Green Deltic With BR White Inter City Insignia

les101975jud

Many years ago I was a member of a trainspotting group which originated at Kings Cross. It was called the KX12. I am still in touch with the gentleman that ran it who is now in his eighties. He has just written to me about an article published in BRM (May 2002) which suggested that D9010 is reputed to have had the BR crests removed and replaced with small arrows whilst in green but no photo seems to exist or does it? Well my old friend is able to confirm that it did indeed run in this livery. He has sent me a hard copy of the 35mm colour slide he took of D9010 on the 18 February 1967 on the 1A03 arrival at Kings Cross. Another one of my friends has also said he has a photo of this same engine in the same livery but this time in black and white. My apologies if this is already well known in this forum but I thought it was important to get this information published somewhere where it can be readily accessed by those interested in the subject.

Regards

Les

It is indeed true, and covered in the Transition Diesels Group.  A model of this loco is on my books, as it is known to have worked from Edinburgh to Hawick in this condition.

Courtesy of Napier Chronicles.http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9010.htm

As abridged from my RMWeb blog, here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/585/entry-4057-napier-nonsense-how-to-justify-the-unjustifiable/

23rd December '66: D9010 was released from Doncaster with full yellow ends applied to its 2-tone green.  The loco also received double-arrows.  Probably working over the whole line during diversions occasioned by DP2's untimely demise in July '67, the uniquely decorated Type 5 celebrated the first birthday of its full yellow ends being allocated by Edinburgh control on the 0400 Class 2 to Hawick and the 0658 return commute working.  What an incredible early Christmas present!

A picture on the site here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/46363-pilmoor-class-55-d9010-newcastle-to-kings-cross-sept-67-j1117/

Many years ago I was a member of a trainspotting group which originated at Kings Cross. It was called the KX12. I am still in touch with the gentleman that ran it who is now in his eighties. He has just written to me about an article published in BRM (May 2002) which suggested that D9010 is reputed to have had the BR crests removed and replaced with small arrows whilst in green but no photo seems to exist or does it? Well my old friend is able to confirm that it did indeed run in this livery. He has sent me a hard copy of the 35mm colour slide he took of D9010 on the 18 February 1967 on the 1A03 arrival at Kings Cross. Another one of my friends has also said he has a photo of this same engine in the same livery but this time in black and white. My apologies if this is already well known in this forum but I thought it was important to get this information published somewhere where it can be readily accessed by those interested in the subject.

Regards

Les

Yes I remember the KX12 as well, I still have some of the duplicated orange notes on depot visits that were provided subsequent to each visit. I think the founder gentleman concerned worked near Liverpool St. if my memory is correct but he certainly knew how to organise depot visits in the London area.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Les,

We may have met back in the '70s, as I also was a member of the KX12 – Alfred Gilbert would come to Reading every few weeks, and a whole bunch of us would always spend the day at the end of platform 5. I can even remember his address in Kent, back in those days.

I'd love to get in touch with him again, just to say hi. I'm sure he often wonders what happened to all those kids he used to hang out with.

Is it possible you could forward him this message, or pass on his e-mail address to me privately (with his permission)?

My e-mail is peteyoung [dot] uk [at] gmail [dot] com. Look forward to hearing from you,

Pete Young

Archived