Dalry Park for Tynecastle Stadium

edin_bry2x

Hi Guys

Well i havent done any real modelling for quite some time and this will be my first layout ever so i figured having a time limit or target to aim for was a great idea to kick start me, i have an idea of what i want to do just need to set up a paper template the boards and play with the trackplan. Because this is my first layout i will stick with OO gauge track although would like to delve into EM in the future.

Basically the layout will be a former 2-track through station on a route which has been curtailed so it is now a single facing terminus with the other platform face still present but in an unused and derelict state. There will be a three track goods yard which has had one siding recently upgraded with hard standing. The layout will be in an urban setting (im thinking west end of Edinburgh, Gorgie area with some lovely tenements as the backdrop) with a tunnel to the off scene area and at the other end of the layout another tunnel but this is purely scenic and disused with no track in it.

The off scene area will be purely a single track casette ( although i will build around 4 of these ). I hope i have sized this up properly bynthinking that i can have 9ft by 1.5ft scenic area and 1in by 66in casette, if my calculations are correct that is the entire 2010 sq inches (fingers crossed).

Working with the stock i have the layout will operate in any time period from 1985 to 1993 on the ScotRail network with passenger services using anything from a Type 1 + Load 3 or 4 to 1st or 2nd gen multiple units, maybe some 37s and 47s could make a turn on the passengers too. Freight will be in the hands of 20,26,27,37 and 47 with mostly van and open traffic but some grain and coal too.

Once i finalise the track plan i will post it

Cheers for reading and if you have any questions feel free to ask

Bry Shaw

Basically the layout will be a former 2-track through station on a route which has been curtailed so it is now a single facing terminus with the other platform face still present but in an unused and derelict state. There will be a three track goods yard which has had one siding recently upgraded with hard standing. The layout will be in an urban setting (im thinking west end of Edinburgh, Gorgie area with some lovely tenements as the backdrop) with a tunnel to the off scene area and at the other end of the layout another tunnel but this is purely scenic and disused with no track in it.

Sounds terribly familiar (ref:Quintland) :D :D

But that doesn't matter - it is bound to develop differently - will look forward to the way it develops with interest.

At least you will never see a 37 on mine ;)

Sounds terribly familiar (ref:Quintland) :D :D

But that doesn't matter - it is bound to develop differently - will look forward to the way it develops with interest.

At least you will never see a 37 on mine ;)

Hi Kenton

Just read your thread now, they do sound kinda similar i guess its all in the atmosphere that is added, but the layout of the track that i have in my head is alot different from your plan. The layout will only stay in this form for the competition with a 3ft scenic extension onto both ends and a 5ft traverser added at a later date. The idea of a casette means i could get away with only using 66 inches sq as off-scenic area as a temp measure.

Sorry for any likeness it was just purely coincedence, ive been looking at afew pics of the old disused stations on 'the sub' in edinburgh which was where the idea for the second platform face being disused came from. I think i like the idea of the old being mixed with new in the form of old disused infrastructure being intermixed with an 80s Scotrail re-furbished station and new hard standing in an old freight yard with some of the original yard buildings still in use.

cant wait to get the trackplan sorted and get down to the cutting of timber.

Bry

Sorry for any likeness it was just purely coincidence

No apology required - just having a smile :) at the coincidence.

I've drifted away from the disused platform idea back to the in use but decrepit idea.

But I guess you would echo my call for a Scalescenes (or similar) tenement?

No apology required - just having a smile :) at the coincidence.

I've drifted away from the disused platform idea back to the in use but decrepit idea.

But I guess you would echo my call for a Scalescenes (or similar) tenement?

i will probably just scratch build my tenements or maybe use some sort of resin casting, im back up in edinburgh next month so will take a day out for a few prototype pis of the tenements in gorgie and a few of the old station remnants on the sub, i will base my goods yard buildings on the prototypes that were at the original Musselburgh railway station although i am still undecided about the station buildings, i have few ideas floating around but nothing concrete yet.

bry

Today has been quite a good day, i have not only managed to source some cheap second hand but unused code 75 points and flexi track from a friend in Derby but he also sold me his old Lenz Compact DCC unit with a transformer and a hand controller for ??50 all-in. My new Bachy class 47 arrived in the form of 47541 'The Queen Mother' and 3 of the Heljan CargoWaggon flats :D

I have almost settled on a track plan i just have to dig out an 08, 20, 25, 26, 37 and a couple of wagons and Mk1s and Mk2s to check clearances.

Then it is onto the local Timber Merchants for some important supplies, the only part of this experience that i am apprehensive about and really not looking forward too is the wiring of the track but hopefully DCC will make this a wee bit more simple.

Trackplan will be scanned in tomorrow evening.

cheers for reading

Bry

I have now played around with the track plan and decided that 2010 sq inches is a massive amount of space for a small layout :D . Having said that because i want to run a load 4 passenger train to the station i didnt want it to overtake the layout so i went for length. By stretching out to 9ft i had to narrow the layout to 1.5ft this was alot narrower than i had imagined so i have taken one of the sidings out leaving 2 but i think that will suffice, both sidings can hold either 2 of the Heljan CargoWaggon flats or 3 Bachy VGAs. This takes the number of points on the layout down to the magic number of 5.

I was quite pleased that i had enough room in the headshunt at the end of the 'in use' platform to take a pair of choppers, this works out well because i had an idea of running the freight into the derelict platform face with the train engines running light off scene to Haymarket or Millerhill and a shunter doing the work in the sidings. This means i can model a couple of the Haymarket celeb Gronks :D .

Found a good picture of the station footbridge at craiglockhart station which i think i will use as ive never seen a prototype like it before, it should make i nice little project. I wonder if it is still there?

I have taken a couple of pics of the Mock up with stock and points arranged so that it gives an impression of the layout, i shall post them tonight when my significant other gets them off her digi camera as the software is on her laptop.

cheers for reading

Bry

Found a good picture of the station footbridge at craiglockhart station which i think i will use as ive never seen a prototype like it before, it should make i nice little project. I wonder if it is still there?

I know the station at Craiglockhart is long gone but google earth shows what looks like one side of the footbridge still in existence (possibly used by Network rail as access steps to the trackside?)

post-7040-12632970559199_thumb.jpg

There's a nice vintage photo of the station here : http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin_t/1_edinburgh_transport_railways_rce120a_craiglockhart.htm

And as it is now : http://merlinsphotos.fotopic.net/p22695980.html

Andy B)

I know the station at Craiglockhart is long gone but google earth shows what looks like one side of the footbridge still in existence (possibly used by Network rail as access steps to the trackside?)

post-7040-12632970559199_thumb.jpg

There's a nice vintage photo of the station here : http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin_t/1_edinburgh_transport_railways_rce120a_craiglockhart.htm

And as it is now : http://merlinsphotos.fotopic.net/p22695980.html

Andy B)

cheers for those links Andy, the first link is handy because it means i dont have to rake through books to find it again :rolleyes: i have another picture from older book which was taken from the other platform so it gives me both vantagepoints now.

ive been trying to find a picture of the road side of the station building at Morningside

cheers bry

I am currently having issues with the scanner/printer as its too clever for its own good and wont work till i refill the ink that needs replaced even though i just want to scan??? so in the mean time here are the pics that i took this morning of the mock up whilst i was trying out stock fitting and arranging pointwork around where framework will be located.

The timber is now ordered and being delivered on thursday, so i hope to have pictures of the completed boards by the start of next week :D

post-3864-12633113056117_thumb.jpg

This picture gives the overall idea of what im trying to achieve with the 4 Mk1s sitting in the active platform, the run-round loop from the headshunt (where the 2 choppers are sat) passes through the disused platform face. The other side of the disused platform is the 2 track freight sidings and at the bottom is the small siding beside the signal box where the Gronk will be stabled between duties.

post-3864-12633113575875_thumb.jpg

Another view showing the Gronk siding that will stretch into the very start of the tunnel with a nice atmospheric red light above the buffer stops illuminating the tunnel slightly.

once again any questions or suggestions are most welcome

bry

I had a rather productive day, completed both of the scenic baseboards and the supporting legs. I will post pictures tomorrow once i have drilled the boltholes to attach the legs to the baseboards and sort out the dowels for connecting the two baseboards. :D

Bry

Progress has halted slightly till tomorrow as i cannot find the coach bolts that i had purchased?? i have the wing nuts and washers but sadly no bolts so i will pop to the shops tomorrow and get some more :angry:

Have to say im a wee bit dissmayed because things were motoring along nicely. As far as the baseboards go, im by no means a skilled woodsman lol but i seem to have done an alright job as all the bpards are at least square and level :D

Hopefully should have something more productive to show tomorrow.

cheers

Bry

Just thought id put up some pictures of the completed baseboards, now that i have more bolts, and guess what i found the old ones too! :D

This picture shows where the track will be laid.

post-3864-12640749959268_thumb.jpg

Completed boards with the legs.

post-3864-1264075044556_thumb.jpg

Cork laid.

post-3864-12640750846099_thumb.jpg

The next job now is to drill the holes for the point motors and start soldering droppers for the track feeds.

cheers for reading

Bry Shaw

Well as promised i have got new ink cartridges for the printer/scanner so here is a rough sketch of the track plan

post-3864-12640811492852_thumb.jpg

Because of timescales and space requirements i may now use a low relief representation of the McEwans Fountain Brewery as the backdrop for the layout. This will be much simpler and quicker to scratchbuild than the terrace building but these will still be done on the post competition scenic extensions that i want to add on to either end of the layout.

cheers

Bry

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

the last couple of days have been spent respacing the sleepers on 6 yards of code 75 track as well as splicing 2 points to narrow the gap between the two running lines to a more realistic '6feet'.

will get pics up at the weekend

Bry

Looking good Bry - I like the simplicity and the sense of space on your "bare boards" pics, and the idea of modelling a derelict platform. The 26 and VDAs look at home!

Would like to see the pointwork when you've got that done.

Keep at it!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the works, First trains have run and a representative from each of the classes to be used (08,20,26,27,37 and 47) have made an appearance to check the modified pointwork as well as some bogie and 4-wheel wagons. After some tweaking all items run very comfortably :D .

The next job to be tackled hopefully tonight will be to fit the Tortoise point motors before deciding whether i need to either remove or loosen the spring on the peco points, any advice on this subject is most appreciated.

im having some problems uploading the pics that i have taken but i will try again tonight.

thanks for looking

Bry

Well as promised the pics from the testing day that i had, it was rather nice to just stand a play trains for an hour :D i also dug out some other stock so that i can run 1986-88 or 1992-94.

Overview of the layout with track laying complete, im glad i wasnt tempted to pop another siding in as it just seems like the right amount of trackwork not too cluttered.

post-3864-126702958959_thumb.jpg

Moving forward to the '92-'94 period.

post-3864-12670294679_thumb.jpg

Units take over from the loco-hauled trains.

post-3864-126702954989_thumb.jpg

Just playing around now, the layout will never see this amount of locos at once.

post-3864-126702963628_thumb.jpg

post-3864-126702950812_thumb.jpg

cheers for looking

Bry

post-3864-12670296837_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

A heavy workload of assignments for University and some major family issues over the last month or so have slowed progress slightly but i have been painting the rail sides and hope to complete ballasting and have the hard standing area complete by the of the Easter break.

Does anyone have any recommendations for platform edging? i need both brick sides for the original platforms and modern concrete sides for the more modern platform extension.

cheers in advance

Bry

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who is following the rather protracted (so far) construction of my layout the first board has been ballasted as the pics below show, tonight i will be ballasting the second board before breaking out the Das modelling clay to do the hard standing area tomorrow.

This has been my first attempt at ballasting track and i must say that im very happy with the results, once the rest of the ballasting and the hard standing area is completed then i will start weathering the track especially around the points, gronk stabling siding and the platform ends.

post-3864-127133839628_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127133844685_thumb.jpg

cheers for looking

Bry

• RMweb Gold

Bry - looking good so far! smile.gif

Can I just ask about the track in your latest pics - the sleeper spacing seems wider than normal Peco code 75 and looks a lot better! Have you re-spaced it or is it a different make?

Archived