Post Editing for brevity

backofanenvelope

Hello all,

I just wanted to seek peoples opinions on thread and post editing. In a post of a group I sub-moderate there is a post that includes the previous persons images which have not been edited out. Now I know I may be being a bit obsessive about this but I feel I should edit the posters entry to remove the unnecessary images. What do you think? and if it is edited should a PM be sent to let poster know as they maybe unaware of how to edit posts.

Regards

Tom

oops meant to add link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8147-3d-printing-class-25-parts/page-13

post 312

• RMweb Gold

I think it depends on how soon after the repeating post is after the original one. If the second one is on a later page, it helps to see the images if being referenced ( 'that piece of modelling is good') but immediately afterwards, or where the post just says "looking good", then yes, delete.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I'm all for keeping the Forum neat, and try to minimise the amount of quote to which I'm replying. Pics slow a thread down, particularly for those with slower connections, so eliminating them if possible must be good.

I am also a bit anal about duplicate postings, so was surprised to be told by a Sub-Forum owner yesterday that he had advised a poster to post his query again in the correct part of the forum. As a result, the poster failed to see the several responses to his original posting, thus wasting everyone's time. When I suggested this wasn't right, I was told the matter was too trivial to bother a Mod to move the original posting (it's not, IMHO, Mods always seem pleased to help) - and the matter was now closed.

Perfectly fine to exit a post to remove unnecessary quoting as it makes threads easier to read. We as an admin team will do such when we notice it.

We also agree with Ian that duplicate threads should be avoided and we have no issue with being contacted via the report button, which is the best way, and we can either merge or lock threads accordingly, don't worry about 'bothering' us as its one of the reasons we are here.

Archived