acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A start has been made on the window cutting out...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The walls are not yet attached.

gallery_681_3268_146360.jpg

Whilst it is a very plain looking building it does have a quite complex window and panels arrangement. All the windows on these two wall are cut out and the second layer of panelling added.

I think I will give it all a quick coat of grey primer so that any edges that show won't be white.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The front walls have had a quick squirt of grey primer, I’m wondering if using a stone effect spray can will give a good finish rather than using loads of Scalescenes pebbledash.

gallery_681_3268_1401705.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As a side project, bus rather than railway related Ive been making a display box for my Brighton Blue buses destination blind. Made from spare 6mm ply some batten and a couple of broom handles from Wilko.....all very high tech. I've also found a nice 3ft LED batten fitting

to illuminate it.

gallery_681_3476_56290.jpg

gallery_681_3476_75324.jpggallery_681_3476_133899.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As a side project, bus rather than railway related Ive been making a display box for my Brighton Blue buses destination blind. Made from spare 6mm ply some batten and a couple of broom handles from Wilko.....all very high tech. I've also found a nice 3ft LED batten fitting

to illuminate it.

gallery_681_3476_56290.jpg

gallery_681_3476_75324.jpggallery_681_3476_133899.jpg

Mile Oak?

• RMweb Premium

I’ve made a start on the Kensington High St side of the building. I’ll get some pics up shortly. On a trip to Wilko’s today I managed to get some stone effect spray paint. I’ve done a test on some grey undercoated card and I’m very pleased with the results, again I’ll get some pics loaded shortly. And finally today I’ve finished framing out the bus blind and it is now illuminated with a 900mm LED tube from Toolstation. It’s starting to look the business....photos to follow.

• RMweb Premium

This view shows the start of the High Street Kensington side of the building. Other than a couple of long shots I've failed to come up with any other images of its time as the TWA terminal. It does feature in an episode of Minder and an episode of the Profesionals but 99% of the content is inside the building. The only useful thing is that the Minder episode shows that the Russell Rd side of the building the flat roof at 1st floor level looks like it was part of a canopy and it looks like the building has been extended further out under it probably when it became a hotel.

I’ve just found the Sweeney Episode, Latin Lady has a sequence outside the Russell Rd entrance. It unfortunately shows that the bit that looks like an extension is exactly that, not even a canopy it’s all new.....! Oh well too far along to go back now so my building will have the extension but now made to look like it was always there.

gallery_681_3268_997419.jpeg

This is sample of the stone effect paint. The small square is neat on to white card, the larger area has been sprayed with grey primer first and think it looks OK. It goes on quite bumpy but when dry its not so pronounced.

gallery_681_3268_25468.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A nice day at the Yorkshire NGS meeting at weekend saw some more progress on the TWA building.

The two blocks are now one.

gallery_681_3268_131470.jpg

Here are four out of the five walls with most window openings cut. The righthand wall is the Kensington High St side and still needs its ground floor windows etc cut out. Below the last set of windows is road level so it needs to set correctly.

gallery_681_3268_33642.jpg

The walls propped up on the building. Road level is the first ink line up from the bottom.

gallery_681_3268_78703.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Quite a bit more progress with the TWA building. I’ve also discovered another 1980s TV series it has stared in....The Hammer House of Horror. An episode called Children of the Full Moon.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gi8ui

The building appears straight after the titles and shows what the odd looking LH end of the Russell Rd side was, an undercover entrance for coaches....so I will need to cut a hole in the wall for this. The entrance has now been blocked up and a set of double doors inserted in the new wall. Oh well Sod’s law that I find that image this late in the game.

I’ll add some pictures tomorrow.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

I've been an enthusiastic follower of Grahame's thread and now I'm loving this one, too! My own building plans have been held up by some problems about fitting the structures into the available space, so I'm most impressed by the scale of this building.

Most of all, though, is the sheer awesomeness of using episodes of The Sweeney as a modelling reference.

Jim

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Prosperus New Year...........................and in a not so serious mood.........the alcohol hasn't even started yet!

The Minions dont seem to be getting much track laying done on the layout, lying down on the job too!

gallery_681_3476_1843.jpg

gallery_681_3476_977034.jpg

The Brighton Corporation bus destination is finished and blinged up for Christmas..........

gallery_681_3476_593393.jpg

We had some good news on Friday that our planning permission has been granted........for hobby room read layout room! and I'm doing my first Railway Book which hopefully will be out during the summer next year.......then probably five more afterwards.

gallery_681_3476_807946.jpg

gallery_681_3476_308646.jpg

84161-img-6240

• Like 8

Good news on the planning front, hobby room looks a little small have you thought about installing a beam through to,the outside wall on the left should you ever want to knock through into the garage space.

Loving the minion lights

• RMweb Premium

Good news on the planning front, hobby room looks a little small have you thought about installing a beam through to,the outside wall on the left should you ever want to knock through into the garage space.

Loving the minion lights

Ha ha, that’s an idea I don’t think I’d get away with. Room is more than big enough for Olympia and work bench etc and leaves the garage big enough for our current car. One of our goals was not to make the house any bigger than the existing footprint, just much more useable.

The Minions came from Aldi Christmas 2016.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Andy,

Have you seen the article in this months rail express February 2018

There is an article on the west London line

Lots of pictures on Olympia as well

Yes I have, thank you, one of my old work colleagues tipped me off. I have bought a copy. Most of the pictures I have seen before as they are from the Rail online website. The photos at Wandsworth common were new to me. Useful article with details of the many freight workings, wish they had put in some dates but the article is subtitled 60s and early 70s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nearly a month since the last posting, not good. Off to the NGS meeting on Saturday where I might make some progress on the TWA building. I did spray it with the stone effect paint and it looked.......bloody awful.......so it’s been resprayed in undercoat for me to hand paint it with lighter tones.

I like ferry wagons and this is very interesting shame it’s to 1/160 but I might still get one or two

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/newsletter.211/items/newslettere464.html

• RMweb Premium

Nearly a month since the last posting, not good. Off to the NGS meeting on Saturday where I might make some progress on the TWA building. I did spray it with the stone effect paint and it looked.......bloody awful.......so it’s been resprayed in undercoat for me to hand paint it with lighter tones.

I like ferry wagons and this is very interesting shame it’s to 1/160 but I might still get one or two

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/newsletter.211/items/newslettere464.html

Don't worry. They'll be like the old Airfix Interfrigo wagons - made to 00/H0 constant scale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well he who hesitates.....https://www.en.dm-toys.de/newsletter.211/items/newslettere464.html they have all sold out in a little over a week. I’m sure as they have been so popular that a rerun will be arranged.

The TWA building is coming along very slowly, glued all the outside walls on after I thought I’d done all the windows that couldn’t be accessed from the rear only to discover one complete vertical run of windows I could get to! Knife out again and wall removed. I’ll get a few progress pictures done shortly.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of progress yesterday at the York area NGS meeting. Quite a lot of the windows added into the TWA building.

gallery_681_3268_112842.jpg

gallery_681_3268_33679.jpg

gallery_681_3268_116189.jpg

I've started to set up the signage for this building but am struggling with the slogan on the top of the roof. It appear to have an airliner either end then TWA and something something America to America.....I've not been able to find a better picture than this one 

of mine..........anyone out there know what it says or able to manipulate the image?

p1521642056-6.jpg

gallery_681_3476_71348.jpg

• Like 2