Archers rivet transfers

Hi Neil,

I use them all the time and I wouldn't do rivets any other way now. They come ready spaced, in a wide range of sizes and they also do things like tread plate textures, weld lines, louvres and a whole host of other stuff. They are used in exactly the same way as regular transfers and are best put on after the first coat of primer and with a light waft of gloss acrylic to help adhesion. Lots of decal setting solution and another coat of primer on top. Great stuff - recomended! I bought the starter set that has loads of interesting stuff on it and in 4mm scale looks like it might last a while.

Just a satisfied customer, usual disclaimer, etc...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

As an adjunct to this has anyone tried different types of glue to the 'pva on a pin' trick to make rivets (I've not had much luck with this). I have a few rivet heads to represent which doesn't justify the expense of a sheet of Archers and cannot be formed using my (home made) rivet press.

I note that Archers sheets seem to consist of blobs of resin on a backing paper, so was wondering if it was worth experimenting with different (thicker) glues than pva to form rivet heads - the thick superglues maybe?

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Has anyone used these before? I've only just heard about them an was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are a good product?

Cheers Neil

Hi Neil.

I've used them to add detail to water tower on my current project. I found them very easy to work with but I would recommend the use of a decal setting agent (Microsol/set for example) to ensure the carrier film does not show once painted. They are certianly worth the cost if you are looking to add a little extra realism and depth to a model.

01JUN12-002.jpg

CU0J0222.jpg

Tom.

Thanks for the replys I'm going to order some as they sound good! Castle the starter set you bought was the item number AR88001?

Cheers Neil

Hi Neil,

I am out at the moment but will check when I get home for you!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise that this product was about, it looks great. So for rivets on a loco's running plate, what size would be best? As I am contemplating upgrading a few locos and this product certainly looks worth a try. 

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise that this product was about, it looks great. So for rivets on a loco's running plate, what size would be best? As I am contemplating upgrading a few locos and this product certainly looks worth a try. 

Regards,

Nick

If you pick the bones out of this page then it will tell you the relative dimensions.

http://www.archertransfers.com/PAGE_CatalogDL.html

Mike.

Hi All,

The ones I have are the Micro Mark version of the Archers transfers. The set number is #84985 - HO Scale. The photograph shows an untouched corner of the sheet and this is replicated 4 times across the whole thing. It has different spacings of straight lines of rivets, circular arrays of rivets, square tread plate type stuff and louvres of differing flavours!

post-14393-0-19640800-1372185629_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Castle 

Did you get Decal sheet from a uk supplier Ive tried googling them but can only find USofA suppliers. They look very interesting I checked Archer rivets as everyone recomends them, but I'm unsure as to what sheets to order from them Whereas yours seem ideal Cheers Simon

Hi All,

Mine came from a reasonably local model shop:

http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/

They got a batch in on a personal request / recomendation from myself (how good a service is that?!) but they don't seem to be on their website at the moment. If you give them a call (Thursday, Friday or Saturday is best) they will be able to confirm or deny their continued involvement in these things. The website only shows what they have in stock so they may be out at the moment.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived