NEM coupler pockets required for 2x Fleischmann HO stock

Dudley

Hello,

I have sourced two really good Fleischmann HO items; a 5339 LWB covered 'Knauf' wagon and a 5081 Mitropa diner coach. Both have pin mount Fl close couplers but not being 'K' models neither has NEM pockets for conversion to other types. Can anyone help/ advise please? The 'Net has revealed nothing in the way of spares or converters.

Failing this I will have to try and obtain two pairs of Fl 6523 couplers with standard hook and loop mounts.

Where might be the best place to obtain these in UK please?

Many thanks,

Dudley

I don't believe there is a NEM 362 version of the slot-and-pin mounted coupler. There is the regular 6523, the Profi 6516 (which I assume is what you have), and the height-adjustable 6572 that has an NEM 363 (not 362) connection for Profi heads (Roco close coupler heads also work). Note that VI Trains made a UK-style tension-lock couper head for NEM 363 as well.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - Yes it's the Profi 6516 that I have. I looked up the 6572 as you suggested and whilst I am using the Roco 40271 close coupler it's not apparent how this will fit. Funnily enough the Magic Train 4217.1 NEM mount is a more or less exact fit once the (HO wagon) pin hole has been opened out with a 2.6mm drill.

There we are, I've answered my own question  :)

Dudley

Roco 40287 is a pair of height-adjustable couplers. They fit into a NEM 362 pocket, but the head is NEM 363 compatible and will work with the Fleischmann 6572 (although the fit can be slightly loose). http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=4&ca=76&sc=HO&stock=R-40287  I use a suitably hacked up 6572 fit into the Airfix-style coupler pocket on some of my GWR locos - witht the Roco head it will couple to the Hornby/Roco close coupler that I use in my Bachmann Mk1 Coaches.

You can always try the Roco 40343/40344 mechanisms

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=4&ca=76&sc=HO&stock=R-40343

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=4&ca=76&sc=HO&stock=R-40344

Adrian

Some good advice there Adrian. Not really sure where to source those bits here in Blighty.

In the interim I made my own NEM pockets for the wagon. I found that 3.90mm OD brass tube - flattened slightly (but only after you've soldered the tube and strip together) - will take a standard NEM coupler shank/tail with ease. This I cut to match the coupler shank/tail which turned out at 6.40mm. Soldered to a strip of brass 0.9mm x 5mm x 14mm. Back end of strip drilled with 2mm bit to accept a M2 csk stainless bolt. See attached images.

A straight length of sprung wire, almost the length of the wagon, protruding out from the back of each coupler pocket and both running loose through a sleeve - think small gauge wire insulation - and we have automatic centring. (I haven't done this bit yet).

Dudley

post-6358-0-44659900-1376080382_thumb.jpg

post-6358-0-20746100-1376080411_thumb.jpg

Archived