ICI Buxton (Tunstead, etc) Railways in the 1960s

ICI's Hindlow Quarry received a new Ruston & Hornsby 88DS 4wDM in 1957 to replace an Avonside 0-4-0ST and this was subsequently rebuilt with raised cab and lowered engine casing and numbered RS 2.  I only saw this loco once while under repair in the loco shed at Hindlow, so I didn't photograph it.

In April 1961 another 88DS arrived secondhand from ICI's recently closed Silvertown Works in Essex, named J.B.GANDY.  The above photo (enlarged section of a poor negative) shows it outside South Central Works soon after arrival with the Avonside 0-6-0ST, still as built and in ICI blue livery.  It received the number RS 89.

J.B.GANDY was rebuilt similar to RS 2 and is shown above working at Hindlow in 1968.

Briggs Sidings at Hindlow with J.B GANDY at the entrance to the ICI sidings and a BR loco waiting to back hoppers into the yard.  They seem to be having trouble with the point in the foreground.  Everything seems to have a generous coating of lime dust from the nearby kilns.

A rather hazy view of Hindlow Limeworks, the two road loco shed is on the left.

to be continued

Edited by PGH
  • Like 19

Yes it is.

Make that yes it was. Apparently the one right next to the road was accidentally demolished recently.

Those inside-framed skips are interesting. There used to be quite a few at the Moseley that came from there. Unfortunately they were weighed in by Northwest Water whilst in storage.

Make that yes it was. Apparently the one right next to the road was accidentally demolished recently.

Unless there has been some further developments since 2011 that demolition was no accident, further details here:

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=4028&pid=1&txtSearch=cowdale&lblnWhere=all&lblnMatch=any

and photos of the buildings here:

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/album/Ashwood-Dale-Limestone-Quarry-User-Album/

There are traces of the same building style in my photo of the ruins at Great Rocks Quarry (Post #2)

Later diesel locos were not rebuilt

WALLACE AKERS a Yorkshire Engine Co. 235hp 0-4-0DE, named after a former ICI director, was supplied new to Winnington Works in 1956 and transferred to Tunstead about January 1967.  It is seen here at South Central Workshops in July 1967.

It went to the Peak Railway Society in 1982 and was photographed at Buxton in October 1983.

Ruston & Hornsby 395305 a 165DS 0-4-0DM was transferred from ICI's Weston Point Works in Runcorn to Smalldale circa 1966 and replaced the Motor Rail Simplex locos RS 12 and RS 9

View from Peak Forest station overbridge in October 1983 by which date all the ICI track had been lifted.

The former line to Holderness Quarry had been cut back to Peakstone Ltd's hopper in left distance and just visible in front is their yellow ex BR 07001 0-6-0DE. 

Edited by PGH
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi PGH. I have only just come accross this thread and seen your wonderful photos. I'm just about to do a model very much based on the Buxton Central Lime Kilns which I remember very well from my youth. If you have any more photos of this structure I should be very grateful if you would post them. There are a couple of things that have intrigued me about this structure. One is were they fueled by coal or oil during the late fifties (converted from coal perhaps earlier) and the other is the purpose of the gantry arrangement which could be swung out at rightangles to the kiln or kept alongside it when not in use. Would you have any ideas? Best regards Nick

On 05/10/2013 at 14:50, Captain Nick said:

Hi PGH. I have only just come accross this thread and seen your wonderful photos. I'm just about to do a model very much based on the Buxton Central Lime Kilns which I remember very well from my youth. If you have any more photos of this structure I should be very grateful if you would post them. There are a couple of things that have intrigued me about this structure. One is were they fueled by coal or oil during the late fifties (converted from coal perhaps earlier) and the other is the purpose of the gantry arrangement which could be swung out at rightangles to the kiln or kept alongside it when not in use. Would you have any ideas? Best regards Nick

This is from the history of Buxton Lime on the Tarmac Ltd website:

(During the Second World War) Many of the old kilns the company operated were closed down as it proved impossible to get them to conform to the blackout regulations, although two kilns at Buxton Central Quarry were fitted with closed tops which also had the effect of increasing the production rate.

but it doesn't help with the method of firing.  I would guess that they were coal fired, same as the kilns at Tunstead which were coal fired until converted to gas firing in the 1970s, but see the note below regarding the gantry arrangement.

I have a few more photos showing the kilns, unfortunately of rather poor quality:  

Taken in 1961 showing the kilns still in use with wagons in the sidings and the Simplex loco visible just to the right of the elevated weighbridge cabin

In 1963 after closure of the kilns

An enlargement from the previous photo

I can't help with the gantry arrangement, although it seems to be connected to a pipe or something extending over the top of the kilns.  If the kilns were actually oil fired I suppose it might be an oil delivery arrangement ????

I have a track plan of the sidings, if that's any help.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 6

Hi PGH. Thanks for posting those photos, none of which I have seen before. I have read the piece on the Tarmac web site but it seemed inconclusive regarding these kilns which have obviously been changed and modified throughout their working lives.  I have a few photos taken of this plant, those mainly being E R Morten copyright, (his son was my science teacher  1960-63), however they don't answer the mystery of the gantry. Also missing from photos are coal waggons but there again, so are the oil tankers. There does seem to be a tank arrangement between the inner two upper kilns which is connected to the gantry pipework. My late father, a former Allsop Moor quarryman, was the areas (GMWU) union branch secretary from 1947 to 1963 and frequently visited all the local quarries as the majority of quarrymen were members, so I guess he would have known. As for the closed tops, there is photographic evidence that these were closed off well before 1939, possibly as early as 1934. Many thanks for the photos and information. I would be interested to see the track plan.  Best regards Nick

Mornin' all,

For those, like me, who enjoy seeing period views of a particular area grouped together, why not have a look at these Wallace Sutherland images of the Peak District (and surroundings)

http://www.sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/ws-002.html

They mesh very nicely with this great set of pictures.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi PGH

Have only just come across this thread but wanted to express my appreciation of the pictures and descriptions in this posting. They are so interesting.

I lived in Derby when I was young (late 50s and early 60s) and was often taken to to the Buxton area and I was always fascinated by the quarrying operations. I am currently engaged on building a model loosely (very!) based on Wirksworth and the C&HP but using elements and, hopefully, atmosphere from the Buxton area.

Thanks again for the posting. (If there is any more it would be most welcome).

Those Peak District photos also brought back many memories - Thanks to Dave for that link also.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I must second all the appreciative comments on here, chaps!

A wonderful thread that brings back many memories for me of an area I love very much.

My own childhood memories going back a long way when I lived in/near Windley were of hearing all the quarry machines working away, my parents told me these were Euclid's - what an evocative name! Later, of course I realised these would have been working near the Wirksworth quarries but we did take trips further north to the Buxton area and even to the 'Blue John' mine as my dad was an alabaster baubler until the late '60's/early '70's.

I come from a quite long line of such workers but missed my vocation as what stone was available in my later childhood was unsuitable for turning due to changed methods of quarrying, more powerful explosive giving many fracture lines in the stone!

Cheers,

John Edge.

• 5 months later...

Hi PGH,

Thank you for your photographs, which have been an inspiration.

The Clay Cross Model Railway Society has been building an exhibition layout based on Hindlow Station and featuring Beswick's Limeworks round about the late 40s, and early 50s. Whilst there is still some work remaining, it had its first outing to the Soar Valley Model Railway Society's exhibition on 6th and 7th Sept.

I have attached some photos below.

In particular, we have not been able to find a photo of the lift cage in the open shaft. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Louis Heath

post-740-0-22601600-1410719818_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-60899000-1410719869_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-68414100-1410719899_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-30273500-1410720022_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-08553300-1410720646_thumb.jpg

• Like 16