SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

• 3 weeks later...

The new SCARM v. 0.9.35 is ready and published! It comes with many new and updated track libraries, many bugfixes and more powerful Model Trains Simulator extension. See more about the new version here:

SCARM Track Planning Software 0.9.35 Released

SCARM_0_9_35_Updated-sm.jpg

With the new release there is also coming a new database with Virtual Rolling Stock for use in the MTS PE extension.

SCARM_Train_Simulator_Rolling_Stock-355x

Some British models are on the way and will appear soon there :)

Hope you will like all new stuff about SCARM ;)

Mixy

Edited by Mixy
  • Like 1

Will Version 1 still be free?

Is there any possibility of making the 3D view work in Linux, using Wine? It almost works with simple plans. The rest of the program works nicely in Linux Mint 18.1.

Will Version 1 still be free?

I hope so :)

Is there any possibility of making the 3D view work in Linux, using Wine? It almost works with simple plans. The rest of the program works nicely in Linux Mint 18.1.

Yes, there is a possibility for that, but it will require a lot of patches and workarounds and I am not sure that if I make it, I will release it for free.

Mixy

IMPORTANT!

A bug was reported and confirmed in the last version of SCARM that may prevent starting of the program on some computers. The patched version of the program was released today. Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.36, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix the issue.

See more about this bug-fix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.36 Released.

I am sorry if the bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

I am having problems downloading train simulator. I navigate to the homepage through the link in the programme, but get an error when pressing the download button. Also the traffic lights are yellow, not green. It would be helpful if it explained what the missing parameter was and how to fix it.

gL7EBhV.jpg

Also, recently I am getting the "layers" box appearing when I start the programme. I presume this is something I caused. How can I switch this off so it does not appear each time I start the programme?

rNOeTEO.jpg

Thank you. :)

Edited by Night Train

The parameter is probably filtered by AdBlock software - whitelist www.scarm.info website in your AdBlock-er and then try again.

About the Layers window - it appears only when SCARM is together with a project, already containing layers in it.

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And here are listed the railway modelling posts for March in the SCARM blog.

Check also the first sample video session from the Model Trains Simulator, presenting a short train moving between two terminus stations on a N-scale layout.

SCARM_SimSes-1-300x164.jpg

Finally, one more video about a new feature in the MTS PE, that I am working on - it's a Driver's Camera Viewing mode and should be ready for the next release of SCARM.

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&st

Hope you will like these :)

Mixy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the only SCARM blog post for May:

International Danube Modular Layout Meeting - Russe 2017

P1030392-449x300.jpg

The event hosted layouts in HO, TT and N scales and was carried out by more than 40 participants from several countries. Here is the layout scheme:

HO-TT-plans-288x300.jpg

I also attended and even drove several trains :) See the pictures that I shot in the blog post's gallery.

Last but not least, I should mention that one of the train stations and several other single modules are entirely designed in SCARM ;)

Mixy

• 1 month later...
Guest CLARENCE

I have just down-loaded the latest (1.0.0.) Scarm version, and am trying to download the Activation Key - when I click on  "pay with paypal" nothing happens. Help!

David.

Perhaps there is an issue with your current browser or its settings. Try using a different browser and ensure that JavaScript in it is enabled.

Note: JavaScript is also required for activation and installation of already purchased license key.

Mixy

Edited by Mixy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just tried to use an HP T1300 large format printer to print out my track plan.

I can't set the printer properties from Scarm and I get a "Class Not Found" error if I try to print or print preview.

Every other printer I have access to at work has 11" x 17" as it's biggest size and they all work fine.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or do you know of a large format printer that does work?

My wife has agreed to get me a large format printer for Christmas but if they don't work with Scarm I'll need to buy some trains instead!

Thanks,

John P

Hi John,

This may be due to a temporary configuration or printer driver problem. You can try the following:

1. Turn off and then on your printer. If it is a network printer attached to another PC, restart that PC and check the network settings too. Then try printing again.

2. If still got the same error, restart the PC with SCARM as sometimes the Print Spooler service or the driver may fail. Then try printing again.

3. If still no luck, try to reset the printer settings to the defaults because sometimes there may be incompatible settings set that prevent the printing (i.e. wrong orientation for a given paper tray, etc).

4. If nothing above helps, try to update or reinstall the printer driver.

As a last solution that may help, try to set SCARM to run in Compatibility mode - right-click on its icon and select "Troubleshoot compatibility". Then restart it and try again.

Let me know if that helped or not.

Mixy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After a slight learning curve coming from XtrkCAD I've found this software easy and fun to use, certainly quicker than whacking a layout up in XtrkCAD, then exporting to photoshop and then into SketchUp. I'll still perform actual track planning in Templot, but to get a gist of how things will lie this is perfect. I'm very happy! The only thing I could possibly suggest is some anti aliasing?

Hi all :)

@Lacathedrale: if you mean antialiasing in 2D, that may come in some of the next versions if I change the default GDI drawing routines with something better. In 3D, the antialiasing is enabled by default, but depends also on the driver's settings.

@NightTrain: this is one of the minor bugs that needs to be fixed, and I hope to do that soon ;)

Mixy

i recently laid out a large 0 Gauge layout in SCARM and used the polygon and rectangle to draw baseboards ( and fit the resulting bits to standard sheets of ply , all on the SCARM screen ) .Personally I prefer 2D oriented system as 3D is never very realistic and putting effort into 3D for me seems wasted 

Couple of comments from my experience 

The printout feature needs to save the selected templates ( i.e. which ones you have selected to print ) , in my case there are 400 templates and going through the output list every time , is very laborious .

IN SCRAM the printing runs from page edge to page edge , while " in theory " this means abutting up the page aligns everything , I find in practice , most printers , especially ink jets , dont accurately track paper from cassette to output, resulting in skewed templates . IT would be very useful if you could select a margin and have SCARM print location marks near the corners ( in the same manner as Templot)

A way to specify precisely the size of rectangles, circles etc , rather then soley using the mouse as its hard to get a precise rectangle that way ( I end up with lots of 3.96 feet things !!) 

it would be useful to change the units for the ruler, separate to the grid, or have the ruler measurement , display both metric and imperial at the  same time 

post-23919-0-31592100-1518960787_thumb.png

dave

Edited by Junctionmad