Show us your scratchbuilt building

Alant,

You're one heck of a blinding model maker, ever thought of taking it up professionally ?

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

Thanks again for your kind comments. I have thought about taking it up professionally in the past and may look more seriously at things over the next few years maybe as a supplement to early retirement! I think I would struggle at pricing things though so any help in that area would be appreciated.

Alan.

Freebs, that tunnel mouth, what stonework did you use ? - it's brilliant, and that colour is right on the money for the Cotswolds look.

Cheers.

Allan.

Cheers Allan - the stonework is all hand-scribed from pieces of compressed pvc board - offcuts of which we get at work. It's the same stuff I made my station building out of :)

Hi Allan,

Thanks again for your kind comments. I have thought about taking it up professionally in the past and may look more seriously at things over the next few years maybe as a supplement to early retirement! I think I would struggle at pricing things though so any help in that area would be appreciated.

Alan.

Hmm, Pricing.

Well I've just bought a new hat, so I'd better go easy here.

Now Alan, there's a lot of really good professional model makers out there that would knock me into a cocked hat, but it's maybe that their name doesn't stick out like a sore thumb as mine does - I'm even known in Inverness!! - but that's what happens when you flood the media with your work for over 40 years and, more to the point, your name. Now that doesn't mean to say I'm the best, far,far from it, it's just that I've got a bigger ego than every one else! so, in the old days whenever anybody wanted a model built, they would either know of my work through the various magazines, or ask for a reccommendation, and because my name in those days was plastered over every other page of every other magazine, it was the first name that came to mind so, really, I was trading on a name and when you are, people are prepared to pay more just cos your name's on it rather than pay some not so well known half the price and whoe's probably twice as good.

However,I would say about 10 quid an hour seems a fair going rate but if say you took a week to build a cottage and worked a 7 day week at ten hours a day (and you will!) that means somehow you've got to pass that cost onto your customer - and 700 quid just for a cottage well yes if the customer wants it because your name's on it, but no it it ain't.

So, in order to charge even a tenner an hour, you've got to be able to work fast, good but fast (you just develope a good enough standard to make a living and don't go above it, and certainly not below it) and knock out something like a "three up, three down" in at least two days and though it's not a lot to begin with, it will be when you can up your hourly rate as the demand for YOUR work comes in so Alan, it's all about establishing yourself but with the Internet, where you could set up your own site, it should be a whole lot easier than the old days when your name only appeared once a month - IF, they ran with whatever you sent in for that month.

Anyway, I hope this helps, but maybe Iain and Peter can be of more help as they are currently active whereas I'm far from it - just here to annoy Robinson!

Cheers.

Allan.

Guest Celticwardog

I've posted these joint efforts elsewhere but this forum is more relavant. Buildings are my thing and much prefer an urban layout to a "countryside" view (as nice as some of them are!). Here are 2 of my efforts, albeit not finished. But the cinema is huge so no wonder really.

post-19818-0-49033100-1374597960_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-05671300-1374597982_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-73945700-1374598000_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I've posted these joint efforts elsewhere but this forum is more relavant. Buildings are my thing and much prefer an urban layout to a "countryside" view (as nice as some of them are!). Here are 2 of my efforts, albeit not finished. But the cinema is huge so no wonder really.

Incredible model making, can we see more ?!!!!!

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

CelticWarDog, Those are amazing.

Can I ask, are these buildings based on prototypes? I only ask as they look familiar some how. That may just be down to damn good modelling though :)

Edited by acg_mr

Guest Celticwardog

CelticWarDog, Those are amazing.

Can I ask, are these buildings based on prototypes? I only ask as they look familiar some how. That may just be down to damn good modelling though :)

Hi ACG thanks for the kind comments. The cinema is based on the now defunct Odeon in Newport, though for our purposes the design has been flipped. The station is loosely based on Hoylake, a Merseyside affair. I think it is familair as its reminiscent of a few really, lsay perhaps Arnos Grove & Hangar lane. Our research seems to show a common theme in 1930's utilitarianism haha.

Guest Celticwardog

Incredible model making, can we see more ?!!!!!

Cheers.

Allan.

Hello Mr Downes

Many thanks indeed for the kind words, needless to say high praise from someone so skillful in the area. Following with pics, you may notice a common theme (none of them be finished lol!) I should point out that I didnt build any of these. I work with someone who does, trouble is he cannot paint so well so one could say we are somewhat ying and yang. While I regard construction the better skill a well constructed item can be killed by a poor paint job (and indeed a bodge construction can be saved with a good one) so thats where I step in.

A typical (and not attractive Catholic church)

post-19818-0-78220600-1374613606_thumb.jpg

An island waiting room, made unusual that the curve of the platform is mirrored in the curve of its roof.

post-19818-0-54190100-1374613657_thumb.jpg

An incredibly long (4ft) retaining wall, designed for a layout of Liverpool Exchange, something on temporary hiatus.

post-19818-0-22784500-1374613719_thumb.jpg

More wall, with shelters.

post-19818-0-93622400-1374613805_thumb.jpg

Finally a 2ft tall rendtion of what was the John Moores building in Liverpool, now known as the plaza. kind of 1/5th releif as its very long in reality. Proud of this in its uniqueness and height (did I mention its 2 bleedin feet tall haha) 

post-19818-0-78267500-1374613917_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-12162400-1374613942_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-74463100-1374613956_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here a small platelayers mess I've built early these year for one of my Great-britN modules.

PB240696.JPG

I used balsawood for the covered with Scalescenes textures for the stonebuilding. The shed was made of Corrugated plastic sheet.

Markus

• Like 4

Hello Mr Downes

Many thanks indeed for the kind words, needless to say high praise from someone so skillful in the area. Following with pics, you may notice a common theme (none of them be finished lol!) I should point out that I didnt build any of these. I work with someone who does, trouble is he cannot paint so well so one could say we are somewhat ying and yang. While I regard construction the better skill a well constructed item can be killed by a poor paint job (and indeed a bodge construction can be saved with a good one) so thats where I step in.

attachicon.gifChurch.jpg

An island waiting room, made unusual that the curve of the platform is mirrored in the curve of its roof.

attachicon.gifisland.jpg

An incredibly long (4ft) retaining wall, designed for a layout of Liverpool Exchange, something on temporary hiatus.

attachicon.gifwall1.jpg

attachicon.gifwall2.jpg

Finally a 2ft tall rendtion of what was the John Moores building in Liverpool, now known as the plaza. kind of 1/5th releif as its very long in reality. Proud of this in its uniqueness and height (did I mention its 2 bleedin feet tall haha) 

attachicon.gifJM1.jpg

attachicon.gifJM2.jpg

attachicon.gifJM3.jpg

Well I'll tell you something, I wish I could build a retaining wall even half as good as that - incredible.

In fact, it's ALL incredible.

Cheers.

Allan.

Hello Mr Downes

attachicon.gifChurch.jpg

attachicon.gifisland.jpg

attachicon.gifwall1.jpg

attachicon.gifwall2.jpg

attachicon.gifJM1.jpg

attachicon.gifJM2.jpg

attachicon.gifJM3.jpg

These are great! Very tidy work and an unusual prototype. I would be very chuffed if I'd made that. "Modern image" is a whole new set of challenges...I often think it's much more difficult than period buildings because everything has to be sharp and clean in the build...can't get away with dodgy angles...so well done!

cheers,

Iain

Just found this...perfect bit of Art Deco, and very unusual. I don't know why more people model thirties architecture...it's very "iconic" to overuse a word.  Very fine work.

cheers,

Iain

A mill building

attachicon.gifmill pic1.jpg

The same mill at night

attachicon.gifevening1small.jpg

The wheel inspection access of the same mil

attachicon.gifIMG_1608.JPG

Run-off stream thereto

attachicon.gifstream22.jpg

Unusual subject-a lime-kiln

attachicon.gifkilnfinish2small.jpg

attachicon.gifkilnfish4small.jpg

Low relief workshops

attachicon.gifWorkshopLR1.jpg

attachicon.gifWorkshopLR4.jpg

Bombed terrace [after Stamshaw, Portsmouth 1950s]

attachicon.gifBombed terrace2small.jpg

detail thereof

attachicon.gifBombed terrace1.jpg

The Ringwell Alarm Clock Co.

attachicon.gifIMG_6695.JPG

Bear's End Station Mk 1

attachicon.giffrontleftfinish1.jpg

Skew built tunnel

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Harbour Offices

attachicon.gifxa.jpg

attachicon.gifsun3.jpg

Warehouse

attachicon.gifwarehouse finish2.jpg

attachicon.gifwarehouse finish1c.jpg

[With permission of the copyright holders]

attachicon.gify.jpg

All in card and paper, save glazing.

Doug

Incredible

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chubber, they really are a fabulous series of buildings! I thought the first picture was of a real scene, completely convincing in my opinion. What scale are you modelling in and are the buildings on a layout?

Dave

Other that I'm in the wrong business, what can I say ?!!

Well while it was all outstanding, I just couldn't, and still can't, believe that that mill scene isn't for real. Stunning modelling,never seen anything like it!

More please !!

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen most of Chubber's photos before, but on individual threads over a period of time, to have them all together like that is just fantastic, and I'd also love to see more, angles and corners of them that perhaps haven't been seen yet... also, given that this is card and brickpaper (ScaleScenes, Doug, isn't it?), the weathering on the papers is just superb and inspirational, and any kind of further information on what paints/inks etc. you've used would be incredibly useful just now...!

• Agree 1

Hi folks,

some excellent modelling here chubber, Celticwardog and the usual excellence from downes and /robinson,

here is BRENt island platform building in 4mm scale

pleylandmodels585_zps236c59b0.jpg

pleylandmodels578_zpsaa4d078e.jpg

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 6