Farish Class 90 upgrade with PH designs detail parts

Looking forward to seeing the finished 90012! When do you reckon she'll be done?

I got a Freightliner 90 last week to use as a donor chassis for my 90022 which is now underway..slowly. If you can get yourself a cheap donor model in any livery I'll happily swap bodies to save you a repaint, I don't need a Freightliner green one for my era. Let me know!

Not your area I know, but if you ever go ECML for a change, I'm working on a detail etch for the 91 which works on similar principles to this. Probably why my 90 conversion isn't getting done!!

Hi Ash,

Should be about 3 weeks before she is back, can't wait! I'll let you know if I can pick up a cheap donor model.

The 91 etch sounds interesting, would look great with directional lighting too! Does the light cluster differ nowadays from the original delivery cluster when they were in Intercity livery?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Ash,

Should be about 3 weeks before she is back, can't wait! I'll let you know if I can pick up a cheap donor model.

The 91 etch sounds interesting, would look great with directional lighting too! Does the light cluster differ nowadays from the original delivery cluster when they were in Intercity livery?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yep, they were originally black with an IC swallow logo in the middle, but some of the photos I've seen of this lead me to believe they were quite fragile(!)... http://www.flickr.com/photos/71092681@N07/10746377053/ (not my photo)

Interestingly I've seen photos of both IC liveried locos with the newer grill, and GNER liveried locos with the black grill (minus swallow) which looked really smart. Logic suggests they'd be swapped when the repaints were done but it looks like that wasn't the case.

The side grills also differ from 91011 onwards. Having to do two seperate etches to cover both options.

90's have far more liveries, but in terms of detail differences they are a lot simpler to model! Only thing I can think of is the rubbing plates being removed on 90/1's.

Does the light cluster differ nowadays from the original delivery cluster when they were in Intercity livery?

The light surrounds didn't change, but the grille between them did. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have LED red lights these days. I did the later grilles in kit 1391B. The lights/griiles are transfers though.

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon all,

Well the postman delivered my class 90 back this morning, freshly painted up in its Greater Anglia livery as 90012 "Royal Anglian Regiment". I must say, it does look rather smart!

Still a few bits to finish off on it:

- Change the battery box to the correct class 90 version as the chassis used is that of a class 87.

- Add orange cantrail stripe

- Add buffer beam detailing

- Lightly weather the under frame

Here are some initial photos giving a flavour of the finished product. I'll post some more once the loco is completely finished, which will be on the layout with the directional lights.

post-10222-0-32391500-1387464923_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-41698200-1387464937_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

That looks great Jeremy.

Thanks Pete. Hopefully the final bits of detailing will finish it off nicely. I hope to do another 90 in the new year, just waiting for a reasonably priced one to come up on ebay.

I'm also thinking of using a donor Dapol class 86 chassis next time around which will already be DCC ready with lights pre installed and will hopefully allow me to lower the farish class 90 body so there are no gaps between the bogies and body which will make it a little more prototypical.

Hi Ian,

The Dapol class 86 chassis isn't quite as bulky inside as the Farish one and as there is very little room for the DCC chip and lighting in the Farish chassis, it means that the body rides a little high, even with the chassis milled down to the minimum.

I could attach the Farish bogies side frames to the Dapol bogies and it should look the part. I'll probably experiment with this in the new year as I have far too many unfinished projects on my work bench at present.

In terms of the 4mm 90, I have considered it but at the moment, with space being at a premium, I'll stick with 2mm. Now do I need to start another layout for the Greater Anglia 90...........!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Next on the list is 90016 in freightliner green livery. This one will be a farish class 90 on a Dapol class 86 chassis so I can get a nice close fit between body and chassis. The loco will still have directional lighting.

I'm hoping to finish 90012 over the coming week so I'll post some photos once done and keep everyone updated on progress with 90016.

I'm also going to get the wheelsets turned down to 2mm finescale standards.

Good evening all,

A bit of an update tonight. I have now added the buffer beam detail with just the TDM cables outstanding, which require a second coat of paint before fixing into position. Still quite a bit to do and I'm definitely going to fit wire hand rails so I'll be ordering a 0.25mm drill bit for this so that I get a nice neat finish.

The photo is a little cruel on the black paintwork on the light cluster etch which I'll just touch in a little so that it appears tidy from normal viewing distance.

post-10222-0-94976900-1388185273_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Not checked in here for a while, looking really good now it's almost there!  What happened to doing 90008 next?

I know this is going back a bit, but when you got the lighting fitted, do you know what size LED's the company who did it for you used? Are you on DCC as well?

Not checked in here for a while, looking really good now it's almost there!  What happened to doing 90008 next?

I know this is going back a bit, but when you got the lighting fitted, do you know what size LED's the company who did it for you used? Are you on DCC as well?

Hi Ash,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I think he used 0.25mm LED's. It wasn't an easy job as there is very little room for the wiring and the holes for the lights are drilled very close to each other. The loco was also converted to DCC in the process and the chassis block had to be milled down to allow space for the decoder. However, as there is only so much that can be milled down on the chassis block, it means that the body rides slightly higher than before. Still well worth it though to have the lights.

90008 is still on the list however I fancy a freightliner one next. Just waiting for a reasonably priced one to come up as I want to use a Dapol 86 chassis on the next one so that the body sits snug just above the bogies.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived