Farish Class 25

Bending01

I picked a blue one up from my local model shop today.  Very impressed with it, looks a lot better in the flesh than in pictures in the model magazine reviews.  It ran very smoothly straight from the box as expected these days.  The lights are not too bright and have a good effect, a nice touch is the internal plastic inserts to stop light leakage.  Its a shame about the lack of depth in the underframe and solebar, even the original poole era 25 had more depth!! although somehow it does look better than the 00 version.  The brass pickups can be seen through the bogies which spoil the look a little, it didnt take me long to put some black paint on them.  In the long run I may re-number and fit snowploughs, the ploughs that come with it sit too far back and are unpainted, it looks like the ploughs that came with the 20 would be a better fit.    Cant wait for a retooled 25/3

some blurry pics:

DSCN12121_zps29e96ef8.jpg

DSCN12131_zps968629dc.jpg

DSCN12151_zps993010bc.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

My blue class 25 arrived over the weekend, very nice model but those cab front handrails do bug me. The body comes off easily as do the cab interiors, same construction as the 24, no surprise. The handrails won't push further which is a pain. The handrails will pull off OK, they do not appear to be glued in but just a friction fit with the paint holding them in, but they did take a little bit of yellow paint off the cab front. Re-drilling the holes allows the handrail to be remounted further in. A tiny dab of yellow paint will hide the alterations. I'll post some pics later.

• RMweb Premium

My blue class 25 arrived over the weekend, very nice model but those cab front handrails do bug me. The body comes off easily as do the cab interiors, same construction as the 24, no surprise. The handrails won't push further which is a pain. The handrails will pull off OK, they do not appear to be glued in but just a friction fit with the paint holding them in, but they did take a little bit of yellow paint off the cab front. Re-drilling the holes allows the handrail to be remounted further in. A tiny dab of yellow paint will hide the alterations. I'll post some pics later.

Hi

I wondered who would be first to do this as I was looking at mine over the weekend. I also need to add the missing centre lamp iron and what look like small steps either side of the centre line so the loss of a bit of yellow paint will be ok in my case. Will be interested to see you pictures.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Class 25 before, left. On the right class 24 being converted to 25023
gallery_681_3383_81918.jpg

Those handrails do stick out a mile.

gallery_681_3383_43445.jpg

And after the handrails are altered............yes the locos have swopped places!

gallery_681_3383_14814.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

One thing I really couldn't understand about the Wishlist poll I just entered - why is a Class 25/3 not a possible option to vote for?

The Class 40 is an option (old model does need re-tooling I admit), but the 25/3 is in even more need of a re-tool surely? And would be a lot easer for Farish to do this now the old style bodywork versions are just out.

Shame if Farish decided not to update the 25/3 because no-one was able to vote for it?

Cheers,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The wish list is independent of manufactures. Just because something is not on there does not mean that a manufacturer won't or can't make it, and conversely a model that comes top might not be made by any manufacture.

Its not as if the manufacturers won't see the results. Yes, they may ignore them, but I am sure certain manufacturers do base decisions on what they see in the wish-list polls, so they must have some degree of influence. I suppose the problem for all manufacturers is that they don't know which models their competitors are likely to choose to build!

With the 25/3 (or big middle window 25/2) I would imagine the only manufacturer on the cards to do a re-tooled version is almost certainly Farish. I can only hope that sales of their latest release are highly successful and result in them re-tooling the 25/3 whatever any wish-list poll comes out with.

Regards,

Paul 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I note that the Farish non-weathered Class 25s have virtually sold out. Very few places have them in-stock on line now.

I managed to snap up the very last Blue 25245 from my local model shop on Saturday (it was the display cabinet model, they had no more in their stock cupboard when they looked)

I think the blue weathered version which is still currently available -25231 is okay - but looks a little bit too faded to me. I don't remember the blue fading very much on 25's, although there was usually a lot of dirt/oil on the bodysides and around the roof which is not very well re-produced on this model - hence I would rather add a light weathering to 25245. My new one will be re-numbered in due course as already have one example in the fleet.

Hopefully Farish will produce a new batch of the 25's as they seem rather popular. Even better would be a re-tooled one in the later body-style (big middle window, grills at cantrail height)!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by MR PJ

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic as it concerns the earlier Farish class 25/3 body. Are the dimensions close enough for it to fit a current chassis or is it too short, narrow etc.

Or.....and I think I know the answer.....don't bother. A conversion from the current 25/2 will probably easier if I can source something for the cantrail roof grills.

Edited by acg5324

• 9 months later...