Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Them Swindon guys would claim credit for anything ............

I've found the reference in Great Western Locomotive Design - A Critical Appreciation by the Rev John Gibson (who I think considered himself a Cirencester man first and a Swindon man second)

"On page 97 of his book The Development of British Locomotive Design  E.L.Ahrons states that he had it on good authority that H.A.Ivatt derived the idea for the wide firebox on his famous large Atlantics from the broad gauge engines". But admittedly Ahrons was a Swindon man too.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• 4 weeks later...

E-mail from Rails today confirms they aren't honouring the original pre-order price like they did with my Merchant Navy, boo. Still, what's an extra tenner, aye?

Edit: I just hope it performs okay and isn't super over-sensitive to difficult point work like Hornby's original  "un re-built" Merchant Navys.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Gold

E-mail from Rails today confirms they aren't honouring the original pre-order price like they did with my Merchant Navy, boo. Still, what's an extra tenner, aye?

Edit: I just hope it performs okay and isn't super over-sensitive to difficult point work like Hornby's original  "un re-built" Merchant Navys.

I suppose I haven't run my Channel Packet a lot, but it has seemed at home over both Peco Code 75 and 83 pointwork. How did your problems manifest themselves? 

I suppose I haven't run my Channel Packet a lot, but it has seemed at home over both Peco Code 75 and 83 pointwork. How did your problems manifest themselves?

Either the bogies lift off on curves or the tender derails pulls the back of the loco off the track (it is on the loose coupled setting), it does alright on my outer loop but not the inner one, in some cases it works fine without carriages but as soon as you add carriages, the front end starts lifting up, it just doesn't seem very manoeuvrable, I wish it performed more like the S15 in terms of handling track work, that has no trouble, see here

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/965934468396707840?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

The Merchant Navy on the same route completely leaves the track on almost every point lol but that is a discussion for the Merchant Navy thread, it does perform fine on my outer loop and I hope the H2 will too. Really not a fan of the fixed cab bogie wheels. They look so silly hanging off the track on curves >.< hoping the H2 ones will at least move a little bit like the E4's.

If a Hornby Merchant Navy derails it probably means that you have got a faulty model and you should send it back to Hornby to repair it. I have got two airsmoothed Merchant Navy locomotives and they stay on the rails very well. Unfortunately that is not the case with all my locomotives.

Although Rails have not honoured their pre-order price it looks like the cheapest place to buy an H2 with a price of £161.46 and a price promise of 10-25% less than the recommended retail price. Not sure if they will keep to this as their Sir William Stanier locomotive ended up at considerably more than this.

Hattons originally offered 31-920 H2 St Albans Head at a pre-order price of £89 in 2015. Now the RRP has more than doubled. I wish the same could be said of my income. Now Hattons is offering 31-920 with a name change to South Foreland at a pre-order price of £161.46 plus £4 which is the same as Peter's Spares.

Gaugemaster is offering it for £170 which is about the same price as a local model shop would sell it for if they offer a 10% discount. If Hattons and Rails increase the price to £170 you might as well cancel the order and get it at your local shop.

If you wait a couple of years, assuming that Bachmann have produced it by then, you may be able to get one for £89 as a Hattons bargain like the Bachmann E4s.

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 1

......................... you might as well cancel the order and get it at your local ( implies model ) shop.

Local shop !!?! ........ c'mon, Hobbytimes has been closed for donkey's years  -  most people's local shop is here on this inter-web thingy or whatever show they go to next ........ an' there's certainly no guarantee of discounts there !!

Certainly no local model shops in Brighton anymore , unless you're after some Hornby Triang from Brighton Toy & Model Museum.

Nearest to me are Lancing, Eastbourne and Ford, but I wouldn't consider any of them particularly local...

Edited because I somehow managed to type 'your'er'...

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

Certainly no local model shops in Brighton anymore , unless your'er after some Hornby Triang from Brighton Toy & Model Museum.

Nearest to me are Lancing, Eastbourne and Ford, but I wouldn't consider any of them particularly local...

There is also the Bluebell Railway shop at Sheffield Park. Good range of Bachmann, Hornby & Dapol.

They also take pre- orders. This now my nearest shop since the demise of the Hobby Box in Uckfield.

• Like 1

There is also the Bluebell Railway shop at Sheffield Park. Good range of Bachmann, Hornby & Dapol.

They also take pre- orders. This now my nearest shop since the demise of the Hobby Box in Uckfield.

Yes, I always make a point of visiting the shop whenever I'm at Sheffield Park ......... take a glance in the model displays, shudder at the prices and come out with a book or magazine, perhaps .......

• 2 weeks later...

New update on availability list on the 1 March announced for August 2018, now new update 6 March new list as TBA, we all know what that means, delay again for both SR, BR H2 and for the LBSCR H1  :O

Hopefully it is coming this year and not another long waiting period.

I recently changed the location of my layout to being loosely based on Hove, been researching local services, there is an abundance of photos of H2s on the Brighton-Bournemouth service in the 50s and that is the arrangement of route discs I plan to give mine, can I assume they would have been on the service in the 40s too? If not, I guess it'll be a Rule One job ;)

• RMweb Gold

New update on availability list on the 1 March announced for August 2018, now new update 6 March new list as TBA, we all know what that means, delay again for both SR, BR H2 and for the LBSCR H1  :O

Hopefully it is coming this year and not another long waiting period.

More time to save up the cash! Plus to ease the cashflow hopefully the H1 and H2 don't arrive at the same time...

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Bradley states that in the ‘50s the Atlantics were a reliable first reserve for more modern power on the Bournemouths and Plymouths. Given that these locos were now typically over a million miles old that is rather pleasing. In the Post-war period they had been covering the reinstated Newhaven boat trains as well as certain trains via Uckfield etc. It is very likely that they also got pressed into service on what we might now call West Coastway.

• Like 1

Been researching H2 services a lot lately online, making me very excited for the model, the only frustrating thing is online there seems to be loads of photos of them in the 50s, and loads of photos of them in LBSCR days, but there is a severe lacking of photos of them online between 1923-1950, mine is going to be operating in 1943/4.

Edit: I know wartime photograph is very limited, but heck I just typed "LBSCR H2 1930s" and all but 2 photos are either BR or LBSCR era photos, where's all the Southern era photos at?

Edit Two: Thank goodness at least for the Mike Morant Collection https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LBSCR-tender-locomotives/LBSCR-H2/

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

Bradley states that in the ‘50s the Atlantics were a reliable first reserve for more modern power on the Bournemouths and Plymouths. Given that these locos were now typically over a million miles old that is rather pleasing. In the Post-war period they had been covering the reinstated Newhaven boat trains as well as certain trains via Uckfield etc. It is very likely that they also got pressed into service on what we might now call West Coastway.

There is a description of a run from Brighton to Bournemouth and back on 32421 South Foreland in "On Engines" by P. Ransome-Wallis. He says that the eight coach train seemed to be the limit, and that was with a lot of hard work from the crew.

Thank you. I was wondering why I hadn't got that email so I checked my Rails Account only to discover that I'd not even placed the pre-order. I have now. 

Edited by Anglian

Been researching H2 services a lot lately online, making me very excited for the model, the only frustrating thing is online there seems to be loads of photos of them in the 50s, and loads of photos of them in LBSCR days, but there is a severe lacking of photos of them online between 1923-1950, mine is going to be operating in 1943/4.

Edit: I know wartime photograph is very limited, but heck I just typed "LBSCR H2 1930s" and all but 2 photos are either BR or LBSCR era photos, where's all the Southern era photos at?

Edit Two: Thank goodness at least for the Mike Morant Collection https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LBSCR-tender-locomotives/LBSCR-H2/

Here's one from a 1945 published book, so must been from before that date, and one of topic , but i know you like that one , it's  your Royal Mail loco.

You will find more special picture's in old railwaybooks, those picture's you will never find on the net, try to find some in old second hand book stores,

and especcialy those published before the fifties

, you will be amased what you find in there.I payed just a few euro's for the most of them, I also have one weighing nearly 5 kilo's and 1500 pages

only a few pounds in your money so to say 1 pound a kilo, stuffed with the most amazing information.

post-17668-0-42809200-1520548500_thumb.jpg

post-17668-0-07949300-1520548514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 3

I'll keep an eye out for any, I think I've found more photos of Trevose Head than any other H2, any photos of steam locos I can find on the coastal railway through Hove pre-BR are always welcome! Plenty of photos of BR steam services to Horsham coming through Hove, and as mentioned before plenty of photos of H2s, mostly Trevose Head on the Brighton - Bournemouth service in the 50s.

Been clutching at straws to try and find a photo of an original Merchant Navy in the area, found photos of BoBs and WCs taking over Cardiff - Brighton services at Bournemouth, was hoping one MN might have done it one day on the off chance there was nothing else avaliable... :P

Been clutching at straws to try and find a photo of an original Merchant Navy in the area, found photos of BoBs and WCs taking over Cardiff - Brighton services at Bournemouth, was hoping one MN might have done it one day on the off chance there was nothing else avaliable... :P

That's what rule #1 is for! ;)

• Like 1

Edit: I just hope it performs okay and isn't super over-sensitive to difficult point work like Hornby's original "un re-built" Merchant Navys.

The best example of how the atlantics will perform would be the Bachmann/NRM atlantics.

That's what rule #1 is for!  ;)

Rule #1 is for elastic route restrictions .......................... er  -  among other things !

• RMweb Gold

I'll keep an eye out for any, I think I've found more photos of Trevose Head than any other H2, any photos of steam locos I can find on the coastal railway through Hove pre-BR are always welcome! Plenty of photos of BR steam services to Horsham coming through Hove, and as mentioned before plenty of photos of H2s, mostly Trevose Head on the Brighton - Bournemouth service in the 50s.

Nice try.....but changeover was Salisbury and surely not Bournemouth.Though if you have photo evidence of such an event,I'd be intrigued to see it.To the best of my recollection,MN's did not work east of Southampton Central on the coast line.In BR days,Brighton had an allocation of five WC pacifics mainly for working Brighton-Plymouth/Cardiff trains as far as Saisbury on an out and home basis.

Rails did not honour their pre-order prices for the Hornby H class.

They will only honour the price if they are still making a profit (decent or otherwise), they wont honour it if they would lose money on it.

This is why some shops have stopped putting prices on items with a potential long lead time.

• Like 1