Spanish Rail Crash

Mike at C&M

• RMweb Premium

More pictures on Sky News:

http://news.sky.com/story/1120030/train-crash-in-spain-at-least-10-killed

Is the train a TGV derivative or a Talgo?

From the style of the stock I would say a Talgo. If so then don't they have adjustable wheelsets to allow through running between Iberian and standard gauge

From the style of the stock I would say a Talgo. If so then don't they have adjustable wheelsets to allow through running between Iberian and standard gauge

I don't think all are fitted for Iberian/Standard running, though I believe they all have a system where the two wheels are mounted independently on stub-axles on an A-frame.

The authorities seem to be ruling out the suggestions of sabotage or terrorism that had been reported in the less respectable parts of the media. The Guardian reports both drivers survived.

It has been reported in the last few minutes that the train-driver allegedly admitted to the rescue services that he went into the 80kph curve at close to 190 kph.

Here is a brief description of the train-protection system currently used in Spain, from an article in Railway Technical Web Pages by Piers Connor, Felix Schmid and Charles Watson:-

'

"ASFA (Spain)

ASFA is a cab-signalling and train protection system widely used in Spain. Intermittent track-to-train communication is based on magnetically coupled resonant circuits in such a way that nine different sets of data can be transmitted. A resonant circuit trackside is tuned to a frequency representing the signal aspect. The system is not fail safe, but reminds the driver of the signalling conditions and requires him to acknowledge restrictive aspects within 3s. Lamp and bell warnings are provided for the driver.

Three different train types can be selected on-board to give continuous speed supervision of line speed and after passing a restrictive signal (160 km/h or 180 km/h). A speed check can be carried out (60 km/h, 50 km/h or 35 km/h, depending on train type) after passing a transponder 300m before reaching a stop signal and a train trip is provided at signals at danger. There is an irrevocable emergency brake upon violation."

From this description, it would appear that an 80 kph restriction would not be subject to a brake application.

The authorities seem to be ruling out the suggestions of sabotage or terrorism that had been reported in the less respectable parts of the media. The Guardian reports both drivers survived.

The problem is their memories are full of the Madrid Bombings which targeted the rail network and are still argued over...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

It has been reported in the last few minutes that the train-driver allegedly admitted to the rescue services that he went into the 80kph curve at close to 190 kph.

That has now been mentioned on UK media Brian - although still unofficial of course.

All in all a very nasty incident and one's heart goes out to the bereaved and injured.  Talgo type trains appear to have a long history (almost 70 years through various marks and variants) and have seemingly been trouble free until now; a sad day for Spain, and railways in general.

Here is a brief description of the train-protection system currently used in Spain, from an article in Railway Technical Web Pages by Piers Connor, Felix Schmid and Charles Watson:-

'

"ASFA (Spain)

ASFA is a cab-signalling and train protection system widely used in Spain. Intermittent track-to-train communication is based on magnetically coupled resonant circuits in such a way that nine different sets of data can be transmitted. A resonant circuit trackside is tuned to a frequency representing the signal aspect. The system is not fail safe, but reminds the driver of the signalling conditions and requires him to acknowledge restrictive aspects within 3s. Lamp and bell warnings are provided for the driver.

Three different train types can be selected on-board to give continuous speed supervision of line speed and after passing a restrictive signal (160 km/h or 180 km/h). A speed check can be carried out (60 km/h, 50 km/h or 35 km/h, depending on train type) after passing a transponder 300m before reaching a stop signal and a train trip is provided at signals at danger. There is an irrevocable emergency brake upon violation."ŷ

From this description, it would appear that an 80 kph restriction would not be subject to a brake application.

So the Spanish system seems very different to TVM 430 used on HS1 and TGV lines.

On TVM, trains cannot travel more than 8kph above the in-cab indicated "execute" speed. There is an emergency brake intervention.

The approach to "closed markers" (equivalent to a stop signal) the systems seem similar where if the train travels more than 32kph 200 metres on the approach to the marker board, an emergency brake intervenes.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron,

Any explanation for not being canted (super-elevated) on a tight curve?

Martin.

Judging by picture I wonder if it (lack of superelevation) might also be something to do with the vertical curve?  Mind you do we know for certain that there is no superelevation - if the curve is tight it will still need the lift in order to get the speed up to 80kph?

The death toll seems unusually high for a simple derailment even at high speed. At Eschede the collapse of the road bridge was a major factor but, though I suppose the concrete retaining wall may have tended to focus the damage at Santiago de Compostela, it's too soon to speculate. 

The death toll seems unusually high for a simple derailment even at high speed. At Eschede the collapse of the road bridge was a major factor but, though I suppose the concrete retaining wall may have tended to focus the damage at Santiago de Compostela, it's too soon to speculate. 

From the photos on the BBC, it looks like at least some of the train may have hit/climbed the rocky end of the retaining wall. Certainly the trailing power car ended up alongside it and there is some piece of equipment on top of the rock beside it.

Adrian

That has now been mentioned on UK media Brian - although still unofficial of course.

All in all a very nasty incident and one's heart goes out to the bereaved and injured.  Talgo type trains appear to have a long history (almost 70 years through various marks and variants) and have seemingly been trouble free until now; a sad day for Spain, and railways in general.

With Canada, France and now Spain, railways are certainly having a torrid time at present. My sympathy to all the victims, including those on the railways who suddenly find themselves caught up in tragedy and the focus of (often ill-informed) public attention. No real clues yet as to the cause of this but, as I recall, the Talgos used by Amtrak on the Seattle-Vancouver BC 'Cascades' were not entirely trouble-free. Problems with (I believe) metal fatigue in the tilt structure, caused all the cars to be temporarily taken out of traffic for attention a few summers back. I know very little about Spanish equipment and have no idea if the train involved was similar. As I understand the Talgo system, the car bodies are suspended, pendulum-like, from a structure on the bogie, and not at all like our tilting train arrangement.

Archived