Cornwall in the 1980s

BR(S)

What was the traffic in the single van coming into St Erth at that time?

I can think of two possibilities. Either motive power spares for the depot at Penzance, or it was actually bound for Truro and worked to Penzance and back to avoid having to shunt at Truro on both the outward and return trips.

I can think of two possibilities. Either motive power spares for the depot at Penzance, or it was actually bound for Truro and worked to Penzance and back to avoid having to shunt at Truro on both the outward and return trips.

Yes probably something like that. I don't think there was any revenue traffic that far west by then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I should ask this question in a relevant topic, but please move if required!

Cornish 47s

I'd be interested to know if anyone recalls 'regular' Class 47s in Cornwall during the mid/late 80s, perhaps on Speedlink or express runs? In the excellent pictures BR(S) linked to above, most 47s seem to be in BR Blue (small logos), as I do remember them at that time, and I also recall seeing one or two GW green ones after '85 at Penzance during my fleeting visits. However, I'd like to purchase a Bachmann 47 eventually for Cornish action, so it would be great to be able to focus on a couple of real locos that would have been seen around at that time, which I can aim to model.

Thanks for any help, and for the wonderful source of inspiration this Cornish forum is.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember seeing 47 606 Odin quite a bit as in the image below.  47 618 Fair Rosamund also sticks in the memory.  Cardiff or Old Oak allocated were the most common.

9-L.jpg

As most of the 47s came in on inter-regionals pretty much any of the eth fitted ones could turn up.  A selection from the mid to late 80s (I have not scanned all my 1988 - 1990 collection yet)

47 565 - another Cardiff one

26-L.jpg

47 584 County of Suffolk - from Stratford

28-L.jpg

47 443 - from Gateshead

50-L.jpg

47 575 - from Cardiff

CT%20014-L.jpg

47 631 - from Bescot

83-L.jpg

47 379 - from Tinsley

CT%2019854-L.jpg

47 213 - from Bristol

134-L.jpg

47 620 Windsor Castle - Old Oak

139-L.jpg

47 453 - Crewe

145-L.jpg

47 620 Windsor Castle again - Old Oak

167-L.jpg

• Like 10

Wonderful, thank you all! Far more detail and help than I expected, but true to the noble nature of RMweb. Excellent photos, too.

It does seem that almost any ETH 'Western 47' could turn up in those days. I'll have to start hunting for a model of one of these.

I have to say that this first pic from NCK below is amazing, and redoubles my hope to build an 80s Penzance layout one day.Sun, Sea and Such great locos! :-)

Alan

I seem to remember seeing 47 606 Odin quite a bit as in the image below.  47 618 Fair Rosamund also sticks in the memory.  Cardiff or Old Oak allocated were the most common.

9-L.jpg

As most of the 47s came in on inter-regionals pretty much any of the eth fitted ones could turn up.  A selection from the mid to late 80s (I have not scanned all my 1988 - 1990 collection yet)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...