The Re 6/6

Guest oldlugger

The Swiss dispensed with steam traction relatively early, having discovered the benefits of hydroelectric power.

They learned from the disruption caused by the Great War and a lack of local coal supplies :bye:

"We go logistics". English as she is spoke.

Aber Englisch ist super-cool.

Back to the matter in hand, what's the best way to tell the different 6/6 s apart from a distance? Pertinent question as I'm just recovering from a day taking photos round Wassen with temperatures at 33 degrees. Tough job but someone has to do it. 

@?!;+ these tablet touch screens are slow and awkward.

Grüezi.

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

It's was 34°C here in the south of France today and still about 29 at 8.20 this evening! Not sure how to distinguish different Re 6/6s from a distance apart from livery?

Edited by oldlugger

Back to the matter in hand, what's the best way to tell the different 6/6 s apart from a distance? 

If you mean telling the Re6/6s from the Ae6/6s, the Re6/6s have 4 bodyside windows between the cab doors, the Ae6/6s have a series of small grills and windows.

If you mean telling the Re6/6s from the Ae6/6s, the Re6/6s have 4 bodyside windows between the cab doors, the Ae6/6s have a series of small grills and windows.

And Ae 6/6 have two triple axle bogies whereas Re 6/6 have three doubles.  And they even had some with radio control which meant they became Ref 6/6, before they all got renumbered as Re 620.

I am studying for my nerd exams and I must really get out more...... :jester:  Worse, I am going to Switzerland in July with my long-suffering non-railway-interested missus :senile: 

The first two 11601 & 1602 have split bodies as it was thought this was needed to assist the passage of the locomotive through curves'/gradient changes. These fears proved to be groundless so the remainder have normal bodywork.

11601 to 11604 appeared to be for a time allocated to working passenger trains over the Gottard before the splitting of the locomotive fleet and I seem to remember 11601/2 were stored for a time so possibly their electrical equipment is/was also different from the remainder.l

post-5683-0-93450500-1371628169_thumb.jpg

post-5683-0-89734400-1371628212_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest oldlugger

Nice photos Ernie. There is an HO Swiss model manufacturer, although I can't remember the name, producing high quality brass models of the first two Re 6/6 locos with the articulated body. Not cheap as you can imagine. It's not the old Hag model, I hasten to add, which was just a vague representation of these machines, and in something approximating to OO rather than HO. I have the Roco version of the production locos (in green, naturally) and very nice it is too!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

And here's the model that I mentioned above; I think it's now available. Also, it seems that Hag are planning to produce an all new model of the prototype Re 6/6s:-

http://www.roundhouse.ch/EMB/EMB_Re-66.htm

Many continental HO manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding bodies and bogies on their models, but the wheel profiles are a different matter in the majority of cases. It would be nice to convert the Roco Re 6/6 to P87 for example.

Edited by oldlugger

As promised, a few pics from last week. Mostly, I saw them paired with a 4/4, sometimes with another 4/4 banking the train up to Göschenen. Only occasionally singly. Most were in the plain red livery, but a few in the blue/red Cargo livery. Didn't see any on passenger workings.

Wassen:

post-6971-0-41469600-1372194111.jpg

Just below Göschenen:

post-6971-0-02666700-1372194113.jpg

Just below Göschenen:
post-6971-0-72689200-1372194305.jpg

Göschenen:

post-6971-0-51449200-1372194114.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 7

• 5 years later...

Don't know how I've missed this (admittedly now 5 years old) thread before?! Some great pictures there chaps, useful to see how recently the RE 6/6 could be seen on passenger duties, very much liking the one paired with the 'Swiss Express' orange RE 4/4. Can't help but feel 10,000hp on a stopping service is a little overkill...

Kinda related, does anyone know when the AE 6/6 stopped being used on passenger services?

Ta

• Like 1

• 2 years later...