SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

Here is a nice collection of articles in the blog with Information and advices about baseboards in SCARM.

The list includes posts about how to create baseboard with holes and openings (this is also descried above in the thread), how to represent the support structures and frames, how to split the workbench in several modules, how to create baseboard shapes with rounded corners and more.

I hope that the info will be useful ;)

Mixy

Hello, I use Anyrail for my track planning and would like to see how it looks in full model form. 

I've used the odd shoe box or cereal packet but that still doesn't do it for me.

I notice that Hugh Flynn often shows a front elevation when he draws some plans but ideally something 3-D would be best, hence me finding this blog.

Looking briefly at some of the examples they do seem to be a little "toy-ish" in their drawing but if anyone knows differently or can suggest another option I'd be grateful.

Probably means I should just go ahead and finish building it.

Regards

Hi Barnaby

Glad you have found this topic on SCARM.  Do let us know how you get on with it

I have used various planning software (TRAX, WinRail, AnyRail and XtrkCad) I even have Templot installed, but then I think my 3 year old probably is not too fussed by realistic scale track, he just wants to play trains!!

I am using SCARM to plan my layout for several reasons, firstly I like it, secondly it has a 3D view (great for multi level layout planning) and thirdly it is free!  Also, it is still in Beta version, so I enjoy new tools and features being added as time progresses.  The author (Mixy) of the program is pretty good at solving bugs and responding to requests for new features; track plan image import being a recent new feature.

I sort of agree with you on the "toy-ish" look, but I prefer to think of it as a tool to helping realise layout ideas without too much effort being wasted on very fine 3D render and top notch scenery / buildings etc.  If I wanted to only every use the PC to play trains and have very realistic scenery etc. then I would probably go down the route of MS Train Simulator of Trainz.  But we are in the world of actually creating a model railway layout and that needs various tools to help with the planning process; pen and paper included.  So for me the boxyness of it is part of the course.

I am hoping that future release will include some form of enhanced library for scenery items especially ones create by other users and one scenery feature I would love to see is a re-scale tool such that an N gauge object (i.e a buildings) can be scaled up to down to other gauges.

Look forward to seeing you progress here.

Paul

Edited by Jaggzuk

My salutations to Paul, Mixy and all Scarm users,

I am new on this forum (and web site).

I began to use Scarm one month ago, when I found remaining pieces from two dismantled layouts (9 engines, 35 cars, 130 feet of tracks and 14 turnouts- 7 left + 7 right) for less than 1/10 th of the estimated value.

Lots of repairs, cleanings, ajustments to do, of course. But newly retired, I don't care with spending time on taking... "care" of some sadly neglected pieces.

I agree with Paul for the reasons to like SCARM. More, perhaps, because I was able to look in the scarm files, and try to understand how it worked.

The 2 objects I tried to find (or create) were cylinder (for steam locomotive) and diagonal vertical lines (for several different objects as bridges sides, water tanks supports, etc.)

I'm not a programmer. But by deductions, tries and errors leaned me (hardly) to a first result for the trunk of a steam locomotive. Here a snapshot (I don't know yet how to join a file to this post)

Mixy, do you think it would be possible to add to the graphics volumes a cylinder ?

Anyway, I enjoy  Scarm several hours a day. Thanks for this.

Best regards
Beve

The 2 objects I tried to find (or create) were cylinder (for steam locomotive) and diagonal vertical lines (for several different objects as bridges sides, water tanks supports, etc.)

I'm not a programmer. But by deductions, tries and errors leaned me (hardly) to a first result for the trunk of a steam locomotive. Here a snapshot (I don't know yet how to join a file to this post)

Hi Beve

Firstly welcome to RMWeb, I hope you find this forum a great place to hang out and friendly.  There is much to read and see and it is a great place for all things model railway (and prototype too).

As to your comments on cylinders, I too hope for a bit more flexibility on Object creation in future release.  But in the meantime I have had a play to see how cylinders could be created and come up with the an embryonic steam loco.  Ok very 'toy' like I know but at the end of the day as long as it has the form and size of a steam loco, then it is an aid to planning a SCARM track plan.  After all we are after the look and feel of a layout and not the creation of fantastic 3D imagery;  MS Train Simulator can be used for that.

Paste the following in to a new SCARM file (using notepad) and then open in SCARM.

# SCARM Project File

V=0.9.23 beta

TStraightRail|ST-201|ST-201|335
  RM|16.5|76|1|2.5|28|2|2.75|0|Peco|OO|0;0;-1;0|0
  SP|20|-24|90|0

#Chimney
  TFigAcc|2|30|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[20;140][4;0]|1|1|1|10|15|0|0|0|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[20;140][4;0]|1|1|1|10|15|0|0|0|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Boiler
  TFigAcc|2|30|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|clgreen|0|0|0|[20;40][12;0]|1|1|1|5|110|90|0|0|clgreen|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|clgreen|0|0|0|[20;40][12;0]|1|1|1|5|110|90|0|0|clgreen|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Wheel
  TFigAcc|2|14|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[30;140][7;0]|1|1|1|0|2|90|0|90|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[30;140][7;0]|1|0|1|0|2|90|0|90|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Chassis

TFigRect||||20;80;14|160;35;5|90|8421504|0|0|0

#Cab
  TFigRect||||20;25;14|32;44;40|0|32768|0|0|0

Thanks Paul.

I'll give it another go by drawing my layout with it and test that out.  It will be good if larger scenic libraries are forth coming too.

Regards

Barnaby, Do give it another go.  Like with all things software takes a bit of getting used to but I am sure your efforts will be worth sharing.

Paul

Hi Mixy

I was wondering if you know of a way (hopefully easy) to be able to scale scenic objects up of down between scales?  Such that for a any object drawn in for example Z gauge they can be scaled up to say a OO?

It is just that there are now some fantastic objects being drawn but not in the scale I am creating my plan for.

Cheers Paul

I hope that the design effort doesn't move too much into 'cosmetics' - this is not a railway simulator and I'd prefer to see more improvements to the program's useability as a track design aid.

I still find reverse curves with flexible track quite tricky.  For example, I find that a simple reverse curve made up of fixed sections is quite hard to replace with flexitrack between two fixed points.

post-19820-0-10340700-1391296794.jpg

I would also find it useful to be able to check clearances as a long bogie vehicle is moved along a curved section.

mike

Edited by MikeOxon

Hi Mike

From your screen shot it looks like you have used ST-221(R1) curves to set the separation between the two straight pieces, then tried to fill the gap with Flex track?  As these were very tight radii curves to start with so the tolerance of the location of the end of your first curve would be very tight and if out, could easily cause a miss-connection for your second curve.  It looks like the first curve (left hand one) had both a very slightly greater radii and angle than the set track pieces therefore making it impossible to connect the second within SCARM minimum tolerances.  If your gap between the two straight pieces was larger either in the X or Y directions  you would find the tolerance decrease and you would get a fit.

Have you watched the two tutorials on using Flex which may help out.

http://www.scarm.info/blog/basic-stuff/scarm-video-tutorials-part-7-use-flex-rail-to-close-a-gap/

http://www.scarm.info/blog/basic-stuff/scarm-video-tutorials-part-8-use-flex-tracks-to-create-large-layouts/

Another way which you might find helpful when creating reverse curves is rather than trying to do it with just one piece of flex track, is to start from both ends you are trying to connect to, such that you have two separate flex curves.  

First create two curves in roughly the right position; radius and angle.  The select one curve and use Reshape from the context menu to fine tune your shape.  Once you have one piece set you can then Reshape the other piece and make the connection with the auto connect feature; track ends turn to red/green.  You may find that SCARM then uses a mixture of radius and straight to make the actual connection.  

gallery_4412_2706_10505.jpg

Using Reshape to connect two seperate flex curves into one reverse curve

gallery_4412_2706_25663.jpg

Reverse flex curve auto connected

gallery_4412_2706_16696.jpg

SCARM uses a mixture of straight and radii to create the final reverse curve

If you want to adjust the radii without connecting them straight away, you can use right mouse click once you have finished moving the flex track.  Do this inclemently for each piece as close to the right position as you can before allowing auto connection to take over.  If you use left mouse click you will add another section of flex track, which may be useful if you want to add another radii in to the mix.

Note: you can also set the minimum radii for flex tracks from the Tools/Settings menu.  On the Edit tab change the drop down "Minimum Radius for curves" to User Defined and then set an appropriate radius value 

Hope this is of help.

Paul

Many thanks for your detailed reply, Paul.

I encountered this situation as a real problem when I was trying to incorporate a three-way point into an existing layout - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73339-scarm-layout-design-software-with-3d-–-all-users-topic/?p=1155042

I solved it in the end but it involved a lot of trial and error. As the video tutorial shows, the software needs 'help' when creating reverse curves.

My suggestion is that, to make the software even easier to use and more versatile, it would be good to put some programming effort into making this process more 'intuitive'.  This might involve some iterative solving technique to be built into the program.

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon

Hi Beve

Firstly welcome to RMWeb, I hope you find this forum a great place to hang out and friendly.  There is much to read and see and it is a great place for all things model railway (and prototype too).

As to your comments on cylinders, I too hope for a bit more flexibility on Object creation in future release.  But in the meantime I have had a play to see how cylinders could be created and come up with the an embryonic steam loco.  Ok very 'toy' like I know but at the end of the day as long as it has the form and size of a steam loco, then it is an aid to planning a SCARM track plan.  After all we are after the look and feel of a layout and not the creation of fantastic 3D imagery;  MS Train Simulator can be used for that.

Paste the following in to a new SCARM file (using notepad) and then open in SCARM.

# SCARM Project File

V=0.9.23 beta

TStraightRail|ST-201|ST-201|335
  RM|16.5|76|1|2.5|28|2|2.75|0|Peco|OO|0;0;-1;0|0
  SP|20|-24|90|0

#Chimney
  TFigAcc|2|30|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[20;140][4;0]|1|1|1|10|15|0|0|0|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[20;140][4;0]|1|1|1|10|15|0|0|0|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Boiler
  TFigAcc|2|30|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|clgreen|0|0|0|[20;40][12;0]|1|1|1|5|110|90|0|0|clgreen|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|clgreen|0|0|0|[20;40][12;0]|1|1|1|5|110|90|0|0|clgreen|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Wheel
  TFigAcc|2|14|0
    TRailAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[30;140][7;0]|1|1|1|0|2|90|0|90|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
      TSubAccessoryCircle|Chimney||1|clBlack|2697513|0|0|0|[30;140][7;0]|1|0|1|0|2|90|0|90|2697513|0|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0|0|0
  &AccDefsEnd

#Chassis

TFigRect||||20;80;14|160;35;5|90|8421504|0|0|0

#Cab
  TFigRect||||20;25;14|32;44;40|0|32768|0|0|0

Thanks for the sample, it is enough for me, because the layout representations possibilities are the most important interest of this application to me.

I go on use SCARM for my layout project : This is the 9th version... :scratchhead: (6 ' x 7' with a 24"x22" hole in the middle, 4 branches yard, inner circuit on lower level, (a locomotive station is to conceive, probably a transfer table), a central ramp to climb to 5 " height upper external circuit. I 'll have to decide where to place the destination points for the different cars. Of course, the layout could have to be modified...

Best regards

Beve

Good evening,

I think I would show what my layout begins to look like :senile: . So I took a print screen of the drawing(sorry for the bad quality), and a few shots of the 3D view :

Beve V9

Beve V9 3D01

Beve V9 3D02

Beve V9 3D03

Edited by beve

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a nice collection of fast tips and hints, that may be useful in your daily work with SCARM: All Quick Tips in SCARM ;)

@beve: I am not sure, but the tracks on the screenshots are looking as all are placed in "Tunnel" mode. You can check this by select all (Ctrl+A) and then press and depress the "Tunnel" button in the Toolbar.

Mixy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I get on really well with Scarm and think the rail tunnel facility is super in 3D.

What I would like to be able to do is to tunnel under the track for a road or river, which are obviously drawn as polygons minus height relative to the track.

Is there any way to do this presently or can I please add it to the wishlist.

Thanks Rob

Can I also add two wishlist features:

1. When a length of flex track is selected it would be useful if at the bottom in the status bar its length was displayed rather than the max length of that sort of flex track,. 

2. Custom lists of track pieces. I am using two types of track and switching between them can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes. 

Thanks again and keep up the good work 

• Like 1

Hi guys

I get on really well with Scarm and think the rail tunnel facility is super in 3D.

What I would like to be able to do is to tunnel under the track for a road or river, which are obviously drawn as polygons minus height relative to the track.

Thanks Rob

One option is to set your track height at say 100 mm.  This then lets you go up or down and place roads, etc under the track.  If you select all the track by double clicking on it then adjust the height of one join and then press enter it will change it all to that height.

@RAFHAAA96: Jon_1066 already proposed the right solution. You can read more about this here: How To Create Tunnel Under The Base Level in SCARM.

@sub39h: Both suggestions will be added to the next release of SCARM :) You can check the length of selected flex track in current version by using of "Tools" > "Length of Selected section" menu item.

Mixy

Hi guys

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob

There was a new release out yesterday, which includes a new roads feature.  With this you can now add complex roads networks over and under track using the normal tunnel and bridge track tools.  You can also customise the roads with various road markings and also apply gradients.  See http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-24-released/ for more info.

gallery_4412_2706_42900.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rob

There was a new release out yesterday, which includes a new roads feature.  With this you can now add complex roads networks over and under track using the normal tunnel and bridge track tools.  You can also customise the roads with various road markings and also apply gradients.  See http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-24-released/ for more info.

That is exactly what I am looking for. The roads feature is an absolute bonus.

Many thanks for the quick turnaround on this request.

Rob