Show us your scratchbuilt building

I put some pictures of my station building on my blog a while ago, but as I'm still quite pleased with it, I thought I'd put some here!

7mm scale, built from plasticard model of a William Clark station building circa 1905

attachicon.gifblogentry-5869-0-67722200-1358517373_thumb1.jpg

attachicon.gifblogentry-5869-0-70991200-1358517888_thumb1.jpg

attachicon.gifblogentry-5869-0-85288700-1358518327_thumb1.jpg

Looks fantastic!

• RMweb Gold

THAT Station, WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up........

Never give up Alan!  I've been a huge fan of your work since my early teens, reading your Railway Modeller articles in the early 70's was instrumental in getting me started in railway modelling.

Best wishes

Dave

THAT Station, WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up........

Hi Allan & Dave,

Having seen the building "in the flesh" - it really is a superb piece of work

However Mr Downes, my pal Wenlock & I are both admirers of your work

We both read RM avidly in the 70's drooling over your buildings & Downesplans

I'm sure I speak for both of us, and many more of us when I say you have inspired so many....

So whatever happens.....pleeeease..... Don't give up :)

Cheers

Marc

Hi Allan & Dave,

Having seen the building "in the flesh" - it really is a superb piece of work

However Mr Downes, my pal Wenlock & I are both admirers of your work

We both read RM avidly in the 70's drooling over your buildings & Downesplans

I'm sure I speak for both of us, and many more of us when I say you have inspired so many....

So whatever happens.....pleeeease..... Don't give up :)

Cheers

Marc

I'm sure Allan and Iain have been an inspiration to many of us over the years. I remember making a 4mm scale forge with thatched cottage after reading Allan's article in the RM in the seventies. The thatch was made of strands of knitting wool and then covered in flock powder!

Alan.

• Like 1

I'm sure Allan and Iain have been an inspiration to many of us over the years. I remember making a 4mm scale forge with thatched cottage after reading Allan's article in the RM in the seventies. The thatch was made of strands of knitting wool and then covered in flock powder!

Alan.

Hi Alan.

Could this be that forge ?

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-83476200-1374252358.jpg

Hi Alan.

Could this be that forge ?

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0117.jpg

Yes, that's the one Allan. We had an exchange about it on your own topic some time ago. It started me on a voyage of migration from Superquick kits at the time!

Alan.

• Like 2

Here's my model of Buckingham station, made from plasticard, using foundation measurements and counting bricks.

Platform side

attachicon.gifP1010343 cropped.jpg

Entrance side

attachicon.gifP1010340 cropped.jpg

The real thing by John Langford

attachicon.gifBuckingham c1959-60 small.jpg

and a similar view on the layout

attachicon.gifP1010188.JPG

and from the other platform

attachicon.gifP1010191.JPG

Would like to see more please. Have you modelled the goods yard area? Being local I have walked the old line a few times but only moved into the area after the railway had long gone.

Alan.

Alan and Allan

Thanks for your comments, I have considered a thread but not yet got round to it, the layout was started as a club layout in Bedford, but the club folded as we were down to three.  The layout was started in 1998 or so, so it is very slow progress, I've inherited it and been fortunate to have a shed to put it in.  It would have been a great shame not to keep it going.  However, as ever, time to do things is always the issue, especially when most things are scratch or kit built, the layout is EM gauge.  I have thought about the goods yard, but it was 750 yards away over the viaduct towards Banbury and then about as big again as the station, when I've got the station finished and built enough stock to run it, I might consider it.  I have a number of photos and drawings and the plan so it may happen one day.

I've given myself a deadline as I hope to take the layout as is to the March 2015 Leamington and Warwick club show, it still won't be finished but I hope it will be acceptable for that.  I'm trying to finish things I've started but not completed, I'd like to put signals on but time may not permit that. One of the old club members is still helping on the layout so we might make some progress.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

You mentioned Bedford.

Well I lived and worked in Bedford in 1960/62 and lived on Goldington Avenue. Also frequented the 'Garden Of Eden' coffee bar just off John Bunyon square opposite Condelli's.

This was all pre railway modelling as a Burton's  'Saturday night special' a killer quiff and girls all took precedence !

Cheers.

Allan

Hi, I don't mind doing the building bit but when it come to painting them I can't seem to get it right, I pass our club buildings on to another member whose a artist / retired art teacher who transforms them. Any tips for future projects guys, I'm down the club tomorrow I'll take some photos of the 'O' gauge goods shed I built & he painted.

Nigel    

• Like 1

Here's another building made a while ago for an old layout that no longer exists now. This is based on a house in a nearby village that I used to pass on my way to work. Construction is from foamboard with Howard Scenics printed brickpaper before I started using embossed plasticard.

post-9443-0-49395500-1374427506_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Here's another building made a while ago for an old layout that no longer exists now. This is based on a house in a nearby village that I used to pass on my way to work. Construction is from foamboard with Howard Scenics printed brickpaper before I started using embossed plasticard.

attachicon.gifStewkley House1.jpg

Hi Alant, another superb job, and I particulary like your neat, crisp work. And that hedging is about the best I've seen.

I've used that brickpaper myself before and I must say that I prefer it to Slaters embossed, but that's only because I'm totaly at a loss when it comes to colouring whereas Iain Robinson and Peter Leyland have got it down to a fine art -  but don't tell them that I told you that !

Cheers.

Allan.

Now just to show I have built in other scales, here's a 4mm example built for the Milton Keynes MRC EM gauge Milton Quays layout.

Photo is attributed to Phil Parker and taken from Flickr.

post-9443-0-76267300-1374486271_thumb.jpg

• Like 12