Every now and then I like to re-evaluate how I produce a varnished teak finish as applied to LNER coaches.
Since I first started reproducing teak in model form, a lot of the products I used are no longer available. Changes to the Royal Mail regulations banning the conveyance of enamel paints can make obtaining tinlets of specialised paints, such as the Phoenix range, expensive, unless you are fortunate to be visiting an exhibition where they are stocked.
My next statement may sound odd, but I am finding the use of typical enamel paints increasingly difficult to use as they seem to dry too quickly. I also find that what works one day, may not give such good results on another. Apart for weather differences just changing a brush can make a difference.
So I have decided to go back to my roots and adapt a technique I have used in the past, suitably modified. The method is very forgiving and does not noticeably obscure details. I am aware that there are lots of other techniques around, some looking better than other, but this is the one that suits me the most.
For the purpose of this demonstration I am using some spare bodies from the earlier Gresley range now under the Railroad range.
So lets start with a photo of the prototype:
Closer examination suggests that a base colour of orange with some form of transparent graining would give the depth of the real thing. This simple observation is the basis of many teaking techniques.
So my first stage is to spray the coach with Halfords White Plastic Primer. Oranges and yellows tend not to be as opaque as the darker colours so a white base proves invaluable. On top of this I have applied two coats of Vallejo Light Orange and a final coat of Humbrol Clear to seal it:
To apply the base I use a 1/2" Golden Taklon brush after masking the roof line with Tamiya masking tape. When dry the tape is removed and the Clear applied:
I mentioned brushes and find the Golden Taklon brushes ideal for the job. They are available as assorted packs from art and craft shops. These ones by Royal & Langnickel are exceptionally good value, containing 1", 3/4" and 1/2" for £2.99 from a branch of The Range:
Let the base coat and the Clear harden for a couple of hours and reapply the masking tape.
For the graining layers I use artists oil colours combining Burnt Umber with Windsor and Newton Liquin Original medium in roughly equal quantities. Very little is used as can be seen in the following image. I buy packs of 50 foil ashtrays from the pound shops which make excellant mixing pallettes:
Edited by MikeTrice, 29 September 2013 - 10:34 .