Scaleforum 2013 - 28 & 29 September

Flymo748

• RMweb Premium

Marvellous, you really can't beat P4 can you.

I think, if you look closely, that tree is EM......

Seriously, some top drawer modelling going on there. I had hoped to make it but it clashed with one of my layouts appearing at Halifax, so I missed out. Many thanks for the lovely photos.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I had a really good weekend - thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I had a good play with my camera over the weekend and managed to get some good close ups on the signalling on Blackgill, which is an excellent layout - praise indeed from a Western man! It was very difficult for the naked eye to see how they worked and I managed to get a couple of close ups showing the wiring on the gantry. It is so simple, and worked very nicely. 

post-7376-0-24381300-1380565630_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-90919400-1380565638_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-06772600-1380565649_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-56719300-1380565658_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-72973100-1380565669_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-43277400-1380565682_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-03499800-1380565698.jpg

post-7376-0-87815000-1380565715_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-40271100-1380565726_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-15606800-1380565737_thumb.jpg

I've compressed these photos, but if anyone would like a copy of the originals for reference please send me a PM.

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I went to Scaleforum on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Stoke Mandeville Stadium is a joy to walk around after the gloomy and rather grubby venue at Leatherhead. Excellent models too and lots of quality traders, really not helping with my indecision about future 4mm standard gauge projects. ( I have a Heljan Garratt on order)

Alex

• RMweb Gold
There appears to be some lost property found after Scaleforum - from Scalefour Forum 

The following items were found during the course of clearing up after the show.

A tall folding stool with metal legs and a wooden seat.  Just the job for operating a layout sitting down.  The name written under the seat does not match any of those on the list of exhibitors, so it may have been borrowed or it may belong to a trader.

A Parkside Dundas carrier bag containing two of their kits and some Branchline wheel components.

Any claims to ownership can come to me via terrybendall@scalefour.org since I have the items at present.

Also on Saturday, i gather a fairly expensive camera was found in one of the disabled toilets and was handed in to the Stadium reception desk.  If not already claimed, this will be in the care of the Stadium management and contact should be made with them on 01296 484848  to claim ownership.

Terry Bendall

I thought I would copy it here as we have a wider audience. 

Kind regards,

Nick

Another brilliant Scaleforum. Shame it looks as though the numbers are down a bit, but maybe this is 'generic new venue syndrome' (as has apparently happened with other shows that moved), and not any kind of reaction to the specific move from Leatherhead to Aylesbury. Others have already said this, but we are very lucky to have people willing to put in the time and effort to organise it, wherever it is. Personally (and I know lots of other people think the same way), I'd make a weekend of going to Scaleforum whether it was in Cornwall or Thurso, or anywhere in between. The only thing I missed was the roof (sun?) terrace at Leatherhead, which was quite a pleasant place to have lunch or a drink, but this was far outweighed by the greater space available to circulate. (Maybe a few more exhibits could fill a bit of that space in future years?).

Layout-wise, a good selection, and lots of worthwhile stuff to see on all of them, but for me the highlight was Blackgill, which lived up to expectations, and would be stunning even if I wasn't a North-Eastern modeller myself, and it was nice to see Halifax King Cross again, always worth an extended look (particularly impressed with the sound-fitted J39). I also liked Allt-y-Graban Road a lot, and Aylesbury looks very promising.

On a different topic, thanks to David Lane for recommending The Coffee Tree for breakfast: porridge made to your individual requirements, now that's what I call service. Just a shame it's not open on Sundays.

Looking forward to next year already.

• RMweb Premium

The only thing I missed was the roof (sun?) terrace at Leatherhead, which was quite a pleasant place to have lunch or a drink,

There is a small seating area to the right of the entrance towards the tennis court & running track.  I had my lunch at sitting in the sun on the bank by the running track. It's a good spot to watch the Chiltern Line trains... in theory at least.  Very sparse service on Sundays! Saw a lot more red kites than trains :-)

On the whole a good choice of venue I think.

Ralph

Lambton58

There is a lathe. It lives with "trebor". I think I last saw it about two years ago......

Your more than welcome to collect it when your over, but it still needs to be cleaned up and get the drive belt for it.

its still siting on the bench in the shed :O

...some good close ups on the signalling on Blackgill, which is an excellent layout - praise indeed from a Western man! It was very difficult for the naked eye to see how they worked and I managed to get a couple of close ups showing the wiring on the gantry. It is so simple, and worked very nicely. 

Superb photos of a superb layout.

I've never managed to get signals to work freely enough to do this but what an excellent idea. I will certainly try it for the gantries I am planning for Clecklewyke and Bradford North Western.

Could Arpster possibly tell us what kind of thread he used and where he got it?

Ian

(and I presume the working balance weights are made of depleted uranium?) :no:

I've never managed to get signals to work freely enough to do this but what an excellent idea. I will certainly try it for the gantries I am planning for Clecklewyke and Bradford North Western.

Ian

(and I presume the working balance weights are made of depleted uranium?) :no:

Maybe there'll be a supplementary MRJ article on it?

• RMweb Gold

It is a cracking layout. As I said if anyone wants any of the uncompressed set of photos of the signalling do send a PM. This method is one that I will certainly look into. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

It looks like translucent fishing line, available from your local tackle shop. I note he went for the direct pull route, rather than use all of the 90-degree cranks.....

• RMweb Premium

Layouts as fine as these leave me with mixed emotions - on one hand, admiration and inspiration, on the other despair because I doubt very much that i will ever be able to achieve anything half as fine.  Absolutely stunning - I am still trying to convince my wife that the pictures of the poppy meadow and tree are models and not the real thing (aren't they?)

DT

Layouts as fine as these leave me with mixed emotions - on one hand, admiration and inspiration, on the other despair because I doubt very much that i will ever be able to achieve anything half as fine.  Absolutely stunning - I am still trying to convince my wife that the pictures of the poppy meadow and tree are models and not the real thing (aren't they?)

DT

Do you not think that the people whose modelling you admire also started out from the same point as you?

There is no need for despair.  Just pick up your soldering iron or scalpel and have a go :-)

Yes, it takes time, and practice, and determination.  But none of these modellers are "superhuman".  Well, that Harrap chap is a bit weird, but you can't have everything...

Cheers

Flymo

Guest oldlugger

Marvellous, you really can't beat P4 can you.

Yes "you" can. In the above photos alone, several are scenics that can be achieved in any scale/gauge. There are equally well executed (and better layouts) in other scales/gauges. This old subjective chestnut fails to carry water and is utterly pointless. On the continent and in the US, for example, there are some stunningly good layouts in HO (not P87 either). As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers

Simon

Yes "you" can. In the above photos alone, several are scenics that can be achieved in any scale/gauge. There are equally well executed (and better layouts) in other scales/gauges. This old subjective chestnut fails to carry water and is utterly pointless. On the continent and in the US, for example, there are some stunningly good layouts in HO (not P87 either). As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers

Simon

Its not always the width of the tracks that makes it a great layout. As you say, stunning scenery is not a P4 thing as the same trees work in most scales. A great layout in oo or EM may look just as good or better than P4 and may work better (or worse). There is nothing that says P4 is the best, its the finest scale for track and probably attracts the most finescale minded modellers but that doesn't always generate the finest layout. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and thus so do their layouts. Someone good at track may be appalling at buildings, someone who scratchbuilds a chassis may be no use creating trees, hedges and fields. The layouts at Scaleforum were generally good on all counts but that is what you expect at the premier P4 show. Railex in May had just as good layouts but in all major scales.

Archived