rarity value if I hang on to it?

Some models with production errors (a bit like stamps) do command a certain value. You'd probably never be able to sell it on to a purist, though.

...will it always just be a kludge of two sets of parts?

Yes.

There's a bit of a difference here though. The first I was aware of the problem was the Bachmann press release on the matter, whereas there was quite a bit of to and fro here before Hornby commented on the B Set issue. Bachmann do seem to be a bit quicker off the mark to note and sort out issues like this.

Perhaps so, but timing is everything.

Hornby's mistake was spotted pretty much the instant that Hattons posted a picture of the B set. This occurred right before the Easter weekend when staff were off and official announcements understandably took time. Simon Kohler did respond privately to questions very quickly over the holiday weekend.

In contrast, Bachmann's mistake wasn't pointed out by enthusiasts observing online pictures. Unlike many Bachmann releases (this not being a 'new' model) I don't recall seeing pre-production photos provided by Bachmann, besides this catalogue photograph, where such errors might have been noticed by observant enthusiasts.

(Of course, Hornby's catalogue photograph of the B set did not contain the bogie error either.)

Just in case anyone wants to play spot the difference:

post-1819-0-65461100-1371056181.jpg

I see only two.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Perhaps so, but timing is everything.

Hornby's mistake was spotted pretty much the instant that Hattons posted a picture of the B set. This occurred right before the Easter weekend when staff were off and official announcements understandably took time. Simon Kohler did respond privately to questions very quickly over the holiday weekend.

In contrast, Bachmann's mistake wasn't pointed out by enthusiasts observing online pictures. Unlike many Bachmann releases (this not being a 'new' model) I don't recall seeing pre-production photos provided by Bachmann, besides this catalogue photograph, where such errors might have been noticed by observant enthusiasts.

(Of course, Hornby's catalogue photograph of the B set did not contain the bogie error either.)

Just in case anyone wants to play spot the difference:

attachicon.gifbachmannhalls.JPG

I see only two.

I only see one.

I also see only two (and I had to look hard...)

Kudos to Bachmann for sorting this out proactively (and in the process scoring some nice positive PR)

I probably won't buy a Hall, mainly because I have one already from some years back (was it Bachmann that made the ones that were issued a few years ago? I think so). Assuming the one that I do have can [a] pull more than the skin off a rice pudding and is adequately kitted out and finished. Although, if I do succumb it looks like I would have both Hornby and Bachmann Halls to choose from. Much as it would be nice to do a head-to-head comparison of the two brands' models, I suspect different release times and limited production will not allow for that.

Would there be any GWR/WR enthusiast on RMWeb who would get a Hall from each manufacturer???

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

I also see only two (and I had to look hard...)

Kudos to Bachmann for sorting this out proactively (and in the process scoring some nice positive PR)

I probably won't buy a Hall, mainly because I have one already from some years back (was it Bachmann that made the ones that were issued a few years ago? I think so). Assuming the one that I do have can [a] pull more than the skin off a rice pudding and is adequately kitted out and finished. Although, if I do succumb it looks like I would have both Hornby and Bachmann Halls to choose from. Much as it would be nice to do a head-to-head comparison of the two brands' models, I suspect different release times and limited production will not allow for that.

Would there be any GWR/WR enthusiast on RMWeb who would get a Hall from each manufacturer???

At present that won't be me iD - I like the past Bachmann version and it does look the business.  On the other hand what I've seen of EPs of the new Hornby one does not encourage me - it falls some way short of their 'Grange' although my big hope is that they haven't messed that up in their quest for new production methods )I'll know when mine arrive).

Good question. 

Bachmann are not offering any GWR* Halls (at present) though they were in the catalogue for some time. I have one and I have to confess that I was not keen on the lining application. Hornby's lining (in the Sanda Kan / Kader Holdings Manufacturing Services era) was better.

* As opposed to WR.

I am undecided on the new Hornby Hall in GWR livery. I'm not sure I want the Railroad lining application compromises. The most visible issue is the missing piston lining.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 weeks later...

I will be watching with interest, if the Hornby Hall is anything like the Star or the 42,52xx I will keep well away. I to think the Grange was brilliant as was the 28xx and Castle, however I was dissapointed with the 42xx and didnt touch the Star thank god. As for Bachmann I have to say yes to their's if they produce A GWR version. I have just recieved a Dukedog and a small 45xx tank love them both.

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

I will be watching with interest, if the Hornby Hall is anything like the Star or the 42,52xx I will keep well away. I to think the Grange was brilliant as was the 28xx and Castle, however I was dissapointed with the 42xx and didnt touch the Star thank god. As for Bachmann I have to say yes to their's if they produce A GWR version. I have just recieved a Dukedog and a small 45xx tank love them both.Craig.

Have you had a good look at the Star and seen it run,Craig ? Despite all that has been said of it,it's not half a bad model...in fact if you fit etched plates,which are a must,it's very good indeed.

It is priced in the same range as the Dukedog,which is a fine model,as we all agree.There is ,however,a significant difference in performance....and here,the Star is significantly better.Tweaking the Dukedog to improve is,of course,dealt with on this forum.What I am saying is....don't close your mind....have a look for yourself,if you haven't already done so.I speak as one who remembers the Stars in their twighlight years in the late 1940's and early 1950's

Have you had a good look at the Star and seen it run,Craig ? Despite all that has been said of it,it's not half a bad model...in fact if you fit etched plates,which are a must,it's very good indeed.

It is priced in the same range as the Dukedog,which is a fine model,as we all agree.There is ,however,a significant difference in performance....and here,the Star is significantly better.Tweaking the Dukedog to improve is,of course,dealt with on this forum.What I am saying is....don't close your mind....have a look for yourself,if you haven't already done so.I speak as one who remembers the Stars in their twighlight years in the late 1940's and early 1950's

Hi Ian, Thanks for your comments. I have to say no I haven't seen the star run. I am quite shure its performance is exellent eaqual to the other Hornby items mentioned which I do have. I first saw the star last summer on Hornby's display stand at Burton on Trent and was disapointed to note all of its short commings as documented by others since its release. As my previous posts are already on record in the Star thread I will leave the matter here.

Craig.

I will be watching with interest, if the Hornby Hall is anything like the Star or the 42,52xx I will keep well away. I to think the Grange was brilliant as was the 28xx and Castle, however I was dissapointed with the 42xx and didnt touch the Star thank god. As for Bachmann I have to say yes to their's if they produce A GWR version. I have just recieved a Dukedog and a small 45xx tank love them both.Craig.

The Hornby hall will be done the same way as the Duke and P2 which is a one basic body mould to cover both railroad and main range models with some added extra details and full spec paint finish. The Hall will not be in the same class as Star or 52xx etc and the Grange will look far superior.

• RMweb Premium

OK folks, I just checked my Bachy "Burton Hall" (bought from Kernow last May) and it appears to be one of the wrong 'uns. Given that I no longer have the receipt, it looks like I'm stuck with it - apart from the steam pipes (I'm pretty sure I have an old Westward white metal pair somewhere so that's not too much of a a problem), what else do I have to do to it to make a reasonable Hall, or should I hope to find a sucker customer for it on Ebay?

Any sensible advice welcome!

• RMweb Premium

Ask Bachmann if they can deal with it, as they are well aware of the error/s with these loco's they did recall them.

Phoned Bachmann, got absolutely nowhere - I was told that it was taken off the market but that it's not an actual product recall and they can't help me; it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Back to the original question - I know the steam pipes need sorting, but what else do I have to do to put things right?

I'm a modeller as opposed to a collector so "mint/boxed" isn't relevant to me, but it seriously irks me that I have to start cutting a model about that hasn't even pulled a train yet, just to correct production errors.

Phoned Bachmann, got absolutely nowhere - I was told that it was taken off the market but that it's not an actual product recall and they can't help me; it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Back to the original question - I know the steam pipes need sorting, but what else do I have to do to put things right?

I'm a modeller as opposed to a collector so "mint/boxed" isn't relevant to me, but it seriously irks me that I have to start cutting a model about that hasn't even pulled a train yet, just to correct production errors.

Well you could sell it on ebay as a rare collectors example - only one a few to escape the cutters torch (recycle bin)etc :jester:

A correction to my post above.

Bachmann are not offering any GWR* Halls (at present) though they were in the catalogue for some time.

* As opposed to WR.

Apparently there will now be one in the Shakespeare Express set with some reasonable speculation that this might be Rood Ashton Hall*.

* Also planned to be offered by Hornby in BR late crest livery.

I have a Bachmann Hall which I used for an oil fired conversion (mainly because it was a a knock down price). My other Bachmann Halls were sold on long ago due to the poor adhesion qualities and lack of a small tender version being replaced by kit built NuCast.  I have a Railroad 4901 on order. I can live with the lesser detail and lining, which can sorted quite quickly, but not poor performance. My Hornby's all appear better pullers than Bachmann's  (my son's Railroad Tornado being a significantly better performer than the more expensive/detailed Bachmann he also has). The BIg Plan does need one more first batch Hall but it will be required to haul a six coach train. The Hornby Star pulls it without any slipping, the Bachmann Hall will not. Provided the Hornby 4901 is up to the challenge, a new home awaits.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to here they would not deal with it, have a word with your local Trading Standards Office see if they can advise you a way forward explain they were withdrawn from the market.

If you want to go down the road of replacing the steam pipes put a thread up on the Modifing & detailing RTR section there plenty of members that will give you help.

I'm OK about the steam pipes, 247 do a replacement set - but what else do I need to change or add to the loco?

To be honest I'd rather have a Hall than a whole load of aggro - I'm not pleased but I didn't really expect much. I just think it might have been rather nice if Bachmann had offered to send me or even sell me (and others in a similar situation) the necessary replacement parts - assuming we're talking exclusively about separately fitted detail such as the steam pipes.

• RMweb Gold

I'm OK about the steam pipes, 247 do a replacement set - but what else do I need to change or add to the loco?

To be honest I'd rather have a Hall than a whole load of aggro - I'm not pleased but I didn't really expect much. I just think it might have been rather nice if Bachmann had offered to send me or even sell me (and others in a similar situation) the necessary replacement parts - assuming we're talking exclusively about separately fitted detail such as the steam pipes.

I'm fairly sure that Bachmann haven't got the parts - what seems to have happened is that some parts for 'Hall' were fitted to the 'Modified Hall' and vice versa and anything that was left over was sitting in a bin in a factory somewhere in China.  Bachmann simply sent back to China all the recalled locos, or rather the ones which retailers returned, with an instruction to put things right and have waited for the correct versions to reappear (no timescale given as far as I know).

And as 81C has said what you need to do is establish what parts etc are needed to make what you want to make out of what you have got - and of course what you start with might suggest what is the easiest way forward.

The only parts which appear wrong are the outside steam pipes and - I think - the blower fitting on the upper smoke box side. The fire iron tunnel and running plate are correct for a hall.

Not difficult to correct for a modeler but the idea of factory workers stripping apart the hall to correct them is scary at least.

Bachmann identified the issues with these locomotives and immediately recalled any that had been released to dealers. Others were stopped in the warehouse from being sent out. Unfortunately a number had been sent out to customers and we asked for these to be returned. All affected Modified Hall and Hall Class locomotives were returned to the factory for reworking.

In Colin's case, I have contacted our Sales Representative who covers the West of England and he has arranged for Kernow to take back the offending locomotive for a credit note or refund.

I can only apologise for the difficulties Colin experienced and for the information he was given. I trust that the matter will now be resolved to his satisfaction

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann identified the issues with these locomotives and immediately recalled any that had been released to dealers. Others were stopped in the warehouse from being sent out. Unfortunately a number had been sent out to customers and we asked for these to be returned. All affected Modified Hall and Hall Class locomotives were returned to the factory for reworking.

In Colin's case, I have contacted our Sales Representative who covers the West of England and he has arranged for Kernow to take back the offending locomotive for a credit note or refund.

I can only apologise for the difficulties Colin experienced and for the information he was given. I trust that the matter will now be resolved to his satisfaction

Can I just express my sincere thanks for this - I'll certainly be contacting Kernow over the next few days to get something sorted out.

• RMweb Premium

The only parts which appear wrong are the outside steam pipes and - I think - the blower fitting on the upper smoke box side. The fire iron tunnel and running plate are correct for a hall.

Not difficult to correct for a modeler but the idea of factory workers stripping apart the hall to correct them is scary at least.

So in this case two wrongs DO make a right. As long as your modelling skills are up to it, at least. Edited by brushman47544

• 1 month later...

I spoke to a Bachmann rep in my local model retailer today and according to him the plan for the Hall and Modified Hall models returned to China is for the bodies to be removed from the chassis and newly produced bodies of the correct spec to be manufactured and united with the returned chassis. Apparently this is more cost effective than carrying out a labour intensive parts swop. Didn't get any details of a timeframe, but it seems that the intention is to get the error resolved

• 2 months later...