Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

• 2 weeks later...

The discussion relating to cranked connecting rods (or con-rods, but not "cranks"), plus the middle steps and the side-play in all of the wheel sets repeats a series of known knowns (with thanks to Mr Rumsfeld) established by those who own the parent Ivatt Atlantic model, whose chassis inevitably shares the same characteristics. The O4 (ROD) that went before had the same bent con-rod arrangement too. A number of us HAVE successfully straightened such con-rods on those models if the full sideplay on the driving and coupled wheels was not required. Washers to control the wheel sideplay are of course required, and I deemed it prudent to fix a reinforcing strip of thin nickel silver to the inside face of each straightened rod, as even with great care, signs of cracking tend to appear where the bends in the top and bottom webs previously where. It might be sufficient to use strong glue to attach the reinforcing strip to a well cleaned and abraded inner face of the rod, but I preferred to attempt to tin the inner face of the rod with 145C solder (which worked) and then solder on the extra strip. I had no problems with over-travel of the crosshead on the forward stroke after straightening the con-rods, but I believe I trimmed a tiny amount off the front of each piston rod to ensure that it did not strike the front of the cylinder moulding.

This information is of course of no use to anybody wishing to rely on the warranty.....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

Incase anyone missed it, model Rail uploaded a short running video, I am reassured by how well it handles relatively tight point work =) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=reqpFJFGtCU

Thank you for the link. Very impressive, and even more enjoyable with the sound muted.

While it is this BR Black cash-cow version that will bring the greatest return, I remain eager to see a release announced using the "as built" tooling, complete with bogie brakes, that was shown early on as an EP. 

All very mysterious that no hint of a production version has been forthcoming since.  Bachmann give little away, even in response to direct questions, so the mystery must continue.

Little known fact. When they went to Bournemouth, they were regulars on the Somerset & Dorset. Can't imagine how Ivo Peters managed NOT to photograph at least one. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  Looks like mine might be waiting for me when I return from Australia.

• Like 2

Thank you for the link. Very impressive, and even more enjoyable with the sound muted.

While it is this BR Black cash-cow version that will bring the greatest return, I remain eager to see a release announced using the "as built" tooling, complete with bogie brakes, that was shown early on as an EP. 

All very mysterious that no hint of a production version has been forthcoming since.  Bachmann give little away, even in response to direct questions, so the mystery must continue.

The alternative to the music is the office background noise, phones ringing etc, as the test track sits between the railway titles and a whole bunch of car magazines. In future we may try filming at my home instead, but on this occasion, I was on holiday out of the country when the review sample was tested.  (CJL)

The discussion relating to cranked connecting rods (or con-rods, but not "cranks"), plus the middle steps and the side-play in all of the wheel sets repeats a series of known knowns (with thanks to Mr Rumsfeld) established by those who own the parent Ivatt Atlantic model, whose chassis inevitably shares the same characteristics. The O4 (ROD) that went before had the same bent con-rod arrangement too. A number of us HAVE successfully straightened such con-rods on those models if the full sideplay on the driving and coupled wheels was not required. Washers to control the wheel sideplay are of course required, and I deemed it prudent to fix a reinforcing strip of thin nickel silver to the inside face of each straightened rod, as even with great care, signs of cracking tend to appear where the bends in the top and bottom webs previously where. It might be sufficient to use strong glue to attach the reinforcing strip to a well cleaned and abraded inner face of the rod, but I preferred to attempt to tin the inner face of the rod with 145C solder (which worked) and then solder on the extra strip. I had no problems with over-travel of the crosshead on the forward stroke after straightening the con-rods, but I believe I trimmed a tiny amount off the front of each piston rod to ensure that it did not strike the front of the cylinder moulding.

This information is of course of no use to anybody wishing to rely on the warranty.....

That is informative in that it can be done.

Maybe an alteration to try after it's passed it's warranty date and had a bit of use then.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My review of the H2 is in the October issue of BRM for which the digital version went live yesterday and a version on my blog at https://grahammuz.com/2018/09/07/the-Bachmann-ex-lbscr-h2-class-brighton-atlantic-4-4-2-grace-and-presence-in-one-locomotive/

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My review of the H2 is in the October issue of BRM for which the digital version went live yesterday and a version on my blog at https://grahammuz.com/2018/09/07/the-Bachmann-ex-lbscr-h2-class-brighton-atlantic-4-4-2-grace-and-presence-in-one-locomotive/

Excellent review Graham,  thank you.   Looking forward to receiving mine from Model Railways Direct all the way to here in Christchurch NZ shortly.

I bet we all know of the replica built at the Bluebell Railway, but what about Bachmann producing a promotional model to help support the funds for the new-build replica?

In the past Bachmann have donated money from the sale of the sheffield park station buildings. So hopefully they will do a similar thing with the model of Beachy Head they are releasing.

Edited by Pre Grouping fan

• RMweb Gold

I bet we all know of the replica built at the Bluebell Railway, but what about Bachmann producing a promotional model to help support the funds for the new-build replica?

The Replica they are building is 32424 Beachy Head.

That’s the same model Bachmann is making.

The Replica they are building is 32424 Beachy Head.

That’s the same model Bachmann is making.

My Bluebell collection is starting to look very UN-prototypical for any time period. Beachy Head is a good few years from being complete but most of my collection is 80s or 90s with some covering post 2000.

The day I build the Sheffield Park with those Bachmann buildings, I will have people saying "The Q1 never run with Beachy Head". "Bluebell was not in that colour with Stowe". "The USA tank has been out of service for years". "Your 9F has the wrong tender". "9017 was not running with Birch Grove in that colour".

I won't to do all this in DCC but, the worst thing of course is that the sound fitted Adams radial is in EKR colours, something she never carried in preservation.

My Bluebell collection is starting to look very UN-prototypical for any time period. Beachy Head is a good few years from being complete but most of my collection is 80s or 90s with some covering post 2000.

The day I build the Sheffield Park with those Bachmann buildings, I will have people saying "The Q1 never run with Beachy Head". "Bluebell was not in that colour with Stowe". "The USA tank has been out of service for years". "Your 9F has the wrong tender". "9017 was not running with Birch Grove in that colour".... the sound fitted Adams radial is in EKR colours, something she never carried in preservation.

Have you considered that they don't all have to be on view simultaneously? You could roll through the years with only 'correct' combinations of stock on view at any one time. Then you can finish up with any combination you like to include Beachy Head and the EKR liveried Radial tank alongside the class 666 'Rulebreaker' fuel cell-electric stock on the Eastbourne-Edinburgh-Eire Irish Sea Bridge/Thamestink services of 2044.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you considered that they don't all have to be on view simultaneously? You could roll through the years with only 'correct' combinations of stock on view at any one time. Then you can finish up with any combination you like to include Beachy Head and the EKR liveried Radial tank alongside the class 666 'Rulebreaker' fuel cell-electric stock on the Eastbourne-Edinburgh-Eire Irish Sea Bridge/Thamestink services of 2044.

Agree..

One thing about preserved lines.. is they don’t age very much.

The stock changes (and don’t forget locos are hired in and have galas, renumber for a weekend etc etc)... but the architecture changes much slower than the rest of the world, similarly accurate to a date authenticity of a preserved railway is largely nil.. when I saw pictures of a king on mk3’s air braked on the royal train at the Severn valley, then you truly know anything is possible.

Edited by adb968008

Have you considered that they don't all have to be on view simultaneously? You could roll through the years with only 'correct' combinations of stock on view at any one time. Then you can finish up with any combination you like to include Beachy Head and the EKR liveried Radial tank alongside the class 666 'Rulebreaker' fuel cell-electric stock on the Eastbourne-Edinburgh-Eire Irish Sea Bridge/Thamestink services of 2044.

Agree..

One thing about preserved lines.. is they don’t age very much.

The stock changes (and don’t forget locos are hired in and have galas, renumber for a weekend etc etc)... but the architecture changes much slower than the rest of the world, similarly accurate to a date authenticity of a preserved railway is largely nil.. when I saw pictures of a king on mk3’s air braked on the royal train at the Severn valley, then you truly know anything is possible.

Thanks guys.

The engine shed on the end of the platform of Sheffield Park (the station Bachmann modeled) is changing as we speak to become some big modern museum like building. I'll do it as I remembered it which is fine for most locos but not Beachy Head of course.

Mind you they started the project in the early/mid 90s (I know online data says much later, but bits were already laying around the loco yard when I visited the Bluebell at that time), I'll just imagine the project happened a lot faster than it did.

One thing the line never had was 3rd rail. And I do love the sounds of EMUs....