Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

I am surprised at Hattons offering the Bachmann 31-021 H2 Atlantic for £139 in their 12 deals of Christmas. I thought that Hattons had sold out of their pre-order,were not getting any fresh supplies from Bachmann and the maximum discount they could offer was 15%.

Pity it's the BR(S) version, rather than the SR one, otherwise I would have succumbed to temptation, despite the 1932 renumbering.....

• RMweb Gold

Can confirm, as I was the one who bought the other one, Will arrive, will run, is genuine but doesn't come with the box, manual or detailing bag. Very confused as to how this person has ended up with these, and why they're selling them for nearly 100 quid under RRP, makes me think that maybe a worker took some home?

Edit: I've just seen it's listed as "Bachrnann" :laugh:

I recieved a class 47 from the same source.

I bought it for the chassis.

The body finish, wasnt quite the same as a finished / boxed new example i bought of the same model.

it works as it should, has marks, has been handled, but the texture finish just doesnt feel right maybe its not varnished finished or something, its much easier marked than a boxed new one.

How / Why, i dont know, but it doesnt feel the same as a “new” boxed one, but side by side you cant really tell, it could be innocent, long exposure in a dry climate.. i dont know.

Note the model is from Taiwan, the models are made in China, there is limited trade between those territories, which means Hong Kong probably comes into it.

Unrelated, but I know in Kowloon there is a market stall that used to sell all kinds of model railway bits that looks like factory rejects, on Temple Street, bits varied from complete models to boxes of broken bits.

Coming back to this one, Royal Mail will catch it, thats £8 for their trouble and 20% VAT on top... so £79+£12 p&p and expect £24 on top of this for the Sheriff to pay Robin Hood and his benefits boys, £115.. not quite as attractive as it started,.

Edited by adb968008

The body finish, wasnt quite the same as a finished / boxed new example i bought of the same model.

it works as it should, has marks, has been handled, but the texture finish just doesnt feel right maybe its not varnished finished or something, its much easier marked than a boxed new one.

How / Why, i dont know, but it doesnt feel the same as a “new” boxed one, but side by side you cant really tell, it could be innocent, long exposure in a dry climate.. i dont know.

Note the model is from Taiwan, the models are made in China, there is limited trade between those territories, which means Hong Kong probably comes into it.

Unrelated, but I know in Kowloon there is a market stall that used to sell all kinds of model railway bits that looks like factory rejects, on Temple Street, bits varied from complete models to boxes of broken bits.

Coming back to this one, Royal Mail will catch it, thats £8 for their trouble and 20% VAT on top... so £79+£12 p&p and expect £24 on top of this for the Sheriff to pay Robin Hood and his benefits boys, £115.. not quite as attractive as it started,.

Is it possible they are factory 'seconds' that were rejected but have been picked up on the black market?

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible they are factory 'seconds' that were rejected but have been picked up on the black market?

I was once walking down this road in Malaysia (Penang).. it was dark, no streetlights, I saw a light ahead in the centre of the road. With my colleague we speculated as to why it was in the centre, probably a car with missing headlight, or a truck.

A few minutes later two motorbikes, one without a lights on the inside, balancing a large panel board across both saddles, with two kids lying down on the board holding the steering for dear life, whilst two others standing on the board holding an upright wardrobe drove past... the peddle was tied down... how it’s going to stop is anyone’s guess.

It’s Asia,

Anything is possible.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Living in NZ has its perks £79 + £12 p&p and it's under the threshold for customs to pick up, which works out to be approx $170NZD on my front porch - then a quick call to Bachmann and £7 inc p&p for a detail bag - I'm happy! I do agree with you about the finish, something isn't quite the same, maybe the quality of the plastic? It ended up being repainted anyways so I wasn't too worried:

31404770457_01ef696015_b.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

Impressive lining! Was that done with transfers or a bow pen?

I'd love to be able to line like this with a bow pen, I almost think some of the curved lines would've been easier.

The entire thing was lined with HMRS straight lining transfers, much poking and prodding and swearing was required to get most of the tricky parts done!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Out of interest, has anyone tried to remove the numbering on the SR Green version? Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to do it.

Yes - I was able to do so successfully with Brasso and a cotton bud.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

No damage to the paint finish?

Brasso will polish the paint finish so that it is shiny rather than matt. However, one would normally apply transfers after removing the number, and these need to be sealed with a matt varnish in any event, which will then make the polishing invisible.

Here is an example of my renumbered H2:

32596061807_d603f5e226_h.jpgBrighton Atlantic on the test tracks by James Petts, on Flickr

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Very Nice! I need to get some brasso at any rate - Mine is set to become B421 (As opposed to 2421).

Ahh, a spot of backdating! Splendid. You may also need to remove the name and add an oval plate in place of the number on the back of the tender to take it back to the 1920s (although I am not sure whether they bore names before the 1931 renumbering, so I am not entirely sure about removing the name).

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The names were late-'20s additions and are more of a faff to remove than it's worth. But yes, I will at some point place an order with Narrow Planet for early SR number plates.

I shall be interested to see the results!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Understand Bachmann presented the Atlantic Project with a hefty cheque on Saturday ............ and I believe they took some interest in the next loco the Project are considering recreating - S.E.C.R. 'E' class 4-4-0 no.516 - which purely by coincidence (??!?) happened to be announced that very same morning.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Beachy Head project has been decades in the making. What is their proposed timescale for a newbuild E?

Definitely a good loco to produce for one of the mainstream manufacturers with other SECR stuff having been produced in recent years.

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Indeed, over 10k was donated just from sales of the Beachy Head model.

Certainly wouldn't say no to a Bachmann E Class if they were to do a model

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Understand Bachmann presented the Atlantic Project with a hefty cheque on Saturday ............ and I believe they took some interest in the next loco the Project are considering recreating - S.E.C.R. 'E' class 4-4-0 no.516 - which purely by coincidence (??!?) happened to be announced that very same morning.

Bachy are probably not alone about considering an E. There are rumours about DElightful stuff maybe appearing from the red box team too.

• Like 2