Weathered LMS Locomotives

I have to agree with others on here, this is top of the class on how to make a convincing job of weathering a loco.

The only thing missing is a few whisps of steam and water dripping from pipes and could be the real thing!

When I tackle an attempt at weathering I shall be re-reading the methods you`ve described on here.

Jim.

I have to agree with others on here, this is top of the class on how to make a convincing job of weathering a loco.

The only thing missing is a few whisps of steam and water dripping from pipes and could be the real thing!

When I tackle an attempt at weathering I shall be re-reading the methods you`ve described on here.

Jim.

Thanks so much Jim. More will be on the way shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest Jubilee, an ex work model of Crewe North's 5578 United Provinces. This was the latest Bachmann model of Madras, re-numbered and detailed, still needs Gibson bogie wheels. Tried to get the fresh oily/greasy apoearence on the motion work that I've seen in a few colour photos I've seen, probably a bit over done though. I've also 95% finished another Jubilee, 5594 Bhopal in the experimental 1946 Crimson Lake only applied to it. That and 6256 Sir William will be the next models shown most likely.

post-3094-0-67858800-1527506884_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-79497900-1527506948_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-80001700-1527507069_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-65612800-1527507174_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got time to take some photos of my Royal engine in the sun. Besides giving the wheels a clean, all that is needed now is to put the bypass valves on her. The first 5 had these instead of cylinder drain cocks on the cylinders, i don't know of anyone that makes them currently but Brassmasters and Hornby will be making them for their kit and the new streamlined engines, though i really probably should have scratched built them, oh well.

post-3094-0-29269900-1529647558_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-43605400-1529647585_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-54941100-1529647634_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-85001100-1529647659_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-13385600-1529647683_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-17903400-1529647713_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-22984100-1529647748_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have to admit to being particularly blown away by the black 5. First class work. pretty much faultless, I'd say.

Thanks for sharing and talking through the process.

Black 5. I think if you look close enough under the weathering, you might see it's a Royal Scot. ;)

• Like 1

Some excellent work here Broc , thanks for sharing and keep them coming. :)

Thanks mate, hoping to get a few done tjis weekend, I've got a Super D and two Crimson Lake locos, a Pat and a Jubilee.

Nice work again and great pictures. It might seem unusual but I find all  the pictures enhanced by the ballasted piece of track you use for the photos. It seems to add to the general work worn look of the locos.

Thanks for posting them.

Jim.

Nice work again and great pictures. It might seem unusual but I find all the pictures enhanced by the ballasted piece of track you use for the photos. It seems to add to the general work worn look of the locos.

Thanks for posting them.

Jim.

Thanks Jim. My little display track is a test piece to see what method i will use when i start to make my model of Crewe North shed. This is just Treemendus "Earth Powder" spread over brushed on PVA. The next little display track i will try Chris Nevard's method of ballast then applying Das Clay to create the ash ballast look.

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful piece of weathering... yes. just right!!  Some lovely textures and finishes.

You're the one to be giving tips and advice... so tell us how you did it!!

He practised on the railway room? in the background!

Just found this thread.

Hi Brocp, I've been lurking around your thread for a while now as I have a lot of stuff to weather for my project and your weathering is just right for my late fifties period too, the 'in service look' is what we term it in our group. Some special cleaning for particular duties like your Duchess to the down at heel of the Compound it all looks just right.

My only gripe would be the lamps, as a manufacturer of lamps I have studied many photos looking for lamps of various types and I'm afraid to tell you that LMS lamps were in fact black, strange as it may seem, maybe the LMS didn't place so much importance to the display of lamps as they could be difficult to spot. The LM region of BR kept the black lamps right up to around 1960 though it only seemed to apply to the standard square lamp, there are photos of white lamps being used on the LMR in the fifties but usually they have been on locos from other areas like locos from Scottish region working down South.

Please don't take this as a criticism as I'm amazed at the weathering you have done and I hope you don't mind if I copy your techniques.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the feedback. It's one of those little things you can miss but once you know they're there you can't miss them. I know the LMS had white lamps for the Royal Train and also I've got a photo of 6254 pulling empty Royal Train stock with white lamps. From now on all of my stock will have black lamps (unless i find a photo to say otherwise) and I'll eventually get around to repainting the ones already done. Thanks for the kind words about the weathering, i really appreicate it.

• RMweb Gold

Black 5. I think if you look close enough under the weathering, you might see it's a Royal Scot. ;)

Eek!

Absolutely, and an error of thoroughly school boy proportions.

Many thanks for setting me straight, without the deserved sound thrashing!

• 4 weeks later...

Still in Crimson Lake and basking in the late evening sun, 5520 Llandudno. Was a really badly weathered 5541 that i cleaned and started again on. Any and all comments welcome.

post-3094-0-21819800-1532760793_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-96252300-1532760891_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-41156100-1532760943_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-65415200-1532760995_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-38428500-1532761068_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-64719200-1532761111_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-78749700-1532761123_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-32917400-1532761139_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Still in Crimson Lake and basking in the late evening sun, 5520 Llandudno. Was a really badly weathered 5541 that i cleaned and started again on. Any and all comments welcome.

Any comment? Ok - looks bloody amazing!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

Absolutely stunning.............you should start a weathering business, you'd soon be more wealthy than Zuckerberg. Great stuff.

Rgds.......Mike

Absolutely stunning.............you should start a weathering business, you'd soon be more wealthy than Zuckerberg. Great stuff.

Rgds.......Mike

Thanks Mike, with how Facebook is going at the moment, that won't take long lol.

In all seriousness i am considering doing commissions soon. Will keep people posted on that.

This week saw a quickish project on my workbench. This time i decided to try doing some work without the airbrush first, instead using a wash from AK Interactive, "Engine Grime" as a base coat as it were on the model. This was liberally painted on, then nearly totally removed with white spirit. Then powders and free hand brush painting were used to achieve the finish. Probably not 100% done just yet judging by some things on the photos, but i think it has come up well.

This was my reference picture, used from Wikipedia, all rights etc are theres

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Class_G2A#/media/File%3ACrewe_Works_geograph-2606488-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

post-3094-0-59446200-1533087066_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-45888900-1533087093_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-45263700-1533087128_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-02764800-1533087148_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-04925100-1533087169_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-45785600-1533087187_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've been playing with a few AK interactive products and I have to say I'm enjoying using them and the effects they have.

One you might be interested in is their grease (AK2032) products which I think works nice on linkage, I'm only working in N gauge but I think it should work just as well.

Here's some lovely pictures of it in use....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109797-dirty-stuff/&do=findComment&comment=2353573

• RMweb Premium

This week saw a quickish project on my workbench. This time i decided to try doing some work without the airbrush first, instead using a wash from AK Interactive, "Engine Grime" as a base coat as it were on the model. This was liberally painted on, then nearly totally removed with white spirit. Then powders and free hand brush painting were used to achieve the finish. Probably not 100% done just yet judging by some things on the photos, but i think it has come up well.

This was my reference picture, used from Wikipedia, all rights etc are theres

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Class_G2A#/media/File%3ACrewe_Works_geograph-2606488-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

The tender is nice, though I doubt there'd ever be such an extent of dry (much less wet) oil around the axleboxes. The problem is, no loco would ever remain that clean (still with a satin s.box) coupled to such a filthy tender (except, of course in exceptional circumstances which tend not to be believable on a model). EDIT: just seen the wikipedia photo and yes, the prototype is not plausible! I wonder if it's part way through cleaning or repainting? Looks like the tender isn't finished yet: there's a clear vertical line where the muck stops and the clean paint starts. 

I hope you take this criticism in the constructive spirit in which it's intended! 

I've been playing with a few AK interactive products and I have to say I'm enjoying using them and the effects they have.

One you might be interested in is their grease (AK2032) products which I think works nice on linkage, I'm only working in N gauge but I think it should work just as well.

Here's some lovely pictures of it in use....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109797-dirty-stuff/&do=findComment&comment=2353573

Your post actually reminded me that I've got a bottle of this grease wash in my collection! It is great stuff and I'll definently use it on my next project.