Bude Station, Yard etc

• RMweb Premium

A few more random items from the archives.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude 016 - N Class 2-6-0 No 31874 (07 Sep 1963).jpg

Having been turned on arrival, N Class 2-6-0 No 31874 stands outside the Engine Shed ready for

it’s next working on 07 September 1963.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude 017 - Town Map (1964).jpg

An old, and not very good, copy of the Bude Town Plan published by Ward Lock in the 1960’s which

shows the course of the Branch to the Canal Basin.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude 018 - Canal Branch River Neet Bridge No 73.jpg

Immediately after passing the Gasworks, the Branch crossed the River Neet on Bridge No 73.

Today,  this is one of the few railway structures still standing and now carries a public footpath

which runs along the course of the old trackbed.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude 019 - Canal Branch.jpg

An early colour postcard showing the Canal Branch under construction, with Bridge No 74 towards the

centre and derelict tub boats rotting away in the foreground.  Note in particular the lack of vegetation.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude 020 - Canal Branch Bridge No 74.jpg

Some 70 years later the Bridge had matured nicely into the landscape.

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.40 - Bude - Canal Branch Sea Lock.jpg

A final coloured postcard shows a deceptively tranquil scene at high tide,  to the left are the Canal and

Sea Lock, in the centre the Tramway used to bring sand up from the beach can be seen running down

into the water, and to the right the River Neet.

Lovely old photos of Bude; one question, was the harbour branch built at the same time as the railway or was it a later addition?

Many thanks,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently returned from a week in North Cornwall.  It was the first time I'd had a good look round.  The various railway bridges are most interesting.

An afternoon trip to was made Bude, with a pleasant walk along the canal.  At that point I wasn't aware of exactly where the station was.

I find myself attracted to model something from the area.  Maybe not Bude (but the information, pictures etc in this thread give you most of what you need) but something much smaller.

Attached is a panorama of the busy scene on the very interesting beach. Maybe not railway related, but the reason why the railway came to Bude.

post-2484-0-44321200-1407832143_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not too difficult actually Chris, I simply waited until no one was around and then climbed up one of the canopy supporting columns and onto the roof.  No 8 was a bit more difficult, I had to climb a tree for that one  :crazy:

Thank god for no health & safety! Well done that man.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Fab photos, it always seems that the rear of this building was not often photographed. Shame there are no plans of the building

hi, i have copies of all the buildings except the engine shed,i intended to model bude but found i did not  have the room,also i have never seen a photo of  west country/battle of britain locos at bude in the 1960s does anyone have any info on if they did, cheers nick

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't originally going to post these two due to the very poor quality, but since you've mentioned it :

attachicon.gifBude 490-050-99 ~ Stn Bldg (CS_TRA-400).jpg

The Main Station Building looking along the Forecourt towards Bencoolan Road.

AP Rowley/Authors Collection.

attachicon.gifBude 490-930-99 ~ Stn Bldg (CS_TRA-400).jpg

Looking along the Forecourt towards Halwill.

AP Rowley/Authors Collection.

Don't worry about the quality, all information is good!

And a bit of Photoshoppery gives us these:

post-5825-0-39958800-1451667081.jpg

post-5825-0-58480300-1451667086.jpg

Whats the van, is it a Bedford Doormobile?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

hi, i have copies of all the buildings except the engine shed,i intended to model bude but found i did not  have the room,also i have never seen a photo of  west country/battle of britain locos at bude in the 1960s does anyone have any info on if they did, cheers nick

It will make a lovely model. I've not seen any photos of WC/BOB at Bude in the 50's but there are some with far more knowledge on here. Are you able to share the drawings on this thread?

It will make a lovely model. I've not seen any photos of WC/BOB at Bude in the 50's but there are some with far more knowledge on here. Are you able to share the drawings on this thread?

i got the copies from opc so cannot share on here, i intend to sell them ,nick

• RMweb Gold

Whats the van, is it a Bedford Doormobile?

Cheers, Dave.

The chassis is a Bedford CA. Dormobile was the brand name of the camper-van - as we might now term it - built by Martin Walter of Folkestone on that chassis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stumbled across this post and forum a while ago when researching about Bude Railway Station. Ive started progress (quite far into it know) and the amount of information here has helped me tons, thanks.

(I`ll post pictures soon).

• RMweb Premium

London Midland & Scottish Railway, L.S.W.R.

Bude, drawings of Signal Box L.S.W.R. 1898

Late Extras, Just Put on File

Bude, drawings of Station Buildings L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of Station Buildings Plan & Elev L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of Engine Shed L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of Goods Shed L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of Tank House L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of W.I. Gate, ticket barrier, etc L.S.W.R. 1898

Bude, drawings of Platform awnings & columns L.S.W.R. 1898

You might be interested to note the OPC drawings of the buildings are all listed by the NRM on the OPC master list, each is £7.50 as digital download. The service is really good and while they say its a six weeks turnaround it depends when you order as they place an order for scans once every three weeks. Don't ask me why it is referenced as LMS (I have not got a clue)