Show us your scratchbuilt building

In the early 1980's I joined the Model Railway Club in Ashford Kent.  At the first exhibition I exhibited a 4' x 4'3" continuous run with 2 sidings based on the KESR.

post-2484-0-62552100-1503182807_thumb.jpg

Over 30 years later the building is still knocking about.  Came across it during my tidy up... A little tattered around the ears.  Very loosely based on a Col Stephens style.  No plan used, just by eye.  The roof is slates, cut in rows from thin plasticard.  Just needs a little TLC

post-2484-0-05282100-1503182459_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-93006300-1503182461_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-22738400-1503182465_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-16464500-1503182471_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-73770700-1503182480_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-26380500-1503182485_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Have been making a start on the single storey rears to the 'Elm Street' Victorian terrace. These will contain a scullery and outside loo. have 6 pairs and four single ones to do in total. Not finished but coming on.

post-2544-0-51178200-1503290794_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here's the (as yet still unfinished) building models along St Thomas Street (from the corner with Borough High Street with the building in that road shown in post 1450). They are not exact replicas and have been simplified and compressed but hopefully capture the look and atmosphere of the real structures. Next along from the old church (now the old St Thomas hospital operation theatre museum and herb garden) are the old London Bridge station offices which are Georgian in style and set back with a small courtyard in front. I've yet to start to make them.

post-33-0-73589000-1503436674_thumb.jpg

For how these N/2mm scale buildings have been made see the thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page-12

G.

• Like 13

Absolutely top notch modelling, G.

I couldn't even match that in G scale let alone N Gauge !

Superb.

Many thanks, but in reality it's your model buildings that are an inspiration and that I try to emulate.

In N/2mm as well as trying to work to fine tollerances you do need a little more latitude and need to 'cheat' to suggest detail. What you leave out can be as important as what you include, especially to avoid over-crowning and overwhelming the models. Sometime less really is more.

G

attachicon.gifalloa 008 (2).jpg

One from Alloa, probably been seen before, but all built from scratch.

Stunning.

G.

• RMweb Premium

My first attempt at making a G-scale building. It is for an indoor layout.

post-19248-0-04562600-1503573735_thumb.jpg

Structure is mainly made from foam board with some balsa and styrene.  Top part of walls are covered with coffee stirrers; I had to buy them to get enough of the right length, probably still cheaper than costalot coffee.  Bottom part was first covered with pollyfilla then coated with home made miniature rendering.  Doors and windows together with brick and tile styrene sheet from Jackson Miniatures (excellent service).

Most rooms have interiors and are lit with battery powered LEDs.

A few more details to add.

Could really do with gutters and downpipes, but I'm not sure how to make them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A few more details to add.

Could really do with gutters and downpipes, but I'm not sure how to make them.

How about 4mm, 5mm or 6mm U channel for the guttering and 4, 5 or 6mm pipe for the downpipes. I believe that scales up to standard 4 or 6" guttering in "G" scale assuming the ratio is 13.5mm /ft? Quick look on google and pipe seems readily available in that size so you could try slicing one in half for the guttering??.

Here's the next N/2mm scratch-built structure along from the old church (see post 1456). It butts up to the church and is the first in a row of handsome Georgian style buildings with a small courtyard at the front, that are marked up on the 1907 OS map as 'railway offices' although currently are just leasehold office accommodation. It's not finished (chimney pots, drain pipes, flashing, steps up to the right hand door need making and adding, plus the sub basement area needs modelling) and is just temporarily placed for photography;

post-33-0-92445600-1503924826_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

Here's the next N/2mm scratch-built structure along from the old church (see post 1456). It butts up to the church and is the first in a row of handsome Georgian style buildings with a small courtyard at the front, that are marked up on the 1907 OS map as 'railway offices' although currently are just leasehold office accommodation. It's not finished (chimney pots, drain pipes, flashing, steps up to the right hand door need making and adding, plus the sub basement area needs modelling) and is just temporarily placed for photography;

attachicon.gifDSC_3220.JPG

G.

I've probably said it before and I'll say it again, this is absolutely top class model making at its best.

Supreme in every aspect.

Cheers.

Allan.

Use Plastruct U channel for guttering, it's ready made and does the job perfectly. For cast iron guttering glue a length of thin strip to the top edge to thicken it up a bit - job done! I've used it in every scale from HO to 16mm, and wouldn't use anything else. 

Peter

Not painted yet, but a little station building I designed and built.

Once its on the platform, the columns can be installed.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_6f6.jpeg

Nice little station that, BT4, but you could present the canopy as cantilevered as was typical on such structures, thus saving on the need to make columns.

Thought that might help.

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've been pressing on with the next buildings (scratch built in N/2mm scale) for the terrace of 'Railway Offices':

post-33-0-98665100-1504044742_thumb.jpg

Details of their construction can be found in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page-14

G.

• Like 9

My latest fully finished and detailed Coal Office has just appeared out of our paintshop.

this

attachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3769.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3773.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3775.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3778.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3792.JPG

from this, my laser cut kit.

attachicon.gif21200555_10154777026292256_7124801959911298707_o.jpg

Now that's what I call modelling with just the right attention to detail.

All it needs now is a nice little weigh bridge to go with it. Skalelink can help there with their etched plate sheets for the drive on bed plate. I have a picture should you want to see an example.

Cheers.

Allan

My latest fully finished and detailed Coal Office has just appeared out of our paintshop.

this

attachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3769.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3773.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3775.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3778.JPGattachicon.gifxcoalSAM_w3792.JPG

from this, my laser cut kit.

attachicon.gif21200555_10154777026292256_7124801959911298707_o.jpg

I could look at your brickwork all day!

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some progress with the building in post #1467 and pics of it elsewhere on the forum:

post-33-0-76981000-1505648576_thumb.jpg

There's still the doors, flashing and drain pipes for the east wing to make and fit. And then the cobbled courtyard out the front with the sub-basement section (where the white painted wall section is).

G.

• Like 7

Now that's what I call modelling with just the right attention to detail.

All it needs now is a nice little weigh bridge to go with it. Skalelink can help there with their etched plate sheets for the drive on bed plate. I have a picture should you want to see an example.

Cheers.

Allan

Thanks Allan, thats praise indeed coming from you. The real praise should go to the whole team and in particularly to Peter Insole who is our lead artist.

As for a weigh bridge plate, I have a plan...

post-1485-0-42482000-1505649029_thumb.jpg

Designed and laser cut by myself. We have one going through the paint workshops at the moment, so watch this space.

• Like 3

I've put together a temporary set-up of how all the buildings in the Railway Offices terrace, including the church that joins them at the end, looks. This gives me a good overview, how the buildings are dovetailing together and that their overall finish is consistent: 

post-33-0-66850100-1505650508_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

Spittal Forge in place on the layout, with stables, garden and the beginnings of scenery:

post-11846-0-78051000-1506106199_thumb.jpg

Excuse the temporary backscene; if I put the full one on I can't reach to work and if I leave it off most of the stuff ends up on the floor..............

Ian

Edited by IanLister
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another, not quite complete (doors, gutters, downpipes and flashing still to be made and added), 2mm/N scratch-build model building. It's based on a row of shops in Tooley Street but will be viewed from the rear (on the layout and as in the pic below) and will be located behind the Printworks apartments building in post 1476. It's made from cardboard and plasticard and from traditional techniques of marking and cutting out with a sharp knife and steel edge:

post-33-0-06753300-1507325929_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 15